Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 12:37 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I know.. and I agree!

You'd think I work for Outrage! I should get PAID by them! But I don't... I am just so impressed. I should also be paid from Hobbycity since I am always toting their goods as well!... lipos.. chargers... geeze...

But it's all good. I am spreading the good news!... through the Heli Bibles too! Amen brother krefi!

Sadly.. I am only on the buying end.. and getting poorer every day from it.. dang heli addiction... like most of us who are reading this thread.

My wife and kids are SO sick of helis... they just do NOT see the light!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 12:56 AM   #22 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I'd vote for the Atom (of course). I've had a few T-Rex 500 pilots comment on how well the Atom flies compared to their helis.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 12:58 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have owned the Trex 500 and now own a Compass Atom. IMHO, to ME, the Atom flies WAY better, no question. I find it more visible in the air as well and just think it looks cool. It is also a very rugged, tough little heli as well.

Never owned/flown a Protos or Outrage 550 so can't comment on those....

www.3dheli.co.nz
JAGNZ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 07:32 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Whats the deal on the Atom with the Dampener wear?
glowster21 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 07:34 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGNZ View Post

Never owned/flown a Protos or Outrage 550 so can't comment on those....
Well i have ownded/flown all of them (Trex500,Outrage 550,Protos) except the Atom and i can tell you that the Trex 500 sucks, dont buy it, erase it from your list now.

Its hard to compare the Outrage 550 and Protos since they are two different class of heli's but both fly incredible. Thier light, very powerful, and parts are really cheap.

You can't go wrong with either.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafs View Post
Well i have ownded/flown all of them (Trex500,Outrage 550,Protos) except the Atom and i can tell you that the Trex 500 sucks, dont buy it, erase it from your list now.

Its hard to compare the Outrage 550 and Protos since they are two different class of heli's but both fly incredible. Thier light, very powerful, and parts are really cheap.

You can't go wrong with either.

Thanks. The Trex is off the list and I'm down to the Atom and the Protos. Leaning towards the Atom now as I may have found a parts distributor fo my LHS, thanks to the guys on here!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:40 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know the Mikado Logo 500 wasn't on your list but man it is one heck of a heli. So much power very easy on the 6s's and virtually nothing to break when you crash. It's also built like a tank meaning not easy to break and still very light. Parts are very eaasy to get via readyheli who has probably the best shipping out of all the other companies. I back this heli 100% and I have the vbar which is very cool. I am a new pilot and it actually makes it so easy to fly that at times I feel like I can do more than what I know. Do a little research before you make up your mind. I am sure all the others you mentioned are nice but I would have to go with the logo again if given a chance. Good luck and hope I didn't throw a monkey wrench in your decision.

Ron
Old 03-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rcheli didnt like the atom compass a few months ago
Sake is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 11:41 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The Hurricane 550 has been very good for me. Very reliable, parts are readily available on line and fairly inexpensive to rebuild after a crash. With long or short tail boom, full CNC and stock or carbon there is lots of room for modifications. It's not a Ferrari but it is a good daily driver.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #30 (permalink)
Formerly BarnStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sake View Post
Rcheli didnt like the atom compass a few months ago
If you check the review you will see that they gave the Atom 4 out of 5 stars. Also by the reviewers comments it seems that he really does not like 500 class helis with comments like " A helicopter of this size feels a little more stable than a 450 but not quite at the level of a 50-sized helicopter.) and (Auto rotating a 500-sized helicopter has always been tricky, and this one is no exception." Also after looking at the haphazard way the electronics wires are routed in the pictures I doubt they took the time to properly size all the links as well ( which it clearly states in the manual that you MUST do! the kit even comes with a Compass ball sizer. ) which would result in tail wag and/or trims shifting (the only problems he had with the heli). The only other bad thing he said is "the stock power system is good but not great" but I think the motor IS great, the ESC is OK (I wanted data logging so I got a CC ICE 75) and you can always get a 10t pinion if you want the super high HS. I think it has great power with the 9t tho.

My Atom is SUPER fast and does not get twichy at all in FFF. It hovers verry stable but flips and rolls on a dime. It's built like a tank, has great visability in the air, and with the low profile skids and no boom support it's the best looking 500 on the market today IMHO. I am not saying the Protos is no good, in fact I almost bought one, just trying to make some things clear.

I once heard it said that " the Atom is a strange mixture of stability and quickness" which is soo true.

I hope this helps.
Jason

Last edited by Jason O'Connell; 03-25-2010 at 02:19 PM..
Jason O'Connell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 02:05 PM   #31 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnStormer View Post
Also after looking at the haphazard way the electronics wires are routed in the pictures I doubt they took the time to properly size all the links as well ( which it clearly states in the manual that you MUST do! the kit even comes with a Compass ball sizer. ) which would result in tail wag and/or trims shifting (the only problems he had with the heli).
I've flown the Atom when the links were a little too tight and it was a completely different heli (for the worse). So, I would agree with this assessment.

Quote:
The only other bad thing he said is "the stock power system is good but not great" but I think the motor IS great, the ESC is OK (I wanted data logging so I got a CC ICE 75) and you can always get a 10t pinion if you want the super high HS.
I run mine on 9T and use a CC ICE 100 and have no complaints whatsoever about the power system. I will agree that the stock ESC (Hobby Wing Platinum) seems to have a considerably higher failure rate than the ICE.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #32 (permalink)
Formerly BarnStormer

Here is Brian Tran flying the Atom 500 on 9t with stock motor and Esc.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-0RpOdM1VY&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
Old 03-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Having to make the choice between the Protos and the Atom, I'd have to give the edge to the Protos. For me, there is no LHS for either heli, so that doesn't factor. Both fly awesome, but they are different animals. The Atom has a "locked-in" powerful feeling to it, while the Protos has an extremely light, agile and explosive feeling to it.

Both helis get going VERY fast...but I find my Protos to be a bit quicker out of the gate. The Protos is significantly lighter than the Atom though.

For what it's worth, I fly the Atom on a Scorpion with a 10T and the Protos on the stock motor with a 15T...both with 40C 3000mah 6S packs.

If I only could have one, it would be the Protos. Mainly due to it's unique design (single belt), it's awesome sound (no gear noise) and cheap part costs (frame replacement is ~$16). However, keep in mind the Atom is cheaper to repair than a Trex 500.

I don't think you would be disappointed with either of them.
DrunkRabbit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 03:37 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowster21 View Post
Whats the deal on the Atom with the Dampener wear?
You tell me, I have had no issues with mine...

www.3dheli.co.nz
JAGNZ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you want high quality try Hirobo LeptonEX. Heliproz is selling them in the 330.00 dollar range.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have flown and crashed both align 500 and atom 500. Atom wins hands down in performance and in low cost crashs. Its deceptively durable.
The craziest part about it, it seems more snappy AND more stable than the trex not sure how you can be both at once but it is.
I wish I could comment on the protos, but haven't had a chance to fly one. Seen em fly they are a little rocket ship.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all the input everyone, I picked up my Atom 500 today :-)
Old 03-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice! Hey.. is that a 425mm or 500mm blade heli?
Old 03-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

On my new phoenix sim with XP8103 I've tried all the E-heli's. Seems to me the 500's fly WAY easier than 400's. But the 500 was not that much different than the 600. Is this the way you guys see it? I fly a Blade400. (i'm a fart flyer at heart). But after handling the atom, protos, logo.....I may switch! One more question: Do these simulator heli's fly like that in real life?
lannny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
Nice! Hey.. is that a 425mm or 500mm blade heli?
425 to 430mm. Comes with a nice set of Carbon Fiber 430's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in