Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 02:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Please help new potential Protos owner

I am a beginner and I am choosing my second CP heli between Atom and Protos 500. I almost made up my mind on the Protos. This is what I am thinking to buy, can you please advise/suggest?
- Plastic kit with motor and ESC. Is the ESC type important? Is carbon frame a must?
- MKS servos: DS9670A for cyclic and DS8910 for the tail from hobbyking. It's $200 for all 4 servos! Any better option?
- Turnigy nano-tech 2650mah 6s 25-50A. For less than $40 a piece looks like a very good option.
- Do you think using wooden blades is a good idea for learning? What brand can you recommend?
- What parts do you think I should stock? I'd rather stock few more parts than being grounded for a week waiting for them.
- What Spektrum radio? Is AR6200 good?
- Can you recommend an online store?
- Hey, anything you can suggest.
mstolpner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2010, 04:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have both the Atom and the Protos, I think you can't go work buying either one.

The cyclic servos are fine got them at the atom, I had the mks 8910 was working good, changed it on the atom to a BLS 251 now the tail is just awesome, on the protos which is my beater I use savox 1250mg and the mks 8910.

As it is my trainning machine I have choosen the plastic kit, cheap to replace in case of a hard meeting with the ground, the CF is required if you plan to stretch it, otherwise the plastic one is fine.

For blades I use SAB and Radix, but a friend who is still a beginner and only does gentle sports flying at best got some cheap fibre blades from HK 12bucks per pair I wouldn't use them for 3d but for a beginner they're ok.

I also use the nano tech 6s 2650mah on both helis they're really good for the price also charge em at 13A no issues so far.

About the parts the usual suspect ones, belt, maingear, spindle, mainshaft, tail shaft, tail boom & supports, tailblades etc.

For 6s I would also consider to buy the 13t pinion or even the 12t to get a bit lower HS which tames it down and also rewards longer flight time.

About the radio, I would rather use the AR7000, I use mini vbar with spektrum satelites.

For the ESC I haven't much expierence with the YGE ESC it seems to be ok, I use kontronik Mini Jazz on the 250se and Jive on the Atom as those are godlike when it comes to gov mode. on the protos I still have the YGE stock ESC and sofar no issues with it, but I use thr curves on it, need to try gov mode.

For more in depth details regarding the protos others here can give you more info as I have my protos only since one week, just gave you same general infos.

Regards
PoD
JR 11x DSM2

Last edited by PitchOrDie; 08-15-2010 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: mistyped AR7100,instead of AR7000
PitchOrDie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

PitchOrDie : would you please compare your Atom and Protos birds ?

I already have a Protos and am happy with it, but Atom 500 attract me too.
I am considering getting one Atom when my Protos will met ground too hard to be repaired.

why did you get those two 500 helis ?

ease of maintenace ?
how does it handle in time ? parts quality ? longevity ?
Old 08-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessie View Post
PitchOrDie : would you please compare your Atom and Protos birds ?
I actually can't tell you much about the Protos because I only have it since tuesday and only did arround 10 packs but so far I like it !

Quote:
why did you get those two 500 helis ?
The reason why I got them both is, that I use the protos as beater machine for practice 3D and my atom for tricks I'm 100% confident to fly. Also having two birds isn't that bad when one is out of order because of a meeting with the ground. The atom is something unique at least here in switzerland you won't find many of those out at the flying field and I really like the look with the fat boom and no support struts. For flying specially FBL it's a dream, agile, powerful, stable. I also plan to stretch the atom to 550 size in the near future.

Quote:
ease of maintenace ?
how does it handle in time ? parts quality ? longevity ?
The atom is pretty easy for maintenance got well over 100 flights on it and haven't had a part worn out, except 2-3 bearings, and the belt and when crashing ofc (the atom is pretty sturdy takes crashes not to hard . the quality on the atom kit is just superior the parts are flawless and all fit perfect, but this comes at a price the spares for the atom are much more expensive than the protos, that was also a reason why I picked up the protos, as the parts are cheap and widely available, where for the atom we only have one distributor in switzerland.

I will report back here when I got more flights on the protos, then I can really compare those two birds, but that is said if you pick an atom you won't regret it, it's an awesome machine, if you need further info about the atom feel free to post here or pm me, also have a look over at the compass section on HF.

Regards
PoD
JR 11x DSM2
Old 08-15-2010, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks. I'll be pleased to read news about your atom / protos life.

I've read many posts in helifreak atom's section, and I like atom design too.
parts availabitly is more complicated than MSH (and crash cost is always too expensive), but I hope Compass will gain more shop support in future. I'll keep an eye on it for the last day of my Protos ...

I like to fly a bit different too, and now everyone has a Protos

btw Protos is a real great flying bird (my first 500) and can be tamed down to fly the gentle 3d I like at low head speed. (2300 rpm flybar)

let us know how you like in the future.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also like to fly different, and before buying the 2nd protos I looked at the Atom too, as the kit price was not very high.
But without distributers here, only a few in Europe and the price of the parts, those were the reasons for not getting an Atom. I'm still afraid to fly the Protos and crash. I imagine an Atom...
But I honestly believe it's a hell of a heli, especially now with the upcoming stretch kit.
Nevertheless, the Protos also is a beast. With the stretch kit, it tracks much better. I't like having a much more precise heli keeping up the low weight.
Multiplex Parkmaster 3D
whisperdancer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Do you still can use 6s 2650 mah on a stretched protos ? Or is it suboptimal regarding CG and or flighttime ?

The atom is a bit heavier and its recommended to go for 3000-3300mah batts when streched to 550.
JR 11x DSM2
Old 08-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I've used my Hyperions VX 2600mAh on the stretch, and put back around 2150mAh on a 5:00 min flight. No 3D though. Switched from 2450rpm to 2700rpm in mid flight time.
Multiplex Parkmaster 3D
whisperdancer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for the info, sounds good. Hmm as I have a plastic protos it isn't an option yet, but good to know.
JR 11x DSM2
Old 08-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks so much! Very helpful!

Which cyclic servo MKS 9660 or 9670 do you think is better for the Protos? MKS 9670 has 2.2kg.cm and 9660 has 3.8 kg.cm. 9670 is quite faster.
9660: http://www.mks-servo.com.tw/goods.php?goods_id=9660a
9670: http://www.mks-servo.com.tw/goods.php?goods_id=9670a
Old 08-15-2010, 10:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am using MKS 9660A’s in the cyclic and they are great. I went for the titanium gear since they were lighter and a little quicker than the metal gear. That said, given my level of flying, I don’t think I would notice any difference if I was to use the metal gear ones, except I guess a little more slop in them. I have about 40 flights on the 9660A’s now and they have survived 2 crashes. They are definitely quick enough for the cyclic. I am also using the 8910 and it is working well with the Spartan Gyro.

I would think you would be very happy with the new plastic kit with the Scorpion motor and the YGE speedy, although I have no complaints about my original MSH speedy and Lipotec motor.

Also I bought some of these Blades but I haven’t used them yet because the stock SAB blades seem to rock!
JR 9XVII

Last edited by OSOFAM; 08-15-2010 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: Added blade link
OSOFAM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 03:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

These were excatly the blades I was talking about my friend uses.
JR 11x DSM2
Old 08-18-2010, 12:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought the Protos today!
Old 08-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstolpner View Post
I bought the Protos today!
Welcome to the clan!

What kit did you go for in the end?
- Click here to view my RC Flight Log -
ted_wears_a_hat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 01:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you! I bought plastic kit with ESC, SAB blades and motor from amain. I also bought nano-tech 3000mah/6s batteries and MKS servos from HK. I still need to buy a radio, 12t pinion, and some spare parts to keep me flying. I am very excited.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice to hear, solid setup, enjoy ! Report back when you maidened it.
JR 11x DSM2
Old 08-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good deal, another Protos in WA state! Welcome to the group.

Doug B.
dougb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 01:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you so much for your help. This forum is amazing!

I will be building it for the next couple of weeks and let you know.

I would also like to praise amainhobbies.com. They WILL go extra mile to make sure you are happy and their prices are among the best on the internet!
Old 08-20-2010, 03:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I wouldn't have the patience to build it witgin a couple of weeks, finished the build in 2 days if you have questions regarding the build ask here, and ckeckout bob's build vids in the sticky.
JR 11x DSM2
Old 08-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have too much paitence either, but I don't have much time on my hands and I want to keep flying my b400 too. I also have to wait for servos.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in