Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
HF Support

Default Compass 6HV - Build Videos

Moving on from the success of the Atom, Compass replace their well regarded but not widely flown Knight 600E. Several notable features of this model include direct swash to servo linkages - a smaller frame and canopy and a 12S power system using a new 8 pole 540KV Compass motor. About to be debuted at Nurnberg Toy Fair, Compass kindly sent me a pre-production 6HV to have a look at, so naturally I was keen to share this with you

The kit I was sent includes new Compass 615 CF blades and a HobbyWing 70A HV opto-coupled ESC (no BEC). In order to keep CG in the right place with a small frame the 6HV has been designed to take two stacked 6S packs and Compass clain that the 2600 or 3300 mAh packs used with the Atom should get the bird in the air with a 4-5 min flight time.

Atom 6HV - Video 1 - What's in the box - 98 MB wmv

Atom 6HV - Video 2 - Frame & Motor - 56MB wmv

Atom 6HV - Video 3 - Servos & Tail - 137MB wmv

Atom 6HV - Video 4 - Mast Assembly - 106MB wmv

Atom 6HV - Video 5 - Linkages - 100MB wmv

Atom 6HV - Video 6 - Setup - 111MB wmv

Last edited by Mercuriell; 04-09-2010 at 07:15 PM..
Mercuriell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2010, 04:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default NEW - Compass Atom 6HV Build Videos

Installing the 3 cyclic servos straightforward - I used the Align 610 and no spacers were required to get the elevator ball in the midline - Compass supplies two sets of servo arms JR & Futaba with holes drilled at 22.5 and 25mm - we'll see what collective and cyclic range that gives.

The tail unit is supplied with the grip-flip mod ie leading edge control and was very stiff - this was due to corrosion on one of the grip-slider link pins and also VERY tight plastic grip-slider links which needed a LOT of re-sizing to free up the unit.

PS Initial mounting of the elevator servo with lugs outside the frame fouled the canopy mount so it was mounted inside - easy to jiggle through the two cutouts and ball link needed mounting on underside of servo arm.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040511.JPG
Views:	12515
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	138054   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040513.JPG
Views:	12076
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	138056   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040521.JPG
Views:	11921
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	138166  

Last edited by Mercuriell; 02-07-2010 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: Add PS
Old 02-05-2010, 04:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

FInally got my layout for servos sorted out - I had a maiden flight on the w/e and learned that Futaba FASST systems aren't model specific - spooled up the 6HV with another models trannie settings - anyway no harm done but graunched out a Compass servo arm which I thought a little on the soft side - I am told that servo arms won't be included in the production kits - I elected to use some Mikado 20mm GF nylon arms and these went in very nicely and I am very happy with the setup - no mixing and good range of travel. I did have to go back to my original elevator servo mounting with the lugs outside the frame and despite my fears of fouling the canopy mount it seems OK. This video covers installing the rotor head and tail linkages and a note on ball sizing. Next vid will be on setting up and might even post my maiden flight!!!

Atom 6HV - Video 5 - Linkages - 100MB wmv
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040549.JPG
Views:	875
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	139702   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040548.JPG
Views:	908
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	139703   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040545.JPG
Views:	1032
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	139704  

Last edited by Mercuriell; 02-15-2010 at 03:58 PM..
Old 02-05-2010, 04:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

Installing the mast pretty straight forward - note it's the same as the 600E and 3dplus with the middle hole 40mm from the end. There does seem bit of spare mast going by the available swash travel judged by the washout pins and I thought it might look better lowering the rotor head by 5mm - have to see how it looks with those 615mm blades - don't want boom strikes !!

Swash the same as the other Knights and Odin but has a longer pin on one of the outer ring balls to locate in the anti-rotation device. Tail belt runs very true and doesn't foul the main gear as happens sometimes on the Atom 500. Had a problem with the phasing ring binding sorted out with a bit of Dremel correction to one of it's slots - not a big drama - starting to look like a heli now - very compact.

The new grips are nice and incorporate 2mm plastic spacers so that 10mm root blades slot straight in without annoying washers. Not much else of surprise in the rotor head - uses the same Delrin former with one inboard o-ring as the other Knights.

Atom 6HV - Video 4 - Mast Assembly - 106MB wmv
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040515.JPG
Views:	1012
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	138143   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040516.JPG
Views:	903
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	138144   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040517.JPG
Views:	916
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	138145  

Last edited by Mercuriell; 02-07-2010 at 02:16 AM..
Old 02-05-2010, 04:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

Now we have a look at the new Compass motor - 6mm shaft 540kV 8 pole offering - very nice - uses same bearings (696zz) as the counterbearing and looks easy to break down. Motor cut out needs the corners rounding out at the top to allow the motor to move in it's slots to adjust backlash. Also need to sand off the sharp edges of the frame while we're at it. Struts same pattern as the Atom held in place with self tappers - smaller than the Knight but a bit larger than the Atom.

Atom 6HV - Video 2 - Frame & Motor - 56 MB wmv

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040505.JPG
Views:	12228
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	137954   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040441.JPG
Views:	12052
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	137955  

Last edited by Mercuriell; 02-06-2010 at 12:51 AM..
Old 02-05-2010, 04:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
HF Support

SO first off we have a look at what's included in the kit and show it up against the 600E frame to contrast the difference.

Atom 6HV - Video 1 - What's in the box - 98 MB wmv

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6HV_sidecutout.jpg
Views:	10245
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	150317  

Last edited by Mercuriell; 04-09-2010 at 07:19 PM..
Old 02-05-2010, 11:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Another Dingovillian build series, subscribed.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Outstanding!
(I don't need another helicopter, I don't need another helicopter, I don't need another helicopter)
((If I repeat this enough, maybe I will believe it...))
Old 02-06-2010, 12:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFG View Post
Another Dingovillian build series, subscribed.
Spot on mate! - we have indoor dunnies too !

Supporting wombat awareness since 2010

Old 02-06-2010, 01:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

That frame looks alot like the 450se V2, it's freaky.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Location: Winnebago IL Where the politicians are MORE corrupt-Thanks alot Blago/Burris/Daley etc...

grips look nice. Head block looks suspect though. Frame does look ALOT like the 450 pro though lol. With Compases track record for distributers in the US, I would be afraid to buy one of their kits. They seem decent and all from a user stand point, but with so many other well supported options in the US, I'd be afraid I'd be left high and dry like some of the Knight users have been for spares at certain times here.
Scorpion Power Systems/Batteries
Spartan RC
John Cook is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Frame does look ALOT like the 450 pro though lol."

The frames look a lot like the original Atom (which first hit the States about a year and a half ago).

When I built my 450 Pro, my first thought was that the frames looked a lot like a smaller version of the Atom frames...
Old 02-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't see much, if any resemblance to the TRex... The SE's are the ones w/ the stacked frames, right? I am shocked at how exactly it looks like a scaled up Atom. I'm a bit disappointed, actually. I was hoping for something new and intriguing.
Jimmy! is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jimmy,

The Trex SE's had the stacked frame.

The Pro has single frames, in a very familiar layout (not identical to the Atom, but similar).

Servo mounting in the Pro is similar to the Walkera #60 (and some others).
Old 02-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiracerj View Post
I am shocked at how exactly it looks like a scaled up Atom. I'm a bit disappointed, actually. I was hoping for something new and intriguing.
Well the servo-swash direct coupling is new and 12S on a 600 size is pretty intriguing - I think this is a very pretty heli and I can see it is going to be VERY fast and agile - I can't wait to get it in the air !!

Anyway 3rd video is going up now with servo tail installation - if you haven't noticed I'm adding in the posts from the top with pics and comment just to make it look tidy

Last edited by Mercuriell; 02-06-2010 at 05:46 PM..
Old 02-07-2010, 02:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
HF Support

Added in the mast and rotor head installation here
Old 02-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am surprised that you need to mod the frames for the motor wires. It's not hard, but you shouldn't have to grind away at parts in a modern build--at least I wouldn't expect it. The modding is not the issue to me, though. Seeing how identical this heli is to the Atom 500, I worry that they scaled things up, made a few changes, and said "looks good--ship it."

I would hope this is not the case from Compass.... What do you think, Mercuriell? Is it well thought out? Do you think the frames will come already modded in production kits?
Jimmy! is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I am surprised that you need to mod the frames for the motor wires. It's not hard, but you shouldn't have to grind away at parts in a modern build--at least I wouldn't expect it. The modding is not the issue to me, though. Seeing how identical this heli is to the Atom 500, I worry that they scaled things up, made a few changes, and said "looks good--ship it."

I would hope this is not the case from Compass.... What do you think, Mercuriell? Is it well thought out? Do you think the frames will come already modded in production kits?
this is one of 12 kits that were sent out for testing, you will not have to mod the frames on the production kits.
Prostarhobby.com
Dave Ketelhut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
As David answered and I mentioned in my vids - this is pre-production to iron out such bugs and is the first time that Compass have beta tested their products in this way. All the beta builders have ability to feedback to Compass any probs or suggestions they have.

Any problems I have had are FYI as a major reason Bob and I do the builds are to find potential gotchas and forewarn people or report on solutions. Certainly the frames will be modded for the motor before distribution but I mention it as the problem and solution may have relevance to other motors being fitted or even or makes of heli (had to do the same on the early Trex 600Es to accommodate larger motors).

Likewise the washout block sticking can affect ANY brand of heli (except FBL ) and so I feature it in the vids - they're not just there to promote but to educate the less experienced and inform the expert !

I don't have any deja-vu from my Atom 500 build - I really like this heli and think it is very well engineered and thought out and I am sure it is gonna be a big success for Compass
Old 02-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm thinking 12S is over-kill for a 600e heli. The Knight 600e looked (videos) to fly with plenty of authority on 8S. I can see 10S, but not 12S.

Don't get me wrong, I am really interested in this heli but I hope the frame and motor mount will support a Scorpion with the correct KV to fly less cells as I would no way fly 12S.

Bye the way, thank you kindly Mercuriell for doing this build thread, I appreciate it.
RMG2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.