Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Oh bye the way great flying everyone man this hobby is great.
crashkit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 03:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the kind words, but I know that there has to be better video than that! Let's keep the videos coming! Yesterday was a super day here, I just didn't have a video guy!
Old 02-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wish it wasn't snowing so I can get a video posted.Ny newest one wouldn't count,haven't flown in a few months and it was my 3rd flight with a new 90,kinda sloppy anyways .Nice flying everyone ,keep the vids coming .Awesome thread snjbird .
FlyingHigh 450 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here's one of each of my helis except the Trex 450...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Pe2AaYPyg[/ame]

This one is pretty old, but I like it
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCQmVheIZb4[/ame]

This like the 2nd or 3rd flight on my 500
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVg8g8sHV6M[/ame]

Here's one with stick cam, and a CRASH
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwR-vakIMWc[/ame]
Jasmine2501 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 04:30 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Jasmine,

Not exactly what I was looking for, but I did watch all of them. My challenge to you... get video of your 450 doing some stationay nose in, and some contolled upright circles! Or with your 250 if you have a spot to do it indoors, I realize it's winter, and you live in Colorado.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

This aint 3D...so does it count?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8r2iOlRjWM[/ame]
SidewaysLS4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

He is talked controlled flight... 3D is not controlled flight in this sense. I think snj is more referring to very slow multi orientations flight?

I can't see the vid above (blocked at work)
Old 02-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What I am looking for is video that shows you are proficient at flying in the 8 basic orientations. A good demo of this is a stationary pirouette, one inverted one right side up? Then the video should show you doing forward circles right side up both ways, and upside down, then backwards right side up, then upside down. I have some holes in my skills, good pilots have already picked them out. My right rudder is my weak side, I can do slow and fast inverted CW flight backwards, I can only just do CCW inverted backwards in very slow circles, but I am working on them. My backward upright circles have made lots of improvement in the last few weeks. I have been able to do them CCW for months, but it has only been in the last few weeks were I can do them were and when I want CW.

I maybe should have made this a contest... Win some small prize for the best video?
Old 02-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What you should do is just close the topic and make it a brand NEW contest.. but not until April when the other 80% of can fly and get the video!
Old 02-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I see what you mean... I usually don't do that kind of thing, but I've been watching the FAI videos lately, and that's mostly what they do - lots of hovering and slow piros. It is pretty hard to do that, and somewhat boring to watch. When the weather clears up I'll see if I can do some of that with the stick cam.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes Jasmine, it is hard to do, that is after all why it's a challenge! But it is not boring to do, just very demoralizing. because it is very easy to fail. In this hobby people take all different routes to get to their particular goal, in the end controlling the heli is necessary for any of these disciplines. Part of my goal here is to highlight the importance of learning to crawl before one walks, and to walk, before the task of running is undertaken... As long as it is safe, enjoying your flying is the most important thing, but if you really want to get better, it is hard to do on a weak to non-existent orientation foundation. I have had to go backwards and unlearn a bunch of "bad habits" I acquired along the way. Now I am laying a solid foundation of orientation skills to build on!
Old 02-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What irritates me no end is the "stick bangers" doing all their loops, flips, tic-tocs, pitch pumps......

..... completely TAIL IN!

Mwahahaha! What a horrible foundation! OMG I get embarrassed FOR them.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I love the idea of a good foundation as well. It is a bit hard to tell from video if someone is just flying slowly or if they are slow and controlled. Even stick banging is hard to tell who is controlling and who is just doing what comes next.

Maybe be clear on what you would be looking for exactly...like keeping heli at a certain height through the flight...and keeping the size of the circle fixed. A video of a heli going slowly against the blue sky can't always capture this control. I've seen some controlled flight competitions and they have paint on the ground to define the flying spots.

At any rate I've been trying to do all orientations and all directions for the past few days(winter time!).... even when I fly the real thing I find that if I spend my first pack doing slow and controlled my other packs are better and I'm really in control.

Nose out inverted hover is my latest challenge....I have to nail it before the weather warms up!
Old 02-10-2010, 05:34 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yeah I know what you mean. When I started trying IMAC with planes, I became a much better pilot overall. It's like golf... extremely hard to do it right, but any idiot can tell if you did it wrong
Old 02-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #35 (permalink)
Aox
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If I can get my assistant onboard to be cameraman, I'll make a 250 and 450 vid bringing the low slow flow on Friday. Will be nice to actually see a video of my flying. I can't promise I won't throw in a piroflip or two though, but I'll make those slow and flowy too

-Aox
AMA #902257 - Team Mysterious Raccoon (Yoyo)
Helifreak, Yoyofreak, Network/Systems Engineer, Musician, Deadhead
~~~~~~ Aox - The "A" is Silent! ~~~~~~
Aox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
Great idea... er.. where do you live?

Ah ha!

Give the rest of us 2 months and then I'm in!
Same here.

Last edited by drb2; 02-14-2010 at 02:25 PM..
drb2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The more I learn the more I am impressed with the guys who can smoothly fly a controlled flight. Completely different disipline than stick banging. Spending time on the sim getting my upright backward flight worked out. Only been working on it for a couple of nights but getting better. Still hard but watching SNJBirds low and slow with the 450 impressed the heck out of me. Smooth and controlled, looked really good!
Prontow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Controlled Flight Video Challenge

Most of my videos are the type you are asking for as most of us in this area don't do the slam bam flying seen in many heli videos so check through my Youtube videos and see if you find them pleasing. -
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=cdnskydog#g/u

and Vimeo videos at -
http://www.vimeo.com/user1251151/videos

Bob Grant - London, Canada
http://www.youtube.com/user/cdnskydog
skydog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't do inverted, or backwards yet.. I enjoy flying as scale like as possible, with nice 8's, circuits, approaches and transitions to hover, etc. I am flying loops and rolls on the sim now, and I am also practicing autos. As soon as I can get inverted, etc. I will try to dig up a camera operator and post a video. Great thread!
Old 02-11-2010, 06:23 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Skydog this is the one I liked the best, and I think it best matches the requirements of demonstrating good control over your model... nice job!

Align Trex 600 Electric Inverted (7 min 58 sec)
from SKYDOG on Vimeo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in