Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > SR

SR Blade Helicopters (eFlite) SR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 04:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

ah - you may want to look in SR Bible

been there for a while
L-188 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

all i can say (which isn't much being a newbie) is that I wish I would have seen this thread BEFORE I tried to hover my brand new SR today

Was hovering well, about 4' up for about 4-5 minutes when my swash came apart.....she hit HARD......bent the tail boom and destroyed the wood blades

Just ordered new blades and tail boom from Horizon along with the training gear. Was hoping to find some cheapie all plastic blades, but no dice.

Getting ready to clean and glue this swash right now!!
Blade SR RTF
wminmi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 05:24 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

just glued AND soldered mine.....doubt she'll be coming apart again any time soon
Blade SR RTF
wminmi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you guys still doing this to new swash plates? Last one I got was flaired pretty good from the factory and was a real pain to get apart and even more of a pain to get it back together when glueing. I actullay had to trim the flair in order to glue it back together. My guess is that this was modified after the first batch failed.

So to make it short.Are you still taking aprt the swashs that are hevily flared from the factory?
Micfasto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 10:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micfasto View Post
Are you guys still doing this to new swash plates? Last one I got was flaired pretty good from the factory and was a real pain to get apart and even more of a pain to get it back together when glueing. I actullay had to trim the flair in order to glue it back together. My guess is that this was modified after the first batch failed.

So to make it short.Are you still taking aprt the swashs that are hevily flared from the factory?

I wouldn't do it to one of the nice flared ones. I have a brand new one that is flared like that but I am holding on to it until I need it because melting and flaring my stock one with the soldering iron worked out great and is holding up fine!!

but I wouldn't mess with the flared ones because they are done right
soon to be 450v2 fbl
mikeonthebike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile Swash

I did the soldering iron trick on swashplate and I have no further problems now!!!!!
helidog12 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Owned my SR for 2 months, have had TWO swash seperations (NOTE I am a rookie, NO 3d or even hard flying on this bird), one resulted in a Major crash with over $50 in damages, 2nd one I got her down without fault (not a full sep but damn close).

I doubled up and done the CA and am about to heat crimp as well. If your careful it's not hard to do, TY for the post!

I can already tell the head will fly to pieces before this swash comes apart again. Thanks!
ZenoSX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default SR Swashplates and tail motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiepilot83 View Post
Hey HeliFreaks,

there has been several requests on how to glue the stock SR swash plate so I thought I would share how I have been doing it. So far I have about 20 flights (about 80 by the time I sold my SR) on my glued swash with no separation so here's how its done.

1) You need to separate the two halves of the swash as shown in pics 1-4, this can be done with a pair of ball link/needle nose pliers or any pliers that will fit between the two halves as shown in pics # 1 & 2. (ball link pliers are used in pics) Once separated it should look like pic # 4.
2) Now clean off any oil on the inner bearing (pic # 5) and the round part of the upper half of the swash (pic # 6) that fits inside the bottom half. Refer to pics # 5-8.
3) Now VERY CAREFULLY apply a thin even layer of CA glue (I used super) on the outside of the round middle part of the upper half of the swash. Refer to pic # 9 And then immediately move to step # 4.
4) Snap both halves back together (making sure not to get any glue in the bearing) and let dry.
5) FINAL STEP, Donate to the buy Rookiepilot83 a T-Rex 500ESP fund, Come on, its a worthy cause, LOL! For real though, after step # 4 your done!

Well I hope this helps even one person avoid crashing from a separated swash, good luck everyone and Happy Hovering.
Great instructions, I came to a similar conclusion, just did the glue (Gorilla Glue) a little differently. I used a toothpick to put a very thin layer of glue on the inside of the bearing. My logic was, if the glue happened to spill over, it would be on the side that I could see and clean up, rather than between the upper and lower swashes.

I also tried the heat crimping, first, that worked for a couple flights, but, didn't hold. I used a hot screw driver as I didn't have a soldering iron at the time. Probably would have worked better with the iron. Horizon sent me a new swashplate and another part that broke because of the seperation issue. Maybe a re-glue and heat crimp before installation would be a good idea?

I'm new to this forum, and am very impressed with the great info and the membership.
Gadget1500 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My swash separated I had JUST taken off and was hovering about 2 feet when SLAM!!! Full forward, then back from me trying to correct, then it dropped the blades full left and started it's seizure-like flop on the ground. The heli wouldn't respond to the TX for a second (felt like forever) before it shut down....

I tried the glue trick but now it won't take off. It looks like I didn't get the swash smashed together enough. I'm sad... Going to the hobby shop tomorrow for blades / swash / main shaft / feathering shaft.

I'm a noob and this is my first CP heli. I haven't crashed it since I got it (15 flights.) Then this happend... I guess I was making too much progress without a crash.
jchandler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Think I'll glue mine before the next flight, and when that breaks (if ever) then cnc swash it is. Thanks!
Ranoldoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

i bad this happen to me today. She only feel about two ft . thanx 4 the tip . I just got done gluein it together.
helicoptermadness311 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

i my self use a xatco knife and heat it then use that to melt the end inside bearing .. it rolls over nice and less chance of glueing issues
xpftp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 12:39 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just had probably the worst dive ever with this demon SR. I had to buy another swash i look at it and it seems to have a bit of a flare but if I press on it the center will lift a bit not complety but it like it's hanging on by that thin piece of flare. Is that the way the new ones should look like and behave or should I just pry the thing apart and glue it? I had much success with glueing the first one (the first one seperated just about right out of the box)I I'm really getting about to the end with this SR and I've bought just about every part my LHS Had, if anybody can answer this it would be great!
Old 04-01-2011, 07:26 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBSKI View Post
I just had probably the worst dive ever with this demon SR. I had to buy another swash i look at it and it seems to have a bit of a flare but if I press on it the center will lift a bit not complety but it like it's hanging on by that thin piece of flare. Is that the way the new ones should look like and behave or should I just pry the thing apart and glue it? I had much success with glueing the first one (the first one seperated just about right out of the box)I I'm really getting about to the end with this SR and I've bought just about every part my LHS Had, if anybody can answer this it would be great!

Glue it or get an CNC one. I purchased the CNC one and I've had great luck with it.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My swash separated during its 14th flight. I let a blade tip touch the carpet ( no harm done) while doing my first nose in hover attempt and next thing you know it wouldn't lift 4 inches off the ground going full blast.

I guess I'll need to glue it for now.

Great Heli other wise I love it. I like the way it free wheels when you kill the power like a real Helicopter.
Bladecpnitro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

I glued mine in and went ahead and bent the plastic down underneath with a soldering iron for extra measure. I Just flew 2 packs and its working smooth as a mosquito and not nearly as pesky.
Bladecpnitro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just got my sr on Friday. Did any of you call Horizon about the defect with them separating? Seems they should be sending out repair parts if you call.
JohnnyV52 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

They will ship you parts if you explain your situation. They sent me a few things when mine separated.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've had it with Horizon Hobby products, anything bigger than a 120 seems to be riddled with faults or just outright badly designed. I've been working my way through the range from the MCX2 up, today I tried my SR for the first time. I slowly ran up the motor to half way stick and then very very VERY! slowly increased the stick up, it slowly lifted off. As it took off I had to put some left and rear stick in to correct it as it obviously wasn't trimmed in yet, it got about 2 foot off the ground when it suddenly started wobbling all over the place with no input from me. I panic'd a little and throttled off, it wasn't a hard hit and nothing was broken. Upon inspection, yes! the swash plate had seperated. Is this this the fastest seperation ever? it can't have lasted more than 30 seconds from new. I'm supprised they haven't been sued, quite clearly some of the parts fitted on their models are not fit for the purpose they were sold. Things shouldn't just fall apart, should they?
Mick Emmett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No, things shouldn't just fall apart lol! Bear in mind, all the helis from the 120sr and down are all fixed pitch and coax fixed pitch helis that are essentially self stabilizing. The transition from a fixed pitch to a collective pitch is a big leap, no matter how smooth they try and make it. All the trimming in the world isn't going to get you an "input free" hover with any CP helicopter, so be prepared to make constant inputs to keep it in a small space. It's totally possible the swash separated causing your issues, but if it came completely apart, you wouldn't have been the one putting the heli down and you wouldn't have the choice on how hard it hit Still, if it came partially apart, you may have SOME control, but it would be difficult for someone with experience, much less someone flying CP for the first time, to get it down without incident. Either way, get that swash fixed up or replaced and give it another go!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in