Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
HF Support

Default Minicopter Joker 3 Build videos

Just can't get my fill of the big '90' electrics at present - sold my Henseleit MPXL-E and missed it ever since so thought I'd get something a bit more staid than the stellar, slippy TDR. Minicopter have been around a long time and are a well respected, though little publicised, high-end German manufacturer - known for robust and high quality construction they have found a niche in commercial UAV and AP work.

The Joker series has been around since 2000 and is now on it's 3rd major incarnation as the Joker3 v2 - it comes in a variety of guises and what caught my eye was the Joker3DD where the tail rotor is belt driven by a separate motor mounted on the rear of the frames - interesting - anyway I opted for the more conventional Joker 3 TT version.

Fans of German high end helis are aware that they are mostly made to order and in the case of the Henseleit TDR has over a year's wait - I'm pleased to say that my superbly packaged Joker3 landed on my doorstep just 3 months after I placed the order - thank you Gerd

OK here we go - those of you who have watched my TDR vids will notice quite a few component similarities and I guess there is a common source for some of them - without exception they're all of exemplary quality and go together without the usual and

Joker3 - Vid 1 - What's in the box - wmv 85MB

Joker3 - Vid 2 - Lower frames - wmv 56MB

Joker3 - Vid 3 - Shaft Assembly and Motor Mount - wmv 115MB

Joker3 - Vid 4 - Assembly of Upper Frames - wmv - 128MB

Joker3 - Vid 5 - Frame Union, Pyro Teardown and Servo Install - wmv 141MB

Joker3 - Vid 6 - Rotor Head Assembly - wmv 83MB

Joker3 - Vid 7 - Tail Boom & TT Assembly - wmv - 113MB

Joker3 - Vid 8 - Tail Gearbox - wmv 76MB

Joker3 - Vid 9 - Tail Rotor - wmv - 106MB

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Joker3_3.jpg
Views:	8121
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	150315  

Last edited by Jason Cole; 01-23-2020 at 09:41 AM..
Mercuriell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Lower frames

Next up lower frames and skids - has the best skid fixing clamps I've yet enountered and lovely springy anodised black allow struts - otherwise pretty straightforward stuff

Joker3 - Video2 - Lower frames - wmv 56MB

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	joker3lowerframe.jpg
Views:	7119
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	150328  

Old 04-10-2010, 01:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

Video 3 up - that's assembly of the motor mount and main shafts with a sneak preview of the upper frames - all good gear of course and no major gotchas or surprises - I'm gonna use the Pyro 30-12. on 12S with a Kontronik ESC - wide range of pulleys available to suit 400-550kV motors. BTW Thanks to Gerd Guzicki for letting me use some of the manual illustrations - the new manual that covers all the Joker range must be the ultimate with lline drawings, exploded and assembled parts pics !

Joker3 Build Video 3 - Shaft Assembly and Motor Mount - wmv 115MB

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Joker3shafts [800x600].jpg
Views:	7449
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	150349  

Old 04-10-2010, 03:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well done John,Nice to see a new vid added.
There as been a dry patch lately and i watch all the vids you and Bob do.Even the ones that i only dream of getting.Keep up the good work.
Double Barrel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2010, 07:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

Thanks for the nice comments - Bob and I both feel we can't do a build without sharing the excitement of a new project and it's nice to get feedback !

Gerd Guzicki (Mr Minicopter) has kindly watched the vids and makes the following comments:

Quote:
Some adds to your nice film:

- The dummy box is necessary because german postal has refused to transport "Tetris bricks", only straight rectangular packages.
- these are the new ball joints from Mikado, they have sold us all the old ones for the short links because we have a milling tool for them. The not shortened are so the new design.
- perhaps the bevel wheel on the tailshaft look similar to Hensleeit, but it is made different. It has no friction contact, is made with a left thread that it closes under load and is pinned that it cannot fail. The basic wheels for bevels gears are the same like Vario, Hensleeit, SSN etc, there are only these available in Germany.
-Oh, we use no molded plastic, all black and white plastic is turned and/or milled delrin.

Gerd
Old 04-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Very nicely done. You don't hear of Minicopter very often. Glad to see your giving it ago. Looking forward to the rest of the build.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

i like gerds last comment on there about all plastic parts being milled delrin. very nice touch

also, is that your wife's bread knife you are using to open those boxes? (use caution)

and i would like to be the first of many i am sure to request a rat sighting with this build
Old 04-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

When will the remaining steps of this video be completed? I'm truly interested in this bird...
Old 04-11-2010, 08:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Another German helicopter

John,
if you have time, try to check the Alien 500/600 manual at www.heli-pro.de and let us know what you think about it !!!
I hope Heli Professional will send you one to test it for us !!!!!!

thanks
mirco
gelatmi1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuriell View Post
Next up lower frames and skids - has the best skid fixing clamps I've yet enountered and lovely springy anodised black allow struts - otherwise pretty straightforward stuff
Have the struts for the landing gear equal height?
Looks like the frame is highest in the front?
I would think it is supposed to be higher in the back so that the tail is clear of the ground...
Old 04-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn View Post
I would think it is supposed to be higher in the back so that the tail is clear of the ground...
The struts and their spacers are all the same size so that is how it comes out - I'm sure it will be fine but if you wanted to adjust ground attitude you could do so easily by putting some M3 washers under the rear spacers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma Golem View Post
When will the remaining steps of this video be completed? I'm truly interested in this bird...
I reckon I'll have it done in a couple of weeks - sadly have to work also to pay for the helis !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigBopper View Post
also, is that your wife's bread knife you are using to open those boxes? (use caution) and i would like to be the first of many i am sure to request a rat sighting with this build
Yes the kitchen is a great build site - all sorts of useful implements - sadly Norah is no longer with us and has gone to that great cat-free field in the sky - gonna be hard to find another rodent with the same critical eye for the build !
Old 04-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

John, you always have the exotic builds in your videos. This is better than watching some boring TV Show.
Thank you for doing this build.
riccardoc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the update, as I'm looking forward to the finished product and test flights.

Quote:
sadly have to work also to pay for the helis
That is a shame. I thought they was sending you and FB helis to advertise them to us.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma Golem View Post
That is a shame. I thought they was sending you and FB helis to advertise them to us.
That would be nice - only heli I ever got gratis was the Compass 6HV and even then had to fork out for lipos, radio etc - 'free stuff''sounds good but once you work out the hours and cost involved it can become a liability rather than as asset - you should also appreciate that integrity is far more important to FB and myself than a few freebies so you can be sure we shoot from the hip in the build series and if anything needs saying we'll say it !
Old 04-12-2010, 05:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn View Post
My mistake Bjorn and well spotted - I checked the manual; and it gave the same parts number so I assumed the struts were the same - but looking at the actual component you are absolutely right - one is higher than the other and I have them back to front - thank you !

There's not a lot of vids on the Joker3 flyijng - here is one of David Penger with a nice soundtrack flying soft 3D

Last edited by Laurens; 04-13-2010 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: Link fixed
Old 04-12-2010, 07:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
HF Support

Default Upper frames

Putting together the upper frames and installing motor mount, belt drive and main shaft covered here - the frame complex is a bit fiddly with a lot of different parts - the pulley comes with an ID of 8mm for Actro motors and a brass collet to reduce ID down to 6mm for Pyro and Scorpion motors

Joker 3 Video 4 - Assembly of Upper Frames - wmv - 128MB

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Joker3upperframes.jpg
Views:	2535
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	150773  

Last edited by Mercuriell; 04-12-2010 at 04:32 PM..
Old 04-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice build thread... uh, so many memories about the build.
I will be interested on a what type of servos you go for and the selected headspeed for the bird. My bird, with batteries and all was 12 pounds. Since this is my only big bird, I don't know if it's heavy for a heli this size. It certainly doesn't feel heavy in the air. It actually flew beautifully. It's a VERY solid machine. There are two components I have gone the cheap side, batteries and servos. I'm using Align and 2 Zippy 6s in series. The servos responded really well but I'm not a 3d pilot... pushed it as much as I could and fine, no issues at all.

The headspeed is still a mistery to me since I kept getting a faster headspeed than set up to be. My Joker3 is currently down. Waiting for a part from Gerd. I hope it comes back soon and work on that headspeed mistery again.... nothing wrong with it but just much faster than what I set it up to be so I just want to know why.

Joker 3 flybarless
TTube tail system
Mavrikk G5 690mm main blades
Minicopter 105mm tailrotor blades
2 6s in parallel 5,000 mAh
Kontronic Power Jazz 63V (about 200 grams of muscle)
15 teeth pinion
Perfect regulator CCPM 4.8 - 8.5
2s lipo 1,800 mAh
X-era 4035/2.5y
Mikado Vbar
DS610 on cyclic
Futaba BLS251 on tail

By the way, what's the difference between the Joker 3 and Joker 3v2???
Old 04-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

All I can see is Norah's flee's at 9.40 in the second vid... I'm following this build thread too John.

The Joker 3 has to be named after Norah.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin703 View Post
I will be interested on a what type of servos you go for and the selected headspeed for the bird.

The headspeed is still a mistery to me since I kept getting a faster headspeed than set up to be.
I'll be using Futaba BLS 351 left over from my Henseleit MPXL-E - the ALigns servos are very good - just a tad steppy and take a little more current than the FUtabas but great bang for buck.

Often motor kV is significantly higher than stated and can easily have a 10% variation on quoted. WHat size pinion pulley are you using - I have a 13t which predicts 1700 HS and a 14t on order which comes out at 1800 - for a 90 electric 17-1800 allows you to do most anything but for high speed FFF up to 1900 is good - above that you're wasting power.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looking great, fascinating build as always!

It will be very interesting to get your thoughts on this heli vs the Henseleit, I'm not sure many people get to test the 2! I guess these two are competitors, share some similarities and also are similarly priced.

Looking forward to the next vids!
HeliBenj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in