Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #141 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Videos looking great. Still waiting on mine, and will for sure be mounting it to the 450. I like the swash shots, but I will be mounting it up front somehow. The guys at my plank club can't wait to see it in action.
700 size scale Bell Jet Ranger 206BIII, 450 size scale UH-1N, 180 size fpv race/freestyle quad w/Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, mCPX BL, some edf jets and a plank or two, DX8, AMA# 923167, Clubs: Silver Hills RC, Coeur D Alene Modelers Association
JasonJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #142 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

here's one I took today with it at lunch. I put some velcro on the top of the middle of my canopy and just pushed it on real good, no zip ties this time. I thought I might get too many vibrations, but it seems like a good hassle free mounting spot!

I still need to get the hang of flying more slowly and smoothly for the camera. My next flight I'll try and keep the camera aimed at some thing longer without all the movement and the world constantly spinning by.

obsconder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #143 (permalink)
Fear the Spork!!

cool! i cant wait to get mine.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #144 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsconder View Post
create a file called "tag.txt" and put it directly on the keychain (not in any subfolders). The contents of the file are.....

[date]
2009/11/23
11:30:00

there must be a space(invisible) after both the date AND time.
I am having hard time figureing this time stamp out this is what i have done so far
I open my removeable disk e, then i make a new file click on properties, name the file tag.txt How do you add the date/time format to the tag.txt file?
Old 11-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #145 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Obsconder, no one can accuse you of being afraid to fly your 450 away from you... Awesome!
700 size scale Bell Jet Ranger 206BIII, 450 size scale UH-1N, 180 size fpv race/freestyle quad w/Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, mCPX BL, some edf jets and a plank or two, DX8, AMA# 923167, Clubs: Silver Hills RC, Coeur D Alene Modelers Association
Old 11-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #146 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

place this file in the root directory of your camera, with nothing else on the card and turn it on and then off in a few seconds. I use an external card reader to do this and I assume you can do it with it in the camera.

Edit the file to the current date and time.
Attached Files
File Type: txt tag.txt (36 Bytes, 246 views)
Old 11-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #147 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I like the camera, the problem I have, and I know its trite, is that the mic is waaaay to sensitive. It was designed to pick up the slightest sound at a distance, in the frequency range that the human voice produces. It will auto-adjust the volume, but only so far.

I have been experimenting all day with my Trex 500 and so far the best place I've found to mount it for sound purposes, is out on the nose of the canopy. I just have to figure out a decent way of doing it without ruining the canopy.

I tried on top of the canopy, near the head and its so loud it clips the audio.

I tried a special plywood mount under the skids and out front under the skids. No clipping, but grating to listen to. I have tried a variety of foams and velcros and straps and I've about come to the conclusion that because the mic is hard soldered to the board, that the camera picks up sound through the case. If you secure it well enough to stay steady, the case resonates. Plugging the hole in the end does no good. I have listened to other vids of this and you can hear the clipping..(lots of static pops) so know I'm not alone in this.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Well, ... eyes really, it is a forum after all.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #148 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here's my first attempt... not good.. vibes.. I just taped between the skids... so that didn't work so well.. hmmm... canopy eh? On my pro the paddles would hit it with just a little cyclic?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mount.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	125875  
Old 11-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #149 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I taped mine to the bottom of the nose of the canopy, right in front of the canopy clip on the battery tray. I just strapped it down with one long piece of masking tape. Quick and easy, held perfectly, and no vibes.

I'm still going to give the horizontal stabilizer a shot...

I shot a bunch of video today using it as a hat cam. Just about every time I did something worthy of showing, the heli was off camera...I need to angle the camera up more on the bill of my hat. I could piece together some stuff, but I don't feel like it.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:03 PM   #150 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by helis101 View Post
I am having hard time figureing this time stamp out this is what i have done so far
I open my removeable disk e, then i make a new file click on properties, name the file tag.txt How do you add the date/time format to the tag.txt file?
you don't need to mess with properties, the file is named "tag.txt" and the contents of the file contains the date and time. That stuff about the date and time is what you type into the file. When the keychain startsup it looks for the file opens it and reads the data you typed and sets the time accordingly, then deletes the file.

Nice video Slyster!!! The vibration wasn't too bad, putting it on anything more solid should really improve the wobblyness. Nice flying!
obsconder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 12:18 AM   #151 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael503 View Post
place this file in the root directory of your camera, with nothing else on the card and turn it on and then off in a few seconds. I use an external card reader to do this and I assume you can do it with it in the camera.

Edit the file to the current date and time.
Thanks for the help guys i figured it out didnt know you used note pad to edit the file, im alittle computer illiterate

Last edited by helis101; 11-24-2009 at 07:30 PM..
helis101 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #152 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This ones better (for vibes) mounted with velcro on top of the canopy. Short flight is an old tired lipo.

Not sure why date/time is blinky..?

Old 11-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #153 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I got the first one I ordered, the one with the internal memory, still waiting on the second one.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #154 (permalink)
Registered Users

Vibes finally better.

I just wanted to share my experience so far with this camera. Mine is the one that uses the external micro SD card. I first tried mounting under the canopy with 2 gyro pads, velcro and some electric tape just in case it came loose. VIBES! I then tried placing the camera between the skids with no luck at all. My EXI 450 has plastic flexible skids that I believe contributed alot to the vibes. I tried securing the camera between the skids on coffee stir sticks, on an old CF blade cut to size and to a piece of velcro stretched between the 2 skids. ... All with terrible results even though the camera was very secure using rubber bands wrapped around 2 nails.

Finally, I went back to the canopy with the same mounting technique as before, but this time I strapped the camera down much tighter with the electric tape. Before I had left it loose similar to way I have loose velcro wrapped around my gyro. Well, it seems the problem was in my velcro mount. About half of the camera is not physically secured due to the buttons and this caused vibes. Once I snugged the camera down tight with the electric tape, the vibes went away!
Blade MSR
DX6i
Ty01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #155 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Although I have not had the privilege yet of filming a full flight video, My experiments have yielded similar results, using small hops and different camera mount locations on my Trex500 for testing. I find that mounting to the canopy induces video instability. Mounting to a plywood support under the frame works best for vid stability for me, but the issue I'm having is with audio. The mic on these things is hyper sensitive. I either get a resonant whine at full speed, or lots of clipping, depending on where I place it. I tried muffling the mic with a piece of urethane foam and although that helps, It induces a low volume noise much like wind over a coke bottle.

I did some static tests and have found that the hole for the mic is useless. Tests involving speaking and either covering or uncovering the mic hole made no difference in sound volume or quality and neither did camera angle to the sound source. For purposes of sound recording, its best to consider the entire camera case as an omnidirectional mic diaphragm.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #156 (permalink)
Fear the Spork!!

yeehaw! my cameras arrive this morning and they work as advertised. simply amazing.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #157 (permalink)
Registered Users

20 days, no camera. Getting worried.
Kington99 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #158 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm at day 21.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #159 (permalink)

Unhappy My camera died

my camera has died after 2 flights. it started not turning on unless I pushed the reset with a needle then I tried to do some tricks I was told like holding down the on button and plugging in the usb plug but now its completely dead and my pc wants to install a driver but it cant find it. can anyone help me with this? maybe give me a call at 850-228-2781 im Paul . Thanks Pals
mastic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #160 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

On day 15.

This not definately not standard registered airmail from Hong Kong. It arrives within a week usually.

Are they sending it on a slowboat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in