Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #161 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrinkevich View Post
how about every one else?
I didn't update.
I'm a bit disappointed I have to buy a 30$ device to update my radio, but I guess I'll fork out when I find a shop nearby that actually sells it...
Medi8or is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #162 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrinkevich View Post
Did every one do there up date and if so how did it go i updated mine and didn't have any problems things went good for me how about every one else?
No problem with my update either. Went very smooth.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:23 AM   #163 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Where

Where is every one?
tomrinkevich is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #164 (permalink)
Registered Users

Waiting patiently I suppose and having fun learning our new radio. This is the only radio that man actually is fun to play with. Coming from a dx6i I am so happy. I have yet to maiden any helis yet, though the programming is very easy I would like to hear Bob comment on video in case I missed something.

One warning.

I remapped the channels because I heard having all 3 cyclic servos next to each other was benificial. While going thru my swash setup, I remembered that in the Swash type selection screen there was an arrow pointing to front. My servos were opposite from picture with elevator up front. I thought I could tap on this to change it but could not.

Exiting out, all of a sudden my heli starts to spool up, throttle hold was activated. I quickly unplugged and I had no blades in so it was cool, but being a new system I was worried about what had just happened. Turns out that when you reselect the swash type, the channel mapping reverts to it's default. Might be obvious but something to watch for.

Wound up reversing pitch servo and reversing the swah percentage on elevator to get the Protos swag moving correctly. Hope that's the right way. We will soon know.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #165 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Yep... based on playing with it I found you set the swash type first and then change the channel assignments. Also just because the display shows elevator servo in front it really doesn't matter as long as you have the elevator servo in the elevator channel you assigned! Then it just getting servo reversing and swash numbers +/- set right to get the swash moving right. This is no different than say a JR radio where it only shows elevator in the back.

I never really cared when radios allow a swash config showing where the elevator servo is. Reason is it assumes your using the same manufacturers servos! Some servo makers the servo can move opposite to other servo brands. For instance if you used AT servos the reversing of the channel maybe different than using hitech servos as an example. So in the end just make sure the servos are plugged in the proper channel and reverse them or the swash direction as needed.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #166 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkoz View Post
No problem with my update either. Went very smooth.
I updated mine yesterday. No problem at all. I updated the radio and module. Receivers will follow as they are now all installed in my machines and the access is not that easy.

Eduardo

PS : Next thing to test will be the sensors which according to the importer in my country shall be here in Brazil by august.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #167 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Aurora maiden!!!

Well folks, got back a little while ago from flying my first Aurora 9 flight. Coming from a dx6i I found this radio very nice to use. Compared some other radios at the field and this radio is heavy but nice and compact. Shirt antenna compared to others.

So I realize numbers are numbers but I felt completly locked in with the model. It felt great!! I am doing some pretty fast collective nanuvers on my insanly powerful Protos and it absolutly did not feel slow! Very happy.

Three issues remain.

First, I can't seem to get the stick tension correct and evenon the cyclc. Wasted a lot of time and don't know if there is a trick to this but I will keep tweeking them.

Buy a second battery, a lipo. I screwed up and plugged my charger into thectrainer port. After a couple hours of setup I battery could only support a couple test flights. I Xander forgetting to charge my radio the night before and possibly miss a good flying session. A second always charged batt should cure this.

Now for the problem. Very weird.
I set an endpoint on the rudder channel of 115 to get my piro rate. After liftoff the first thing I noticed was that the piro rate was very slow. After testing a few other things I landed and jacked them up all the way to 140 each side. No better. In fact it seemed slower. Very slow.

Confused I smoked a cig and stared at it. I them tried reinitializing and flew again. Same slow piro rate at maxed 140 endpoint.

So I landed and tried to go the opposite way. I set endpoints of only 90 each side. Strangly it worked!! It seemed to get faster the lower the number.

Any thoughts on why? Weird setting?
Old 07-22-2010, 12:42 AM   #168 (permalink)
Registered Users

Update.

After attempting to move the two rear large switches, don't like the momentary on the right, I noticed something related to the above piro issue.

Turns out that I had added endpoint percentage to the GYRO channel instead of the RUDDER channel. Reset back to 100 and I will retest the piro rate soon. Confident that all will be good.

Also if you thought about moving switches, just don't bother. After taking a good while to carefully get things apart, the switches apparently looked glued and u could not unscrew them. I find switch G will take some time to get used to.

Anyway. Way cool radio so far
Old 07-22-2010, 01:38 AM   #169 (permalink)
Registered Users

Actually, it's pretty simple to move. I switched switch H with F and all you have to do is to unscrew the cap, unsolder the wires and swap
speedys4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #170 (permalink)
Registered Users

well i assumed it would be easy, but they are glued. tried unscrwing cap but only scratched up radio
Old 07-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #171 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I have been in WINDOWS HELL this week...

As some of you noticed or maybe not, I have not been around much the last 3 days. Been freakin rebuilding my PC again due to a Windows update issue and freakin MS licensing. They wanted me to PAY for another version of Windows 7 because I have reinstalled over 10 times in the last 6 months... BS... Finally got through that but had to do a full reinstall again... Been a total pain.

My windows install got hosed because of me and my desire to HACK stuff and tweak to my liking. Something I did would not allow windows updates to work and MAN... tried everything including letting a Windows guy from MS get on my PC which I NEVER have had to do before. In the end a FULL install was required. The reason I had problems was because I had a Win7 upgrade CD not a retail and after scraping my disk of all versions of windows it would not work. Had to deal with MS for HOURS to convince them I was upgrading still... BS....

Its been HELL and once again I am super behind on videos because of it

Bob
Old 07-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #172 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mr. Finless I was wondering if you will ever build a heli with the aurora 9 radio and Optima 7 channel 2.4Ghz rx. I知 new to the r/c heli hobby and love it. I知 about to build my first heli using all the wonderful information you and your community have placed on this forum. I will love to see a video on the programming for a heli on the aurora 9 radio. I知 about done buying all the parts. Keep up all the good work you have done for the r/c heli community. I know lots of work goes into making all your instructional videos but it痴 all greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Jerseydog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #173 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I absolutely plan to do a build with this radio. Unfortunately it will be my next build and probably at this point after IRCHA so we are looking at mid August. Before then though I will do some vids on the menu system of the radio with details about the menus and what they do.

Sorry it's taking me longer than I wanted to get this info out but thats life.... It's especially hard when your OS/PC isn't working properly!

Bob
Old 07-23-2010, 10:11 PM   #174 (permalink)
Registered Users

I totally understand that things like this just take time. I知 just happy that you池e taking your time, just to make videos like these. At this time I知 short on funds. So by the time you池e done with the build I might just finished getting all my parts. In the mean time I値l keep watching all A9 videos. Keep up all the good work. Great site thanks.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:27 PM   #175 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

The font you are using makes my eyes hurt! PLEASE use the standard font everyone else is using... I am 51 and reading your tiny font makes me work

Bob
Old 07-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #176 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok no problem didn't notice about the font sorry about that. Thanks
Old 07-23-2010, 11:46 PM   #177 (permalink)
Registered Users

I feel your pain with the Windows 7 problem. I have five machines on my little network and all run XP.

Windows 7 is the first thing I remove.

XP is bulletproof for my needs.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:35 PM   #178 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
I have been in WINDOWS HELL this week...

As some of you noticed or maybe not, I have not been around much the last 3 days. Been freakin rebuilding my PC again due to a Windows update issue and freakin MS licensing. They wanted me to PAY for another version of Windows 7 because I have reinstalled over 10 times in the last 6 months... BS... Finally got through that but had to do a full reinstall again... Been a total pain.

Bob
Pass your way Bob... swap direct to Mac. I was tired of having the same type of issues a couple of years ago. No more for me.

Eduardo
Old 07-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #179 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, time for a mac running VmWare. Use OSX for everyday use and glorious video production, and VmWare running as many different versions of Windows as you need.

But back to the Aurora. Sorry for keep going on and on but today was my first real 9 batt flying session with the new system. Wow! The Aurora 9/Optima has its own feel.

I run two identical Protos with one a 760/YGE/Scorpion, other Quark/Previous MSH Stock power/

First off I think there are some interesting things regarding latency and what not that I would like to ad my opinion too.

There is no doubt in my fingers that the Aurora/Optima combo is the most SOLID connection I have ever felt with a model. Difficult to quantify, I just felt locked to the heli in the air as I have not felt before. All my inputs were transferring just so cleanly. Difficult to describe the feeling, but 9 packs later I am just so thrilled. Perhaps its a combination of many things coming from my DX6i, gimbals, software, optima receivers. Whatever it is, I had read in the forums this "solid locked in feel" users were experiencing before, but now I get it!

On the bench is one thing, but when you are actually out at the hot flying field sitting in your lawn chair, an average day, sweating, smoking, repairing, tweaking, and talking trash with your flying buddies, I cannot tell you how pleased I am with the usability of this radio. The big buttons, huge ass backlit screen, and how the menus are laid out, allow me to do things so quickly and effortlessly. Switching this and changing that is a breeze. Using the radio in just this short period of time it is now very familiar. This thing is so completely easy to use. Finless might not have much to talk about honestly, unlike something like a DX7.

Now for that Latency thing. I think it's there. Again, not sure I could put my finger on exactly what I was feeling, but for all the hoopla about the "latency" of the radio, yes I think I could feel not a "slower" response, but lets call it say a "different" response than other radios. If thats the one measurable thing that can be felt, and people call it latency, then yes I could feel that.

Now IMO if that "different" response is the trade off for the locked in feeling I was getting, then folks, I could not be happier. I wound up dropping my Expo on cyclic to 10, from 15 on my DX6i, and raising a tad my pitch to less that 14 on collective and just over 9 on cyclic.

So today I realized that all those people who are worried about latency on this radio simply should not be! It feels wonderful to use at the field and it has a unique oneness with the model.

And for those who are still concerned about having the fastest latency radio available, not sure what to tell ya. Too many of ya can't fly worth a snot yet anyway, or have so much expo you can't feel the speed regardless. How much expo do you need to fly your models it the real determinant factor right? I think there is a correlation somewhere there. One of my flying buddies uses 30 expo on his Protos and me 10. I just think different radios speak different languages to the model, and one should not worry about any latency issues on the Aurora 9

Thanks for time.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #180 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default bob u need a mac....

bob u need a mac for editing ..ones u touch one u never came back to editing on windows...
if u like to use your hand make a hackintosh....a mac runing on a pc...and also can put parales on it a have window also for that old software or your sims..

i do it a few years ago and never came back to windows....last u have use was xp ....

carpo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in