Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #161 (permalink)
Fear the Spork!!

I ordered mine on Nov. 9. I just got mine today in the mail. yeah...its defintely on the slow boat. but its probably on its way.

Just tested mine out on my back yard. looks good. just gotta work on the mount with least vibes.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgvrWwa5KpM"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2009, 05:27 PM   #162 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastic View Post
my camera has died after 2 flights. it started not turning on unless I pushed the reset with a needle then I tried to do some tricks I was told like holding down the on button and plugging in the usb plug but now its completely dead and my pc wants to install a driver but it cant find it. can anyone help me with this? maybe give me a call at 850-228-2781 im Paul . Thanks Pals
I found that the included usb cable was not charging the camera battery. I used an existing usb cable that I had and it charged fine. When the camera is fully charged, the flashing yellow light will become solid.
Blade MSR
DX6i
Ty01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #163 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

when I first got mine, it would flash when charging, but no longer. It seems to record about 10 mins of video and then quits. The light will not come on even when plugged into a charger, until it sits for a bit. I am currently examining the lipo and its circuit and I will post what I know here later. I have the version with the external MicroSD card

What I know so far is that voltage measured where the lipo attaches to the main board is about 4V, but is 4.1v when a usb cable is attached, so the battery circuit is getting voltage from the usb but the charge indicator light is not flashing, it just stays on solid. Although I have seen the flashing charging action, my instructions state that the light will be on solid when charging and go out when done... sooooo, I'm confused. My instructions state that the video is 640 x 480, but its really 720x480, so the instructions are not reliable, maybe they're for an earlier unit.
------------------------------
There is a circuit board in the battery pack itself that is probably a LVC of some sort. I am testing that theory now, discharging the battery thru that board with an LED and monitoring the voltage at the pack.

EDIT: I just ran the battery down, out of the camera to 3.15V and the Hyperion charger indicated 0%. The circuit board is not a LVC, or if it is, it sucks at it. It is however, a short stop. If current drain exceeds a certain amount, it will cut the voltage it passes back to about 0.2V and if no load is present, it will resume power transfer in a minute or so.
-----------------------------------------
In my case, there is a possibility that the battery circuit leads were touching the back plate of the camera, causing an intermittent short. I will correct that upon assy.
EDIT: careful inspection with an eye loop and 3 pairs of reading glasses reveals pitting in the back of the camera body, so yes a short was occurring, prol due to vibration. If anyone has mounted one of these to a Trex 500 and has a shake free video, Puuuleeeeeze let me know.
------------------------------------------------
Connecting the mainboard to a computer via usb with the battery out of the unit will light the "on" indicator and it will still function as a drive in windows, so power down the usb is not an issue.
Edit: this worked once, it did not work when I tried a second time. After assy, my camera would not start or be recognized by the computer. At midnight, I became less obsessed and went to bed. This morning it works ... so far. I am now having memory card troubles. I tested the card when new for speed and capacity, but now it seems flakey on speed and hangs when deleting things. I just reformated the card, in the camera vs the card reader and it only let me reformat to 7GB vs 7.42GB in Winblows.... . I'm running a drive test on it now in the camera vs the reader.
Its probably damaged, possibly when the camera shut down numerous times while writing.
Edit: 9:20 AM... its dead Jim. while performing a read/write test with H2testW, I lifted the USB cable to look at the light on the camera... which is solid, no matter what I do, and it just went out, the program crashed and I had to perform a low level format on the card in a card reader. The camera will not turn on again, no matter what. The card is probably toast too. (i have a second card that I use for comparison and it wont turn on with that one either. I'm considering throwing in the towel.

Edit Edit: I was able to repair the SD card with this formatting utility. Windows will not format my class 6 card properly. the write speed is about half of what it should be and the computer hangs when trying to delete large files. The card is fine, the camera is still belly up.
------------------------------

I have charged the battery with a Hyperion Duo and can only get it up to 4.17V at rest, so as expected, its a crappy lipo. I guess I shouldn't be to disappointed that they didn't stick a 35C Vx cell in here

Last edited by michael503; 11-28-2009 at 11:10 AM..
michael503 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2009, 06:32 PM   #164 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Today I got footage of another heli flying.. turned out pretty cool. I just mounted right at the top of my 450pros canopy with velcro.. works fairly well. Minimal vibes. I post the video later.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:34 AM   #165 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default OK NEW one

Here's my latest $15 keychain cam video.. me taking some video of Towpilots 500...

Fun stuff for sure!

Old 11-28-2009, 01:42 AM   #166 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i just can't seem to get rid of the vibes with the cam onboard. so, i just strapped it to my hat and tried a helmet cam. try #1 had the heli out of frame. try #2 was a bit better but i must have had my had on crooked--heli always seems to be just off to the left.

may try some more tomorrow. but, aside from the slow sensor (boomerang blades) the video quality is not too bad at all for a $35 investment.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:54 AM   #167 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice flight Cudaboy... mine would have been JUST as good but I had a camera on my heli... hehe...
Old 11-28-2009, 01:59 AM   #168 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well I jumped on the band wagon. Except I went with this camera instead. The first test went pretty good considering it was a dark over cast day.

Last edited by spootman; 11-28-2009 at 02:18 AM.. Reason: trouble post video
spootman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2009, 02:06 AM   #169 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

nice video too... no doubt the exact same guts as the rest of the cams.. even has the blinking date stamp.. but with AP you need to fly steady and upright and SMOOTH.. not all that 3D crap!
Old 11-28-2009, 02:10 AM   #170 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Lol, my flying ain't that good yet.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:13 AM   #171 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I tried wraping the youtube tags around the url but all I get is big blank space. Am I doing something wrong?
you just wrap the hash, not the whole URL. IOW, just the Ulcu2UCM2gs from your link.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:19 AM   #172 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks, would have never figured that out on my own.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #173 (permalink)
Fear the Spork!!

not bad for a $15 camera
Old 11-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #174 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

stable video, how a bout a pic of how you have it mounted?
Old 11-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #175 (permalink)
Fear the Spork!!

I used velcro to secure the camera. mounted right on top of the canopy. the hook part of the velcro is on the camera itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camera mount.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	126353  
Old 11-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #176 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I tried that, before mine died, and could not get rid of the shake anywhere near as well as you did. One of the things I did to keep from buggering the finish on the canopy was to put down a big piece of painters tape and stick velcro to that. I had mine mounted higher up, closer to level, at the back of the cabopy
Old 11-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #177 (permalink)
Registered Users

LOL, I just won one on ebay for 1c

I cant wait to try it out, its definitely becoming a new heli sensation haha.
eggmcmuffinplz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #178 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here is a test vid with the 640x480 camera with the internal memory. First thing noticed is the fuzziness on the lower left. The lens is not centered in the hole, so I will fix that.This was more of a proof of concept for the mounting until my 720x480 camera arrives. Once I got airborne I saw my tracking was off by a half inch and remembered I didn't readjust anything after a mild crash a few weeks back. I also hadn't topped the battery off after that crash so I had to make it quick and easy. Conditions were very overcast on the verge of snow/rain and it was 33 degrees out.

Below you can see the mount. I used velcro to hold the camera on, and also cut a slit in the canopy on each side of the camera so a strap can secure it. Since it is a plastic canopy, I have duck tape on the inside to strengthen the canopy. I have to go through the helicopter and devibe it and adjust tracking, hopefully my better cam will show.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEUG_TQEbkk[/ame]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	450cameraship.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	126376  
700 size scale Bell Jet Ranger 206BIII, 450 size scale UH-1N, 180 size fpv race/freestyle quad w/Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, mCPX BL, some edf jets and a plank or two, DX8, AMA# 923167, Clubs: Silver Hills RC, Coeur D Alene Modelers Association
JasonJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #179 (permalink)
Registered Users

My first test on a Phase 3 F16. Too windy for my skill level with my 450, so the plank went first. External memory model.

squeky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #180 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

squeky, what software are you using to convert the vid and add audio?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in