Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Bergen R/C Helicopters

Bergen R/C Helicopters Bergen Intrepid 90 Intrepid Turbine Observer Industrial Twin Observer Turbine Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Cool Kustom's Bergen Intrepid Gasser Build

I have gotten a few pm's about doing a build thread for this bird. I'm not a heli expert of any sorts ,But I can make them cool looking. If you have seen my wraps on these helis. I think I will take this a step further so I can break it down, so you can see how I make the custom parts first hand. I'm sure most of you have seen the frames I made for mine. I have only finished the lower set because I'm thinking I would take pics on how I did this in case I decide to make more for sale for other Bergen owners. So if you like, I can take you threw all the steps so you can see first hand how I do them.

Now this will not be a overnight post. so I can give you the best information so I may be able to represent this company in the best way. What I would start out with is how i plan on building this machine in my vision and tell you my plans. I will do my best to keep it on track.

My Concept

When you think of Bergen's helicopters what comes to mind for me atleast is American pride, so I figure I will stick with the simple red,white,and blue cause those color don't run. I will being doing every part in this color idea from the frames to the servos no detail will be left out.. I wish I could get into for what i have for a canopy but to tell the truth I have started many concepts and can't decide on one , so i think i will have more canos then my wife has shoes..

Enough of my ramblings let get started I will spare you the first pic of the box of parts I'm sure everyone has seen this before,but I will say you need a shop vac and a big bag for the packing .. in my case i put them in a bag and my kids use it like a bean bag thanks Chris that they liked more then what santa brought them .

The first thing i will show is how I made my fames so instead of making one huge post I will make a lot of smaller ones. Thanks for reading

Kustom
Kustom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
NERD

Subscribed.

I am looking forward to your build. I think it will be one great American Helicopter.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

You've got my attention

Cletus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default My frames

Ok, as I said before, I will break it all down to show as much as I can with out using video..

The first thing I had to address was how to get the frames in the computer to the right scale. I tried many ways but they were taking up way too much time so I opted for option B; I went to a copy place that has those huge flat bed scanners and got them to pop them on a CD for me. OOO $10 no big deal that's cheaper than what I charge my customers for my regular work. This is what I ended up with:

As you can see, it's not to scale here for certain reasons but you can see what I started with. The next step was for me to bring it into my editing software, clean them up and set them up for making up a template:

As you can see on the right in the same photo you can see what the finished product looks like stacked. If you would like to learn how I did this PM me because doing these steps is very time consuming. I don't want to stray too far from the point. In my next update I will show how I put them on the frames.

UPDATE

This is how we going to install them. As you can see in the pic below, it starts as a simple print - it's not pre-cut due to the fact of speed. It's just as easy to trace it out with a razor knife.

You can see it in the picture due to the size before I start cutting this out, I'm looking for an outline I made and making a bunch of extra cuts so i can remove the extra in large pieces.

All finished! 10 mins time and this is what you end up with. Now on to the FUN part!

Unless you think you're special for some reason, ALWAYS clean your parts I use an automotive prep for painting . I also like to use a primer for under my graphics. It's not a must-do thing and I will show you why later.

The primer I use is a 3M product called Primer 94 that's mainly used by graphic companies to make things stay in tight joints such as wraps. (I use it on the wraps I make for people). If you happen to get a hold of this and decide to try it out, be warned that it will act like a super glue and 9 times out of 10 you will damage your print if not careful . LESS IS MORE

The best way to get this right is to start in the center and work out towards the sides. I just let it lay on the part, - NOT pressing down or it will stick - making sure all my sides are lining up. I mentioned earlier about an outline I put on it; when you trim up the frames you will trim that line off during trimming so it's no biggy. Please take note that I did not cot out any of the white parts in the center or the other. The main reason for that is so it will stay straight and not make it harder to install.

Now that it's in place, to get it stuck down I just use a squeegee or a credit card - whatever will work.

Now that it's all down good and flat it's time to make sure it will stay without peeling up or shrinking. This material can be heated up to make it stick better or make it stretch. In this case I'm using a heat gun on LOW to heat it up and make the glue and primer one. If you're unsure about this I'd say you can use a hair dryer to get the same effect. If you get too close you will melt this stuff fast. I'm holding the heat gun away at least a foot off the material and working it back and forth. You know you have it when you notice that white area of the print that not supported on the back side starts to flex by tightenng on the surface.

One thing you can do when warm is go over it again with a squeegee just to make sure it's down good. Here you go just my little way of making something special to stand out from the pack .

I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I did writing this .

In my next post I will be talking about the lower gear and the lower frame build. I'm not going into a step by step just little tips that might save you time .

Last edited by Skiddz; 01-07-2010 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: Cleaned up at Kustom's request
Old 01-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

edited above for a update
Old 01-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So is it done yet??
I really like the way it looks so far!!
Old 01-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Man! Thats going to look too good to put a canopy on!
EDinCT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

thanks for the kind words
Old 01-07-2010, 05:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Looking good Gary. You're already quicker than bill. You've taken the pieces out of the box within two weeks of getting the heli.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Heartless...
Old 01-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
NERD

Thanks for the Pepsi Gary........
Old 01-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Opps... shamless product plug
Old 01-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm subscribing, this will be a special build. Thanks for sharing Kustom!
Old 01-08-2010, 09:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
NERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kustom View Post
Opps... shamless product plug

Post #4, pic #4.... I figured since you had some Pepsi I would grab one out of the fridge.

Nice build thread.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just have to ask. Why are there white areas where the frame openings are. Couldn't one just complete the flag pattern and then trim out the openings and edges later?
AverageJoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 11:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Joe,
Why yes I could have but it you look at the pics more carefuly you will notice there is a patern as in the wavy flag that has to match up with the lowers when stacked . idesign stuff to make it simple besides the big hole in the center is the starting point if it was not there you would not know if the tops and the bottoms would line up right . it's not that i'm tryign to save time but if i sent you to big flags and said here ya go they will match but it's on you to make it work. i won't sell or make anything that a normal person could not do. I talked with Chris about it as well today. if i make them for the Bergen owners i would want o make it a easy up grade.
p.s. another reason for the holes is for me to make the patches that i will be wraping my servos with .. I hope this made sence

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
I just have to ask. Why are there white areas where the frame openings are. Couldn't one just complete the flag pattern and then trim out the openings and edges later?
Old 01-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Now is it done??
Old 01-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is going to be interesting. I can understand aligning the match. I will probably understand more as the project progresses. I found a previous thread with a canopy you did. Really wish I would have seen that one in person. Nice talent you possess.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/100_2341.jpg
Thanks for sharing your efforts. Waiting patiently.
AverageJoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2010, 12:02 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

In my albums is another canopy Gary did also. The one in the Beam album.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

THanks Joe
That was The First Bergen cano I did. Chris was one of the first people to give me a shot to show what i can do, But yes you will notice when i get futher along in the build why i do things a certin way. I'm working on some stuff on the lowers and the landing gear I missed with the pic's but i can still add them and point out the tips

Tags
bergen intrepid, build, frame, kustom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in