Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 06:23 AM   #181 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello Bob,
I have just about to get my Aurora 9 by courier. However, i have been following many forums to know more about the radio. Nowhere i see a Aurora 9 flying a Heli. Why dont you setup the test flight in a Heli ?? it will be great for Heli Freaks.
lunarhemal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #182 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry Bob,
I am new on this forum and totally forgot that this is specifically for heli guys. I am sure all videos and informa tions are based in Helicopters.

Hemal
lunarhemal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #183 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you know how to setup a heli properly and know what to look for, like swash movement, pitch ranges and tail direction, using the radio is a complete no-nonsense affair. Only thing I had to wrap my head around was the "c" and "s" selections, but once you understand how it works connecting the condition its really brilliant.

As heli guys we actually use very few flight conditions, but plankers would go crazy for this radios 32 or so separate possible flight conditions.

Found out something today that was obvious but cool nonetheless. Renaming the flight condition! Instead of reading Idle up 2 on the display, You can change it to something more appropriate, like HDSPD 2950. Pretty cool.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #184 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Yes setting up the servo reversing and swash menu to get the servos moving properly is exactly like JR or Futaba radios. For now any videos I have showing this proceedure should help you.

Now regarding the conditions. This is very much like the Futaba 12 or 14MZ. You have a C (combined mode) and a S (Separate mode). By default Throttle and Pitch curves are all combined! This will screw up people that don't realize this. e.g. you may setup your normal mode throttle curve and then go into the idle up curve and notice it is the same as your normal curve. You may then change the idle up throttle curve and Oooops... it changed your normal mode to the same as your idle up
Thus ALWAYS for a heli when you go into a curve change the C to an S so it is now separate.

In addition in the condition list you can also change priority of which condition overrides others. The lower on the list the high the priority. This is why you want HOLD last on the list so it overrides any other conditions. As a tip have them in the list like this
Normal
Idle1
idle2
hold

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #185 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello All,

I'm considering this radio for it's telemetry and easy programming. My question is, has anyone figured out if the radio will allow you to activate some sort of "swash expo" as I use this on my current DX7?

Cheers

Cullen
Cullen Colapietro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 01:49 AM   #186 (permalink)
Registered Users

expo can be turned on to round out the points in your pitch or throttle curves
Old 07-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #187 (permalink)
Registered Users

"expo can be turned on to round out the points in your pitch or throttle curves"

Not the same. Swash Expo is something entirely different. Cullen is looking for something similar to what JR or Futaba uses to counteract or eliminate CCPM interactions caused when converting the rotary motion of the servo to the linear motion of the pushrod.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #188 (permalink)
Registered Users

I get it...

So I am loving the voltage alarm using the SPC cable. I always hated flying with a timer because it never really took into account the headspeed for the flight, type of flying I was doing that session, or how the variety of packs I use hold up. Now if I use a 6s 2650 or 3000 pack, I can just fly and have the radio beep when battery is getting low.

So question is, what would you guys suggest a good setting to set the low voltage alarm on 6s? I understand the voltage raises after landing and I always fly in idle up. I was thinking on setting on the low side so when I hear it, I know to just land. Instead of hearing it while doing a bunch of tic tocs and having the alarm turn off when back to hover.

Recommendations?
Old 07-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #189 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm wondering about this too.
I guess you could set the voltage alarm for 3.2 or 3.3 volts per cell.
Then if the alarm goes off at all in idle up at say a fast headspeed, you would
then go into normal mode or a lower headspeed. Then the voltage would go back up to a
safe level and you can either land or auto in. Would this be correct?
I'm no expert and don't have this radio yet but that is my educated guess.
maarset is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #190 (permalink)
Registered Users

3.2 seems low though, I want to keep my pack nice maybe 3.7?
Old 07-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #191 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

3.7 would be a resting voltage. But in use a cell would drop to a lower voltage. Maybe experiment with different voltage levels for the alarm to get a 3.7 resting voltage.
maarset is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #192 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset View Post
I'm wondering about this too.
I guess you could set the voltage alarm for 3.2 or 3.3 volts per cell.
+1

Those battery monitors you can buy and solder on to the battery connector of your ESC has an alarm that goes off at 3v per cell.
I have been using a few of those and If I land right away after the alarm goes off I have a resting voltage of about 3.7v-3.8v

RC Heli Lounge on Discord : https://discord.gg/92HmhxWK
Tjomp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #193 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonseize View Post
Hello All,

I'm considering this radio for it's telemetry and easy programming. My question is, has anyone figured out if the radio will allow you to activate some sort of "swash expo" as I use this on my current DX7?

Cheers

Cullen

I'm not sure if this is the exact same thing but you can do a swash calibration to fix any of the servo movement geometry problems that cause the swash to physically add control interactions. Just go to the Swash Mix and then the Calibrations menu. Now, this part can be a bit confusing at first but it's not so bad once you play around with it. Basically, it lists the control functions you want to adjust in relation to the other two controls.

For example, click Aileron to adjust the aileron output in relation to the elevator and pitch inputs. These are seven point curves so get out your swash leveler and go through the pitch range to level out the aileron. Just remember that it doesn't adjust one servo at a time but rather all servos involved with the aileron output on the heli.

I haven't upgraded to 1.07 yet but there was a bug in 1.05 where the elevator adjustment in relation to pitch doesn't have any effect. The easy workaround is to go to pmix 6,7 or 8 to do a pitch -> elevator 7pt curve.
Stoats is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #194 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys, thank you so much for the responses. I don't own the radio, I was just curious. However, I'm concerned w/ noticing the latency on this radio and that is what is holding me back now. I don't want to go from a DX7 to the Aurora 9 and then feel as if it was a downgrade.
Cullen Colapietro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #195 (permalink)
Registered Users

Latency should not be a concern, however getting used to a full range collective stick might. The Aurora does not have stick stops. If you are coming from a DX7 or 9303 heli edition, that might throw you off.

I came from a dx6i and it was a natural fit.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #196 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Looking inside the radio at the gimbals, there are screw holes and a mounting area for stick stops. So you could add them. Only problem is you must recalibrate the sticks and this can only be done in the hidden diagnostic menus. Maybe later Hitec will come out with add-on stick stops like the SD-10G did.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #197 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Latency should not be a concern,
Could you elaborate on this? I've spoken w/ pilots who've flown both the DX7 and the A9 and they said that latency was noticeable.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #198 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonseize View Post
Could you elaborate on this? I've spoken w/ pilots who've flown both the DX7 and the A9 and they said that latency was noticeable.
I won't pretend that the latency is a complete non-issue but for the 90% of us that are sportsmen-intermediate levels it won't hinder anyone. I can't feel the extra latency but my only other transmitter is a 9CHP (the king of slow) and my helis aren't rigged with super fast servos. It would be nice if someone could setup a heli and a generic transmitter rig that provides the gimbal inputs to hidden transmitters to do an unbiased blind experiment.

I think you just need to find someone who will let you borrow a receiver and test out an Aurora to see whether the perceived latency is a deal breaker for you. It would only take 20 minutes and a flight or two to get the heli setup and trimmed out well.

The radio was never meant to be top of the line for everyone and everything, just a quality radio with a near bulletproof radio link at a good price. I realize the SD10G coming in with faster speeds and a similar price kind of hurts Hitec's case but then again the A9's battery telemetry has saved a couple of my expensive glider's from premature deaths. A few years down the road I'll look for a used low latency, fast framerate radio for just helis but for now I'll keep flying all my helis, gliders, 3d planes, autogyros and flying wings with my Aurora.
Stoats is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #199 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice Bob about the stick stops.

The latency is my opinion, read my previous post about my first flights. I am not sure what your skill level is, but I am now really starting to bang on some 3d sticks with my angry Protos. Not a concern for me at all.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #200 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just re-read the article about this radio in rcheli magazine and they did such a blind test. 2 600N's w/ the same equipment and a pro pilot was handed the A9. He liked the Tx but said it felt a bit slow in some of the stick-banging maneuvers. He didn't know about the latency issues before flying the radio.

I'm not saying I could tell the difference, I'm no pro pilot, but I'd hate knowing that I'd traded my DX7 in for a downgrade in this area. Obviously it's a great radio from a programming aspect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in