Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default What would u buy for $200??? (My Blade SR was a lemon)

Well guys, I do believe my Blade SR was indeed a lemon. To start with the main shaft was little bent from the factory. On spin up you could tell, but not when the head was spun up. I bought my SR from HobbyTown (awesome service by the way) and they gave me a free main shaft kit. But, before I could put the new main shaft in the tail went out (only a dozen hovers!) So I took it back for them to verify that the tail motor was bad and it was. So, they didn't have any motors or SR's in stock and instead they gave me my money back!! Is that awesome service or what??

I really do want to continue buying from these guys (I'd kinda like another SR). They carry E-flite and Heli-Max mainly.

What would you guys do and or buy??

Oh, I have a couple of FP heli's and would like to move into CP.

Thanks
TwinTurbo95 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

Do you have a good radio?
Do you have a sim?

If you really want to fly CP birds, you are going to need a GOOD radio (DX6i minimum preferably a Spektrum DX7 or Futaba 7C or better) AND a sim.

Not buying a sim will cost you a lot of money later. There is a recent thread of someone who has been training on Phoenix and successfully flew on their first attempt with NO training gear because they nailed down their technique on the sim. This route will save you HUGE in both money and frustration.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...hlight=phoenix

Buying one of those RTF package helis that don't have a quality radio are a waste of money. The only exception to this is the Blade 400 package, which comes with a DX6i, but then you have all of the problems associated with the B400 (there are some very long threads on this subject)... did I mention that the (upgraded) B400 is my favorite bird?
Helis and MRs wrecked while-U-wait since 2008-05-27
Creaky Cactus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

An Align 450 Sport with a DX6i or DX7 is a great place to start.... or a Blade 400 RTF.. but with that one you really want to replace the servos and gyro for it to fly really nice... and of course go over ALL the setup from scratch since RTF stands for Ready to Fail.

BUT... for $200.. you don't have much choice. Best would be to buy Phoenix sim.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey,

What sort of flying experience do you have? Any previous helis??

If no, I would recommend looking at a FP heli. While the blade 400 is a great package especially with the included dx6i, it's really twitchy if you dont have much experience and CP helis are more complicated to set up and repair in general.

I would recommmend looking at the E-Sky HoneyBee FP, easy enough to find online for less than $200 including shipping and its a very forgiving heli, most crashes you just straighten the blades and are back up in the air.
bandyn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 02:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yoy could always just take your wife out for a nice dinner, and forget that you ever learned about RC heli's.

Ultraviolet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I have a Walkera CB100 and Cb180D. I really love the CB100 because of the brushless motors. So I've grown into flyin these birds very well. I feel like I'm ready to step up, not 3D, but aggressive sport flyin anyway.

I've seen just about "all" the videos of the SR and some of them really hovered well. Mine really didn't, even after I setup the tracking and pitch. Like I said it had a slight bent main shaft (but didn't cause a vibration with high head speed)

Since I have some good experience wit Walkera there 4G6 looks like a nice bird. Small and able to fly outside is a plus for me. Plus I have 4 extra batteries from my CB100.

What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
Yoy could always just take your wife out for a nice dinner, and forget that you ever learned about RC heli's.

Now that is the best thing anyone has ever said!!! My wife probably wishes she never bought me that stupid Air Hog to begin with (that was what started it all! It's her fault! )
Old 03-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

WTF? not very helpful
Old 03-25-2010, 02:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

do you have a good radio like previously asked? my first package deal came with a crummy radio. Returned the package deal and got a futaba 7c after asking people here what they liked
Old 03-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know about the 4g6, but I know the 4g3 gets blown around outside by even the slightest breeze, so if you want to get into more outdoor flying you might want to go with something bigger.

For around the $200 mark that might be difficult. The E-Sky King3 and Belt-CP are in the price range but it would probably just be more worth your while to spend the little extra more on the Blade 400. The servo's will do fine for a while, especially if not doing super aggresive flight (I have also heard you will need to replace them eventually) and the dx6i is nice if you plan on adding to your fleet in the future
bandyn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 for the blade400.. I'm waiting to hear if he has a good radio, that will eat-up $200+
Old 03-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansone View Post
WTF? not very helpful
Maybe you lack the capacity to understand different forms of "help".

Maybe you should continue helping the man by telling him to spend more money than his means allow, Like suggesting that he buy a new radio.
Ultraviolet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

so far you're the only post not trying to answer his question, and now your upset.. "waaaaaaaaaaaa.."
Old 03-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
+1 for the blade400.. I'm waiting to hear if he has a good radio, that will eat-up $200+

Hence the big problem. I do not have a good transmitter.

I take it that there aren't any real good RTF's for around the $200-$300 range. (adding a benjamin might help my quest)
Old 03-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is a website around selling the blade 400 for $350 shipped.

A little intimidating at first but it was my starter CP and I'm glad it was.

You will want a better charger than the blade comes with, worth it in the long run for battery life.

EDIT- I was looking for the link but hopefully someone will have it and add it.

Also since you want to give that shop your business maybe see if they will come close to $400 for a blade 400 and buy there instead of the $350 online.
miamiheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought a RTF originally but was not satisfied with the radio. I sent it back and spent the money on a Futaba 7c.. If I was doing it again I would have researched more. The spektrum radios are popular here and somebody offers a RTF with spektrum,
maybe a HF with better memory can help us out
Old 03-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbo95 View Post
Hence the big problem. I do not have a good transmitter.

I take it that there aren't any real good RTF's for around the $200-$300 range. (adding a benjamin might help my quest)
If you are tied to $200, then just get the sim. Don't waste money on rtf stuff without a good tx. If you really want a heli, add some cash and get at least B400 just because it comes with the DX6i.

I recommend the TREX450 clone build on mikeysrc.com. With the components and DX6I it's around the cost of the B400 but a bit bigger and more stable, plus totally compatible with the TREX 450 SE V2 so easy to get parts for. You might want to opt for digital servos but the analog ones will do just fine for a while...

Or just take your wife out, that's not bad advice!!!!
myrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I bought a RTF originally but was not satisfied with the radio. I sent it back and spent the money on a Futaba 7c.. If I was doing it again I would have researched more. The spektrum radios are popular here and somebody offers a RTF with spektrum,
maybe a HF with better memory can help us out

I have a DX7 that came with a trex I bought later and I still use my DX6i for now.
I just like it better. I figure if something happens to it, I'll transition to the 7.

For the price it is a hard package to beat. The servos are weak but I went to the $15 hitecs early on they have been better.
I would upgrade them now that I'm past beginner crashes but I have the trex with good stuff.
Now the blade is my care free flyer or beater. I can get parts locally from several places so I have little fear of crashing it.
miamiheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you only have 200.00 buy a new HBFP v2 (99.00) and 100.00 worth of batteries and spare parts
Old 03-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I found the Blade 400 great for a while but I too spent too much on upgrades.Ive seen used Blade 400 for about $100 and used T450 v2 from $150 (both without radios)

I not flown anything from Esky but have also heard the Honey Bee FP can be quite crash resistant but the Honey Bee CP is a handful for the beginner

There is always a choic e of clones
Old 03-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbo95 View Post
Since I have some good experience wit Walkera there 4G6 looks like a nice bird. Small and able to fly outside is a plus for me. Plus I have 4 extra batteries from my CB100.

What do you think?
I'd say that's a bad idea as small CP helis are the hardest of all to learn to hover, and if your only experience is with the Walkera CB range, you will still have to learn to hover with any heli that has a regular 90 degree flybar, and of course learning to hover is just the start.

IMO as far as CP helis go the Blade 400 is the best out of the RTF helis mostly because it comes with the DX6i, but plan on upgrading most of the electronics before long and you'll need a parts budget on a regular basis unless you take it extremely slowly.

I would consider buying an FP with a 90 degree flybar such as the tried and tested Honey Bee FP. By the time you've learned to fly it proficiently it should have paid for itself many times over

Dusty
Blade 400, mSR, mCPX - Sonix SX450SE - Walkera 1#A, 4#3, 4#3A, 4#3B, 4G3
Dusty1000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in