Blade 120 SR The mod list......post em' here!! - Page 3 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 120 SR

120 SR Blade (eFlite) 120 SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Is this the same motor that is is the Blade CX2, the 380?? if so i wonder how putting in those hopped up extremes. would work?

Yes it is the same motor...right or left i don't know,and it is a 180 motor.
The main motor runs cool,always between 96* to 103* tail motor runs about 96* to110*.
I think the main motor is just fine for this heli,unless you could use brushless it would be more eficient but the stock motor seems pretty good especialy on 1000mah.The main motor might even take some more volts...but i don't think the esc would like it,might let the smoke out..lol

Heli Bones

Heli Bones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

180 yes, i had minor case in young timers.

those are some cool temps. I will just leave the motors as is.

yeah that is one thing about the 5 in 1 controller not much in getting around those electornics. well for me being the average joe that is. I know there are guys out there who can pick that board apart and do what ever they would like.

Blade 120 SR- Factory.

Blade MSR- Factory.
BS-AV8TOR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 03:02 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

HeliBones, great mods! I'm also up by about the same weight with the mods that I did. The trex250 skids make the SR120 look awesome, you might want to try it.

Other thing that makes it great looking and more stable is that I added boom braces and a small horizontal stabilizer.

I picked up a Y from the LHS that I can use with 2 stock batts but haven't tried yet. But I also ordered some 1200mAh lipos that charge much faster than the stock batteries.

What did yo uuse to regulate voltage for the LEDs? I am using resistors but a bunch of mA goes to heat so I'm trying to find a better solution with reasonable weight.
I am a Heli-Coholic! Citizen #207
PRTOS Max v2 PRTOS 380 Speed Goblin 380 Blade 180CFX
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Tomy. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

i read somewhere else that someone had fitted an extreme 180 motor from a cx2 and it didnt work. He said it wouldnt even lift off the ground. Not sure if its enough power going to it to make it work properly.

Those 250 skids look sweet but there has to be a point where i stop throwing money at these birds and just fly em.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

hey TOMY, can you post a pic of a full view of your 120sr?

what all did you have to do to get the 250 skids to work?

Blade 120 SR- Factory.

Blade MSR- Factory.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:03 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Av8tor, here's a more recent one with the boom braces, horizontal stabilizer, painted rotors, canopy and boom leds and the skids (ah and the Lego minifig pilot)

You can find more pics and the mods on this thread: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=241773

For the 250 skids to get them to work (stay with me, will try to explain don't have actual pics of the process)
  • I fit the 250 skid plastics over the 120 frame skids mount holes, marked them on the 250 skids and drilled 1/8" holes on the skid mounts. Be careful to position the holes in the center of the 250 mounts so you're not weakening one side too much. The 250 skid plastics were white so I needed to spray them black because looked much better to me on the 120, but they are actually available black too -- I will use those next because after some landing and skidding on the ground will start scratching off the bottom of the plastics and shows white again, where it meets the ground .
  • Now you will notice that the 250 skid mounts' cross bars block the main rotor gears on the bottom of the 120 frame and need to be moved down form the frame about 3 mm. Not more, because then they will block the battery holder! So I got 3mm tall, about 5mm diameter nylon black spacers from my hobby box (I'm not sure where they're from because I'm also into RC racing cars and have had those spacers for a long time probably as part of a suspension kit, I'm sure you can get something like this from the LHS) and drilled a hole through them with a 1/8" bit (watch your fingers).
  • If you have trouble sliding your batteries into the battery mount, you can sand away the little plastic notch from the bottom of the front skid mount. I also cut the antenna pipe holders and sanded their place nice and smooth (sure do this before painting )
  • I used 4x40x1/2" hex black screws (also available in any LHS) because they perfectly drive into the 120's skid mount holes and sit very tight, but does not stretch the mount holes (and I can always take the skid down and plug the originals back). Also they perfectly go with the black skids and they look really pro.
  • See I put on the skid mounts reaching forward and backward (on the 250 they are both reaching forward) to keep the CG.
  • You can move the skid bars in the mount back and forward to set the CG perfectly, this was perfect for me after all the othermods I did I still have a perfect CG under the main shaft. You will need a 0.9mm (0.035") hex driver to fasten the bars with those tiny screws. Hardware stores usually don't carry drivers that tiny, but one of the LHS had them (for $6 -- what a ripoff).
That's it, I think it sounds more complicated than it is, once you get the 120 frame and the 250 skids in your hands, you'll exactly see what I meant. They add 8 or 9 grams over the original skids, but I did not notice any difference in flight characteristics or flight time just because of this. Have fun!
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Old 09-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

where did you find 1200mah batteries?
PlanB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the links and keep up the awesome creativity. !!!

Blade 120 SR- Factory.

Blade MSR- Factory.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:58 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Av8tor, thanks!

Planb, check http://www.helipal.com/hyper-lithium...vpkqp24jsbd3h5 or http://www.rc711.com/shop/raiden-37v...ml?cPath=27_30 I think both sites also have less than 1200mah, like 700 or 800.
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Old 09-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got my 1000 mah batterys by getting a battery for a SR,the 11.1v 3S battery pack and i seperated the cells...presto thre 1000 mah cells.Solder on some leads,wrap the cels in some battery shrink tube and your good to go.

Heli Bones
Old 09-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 120 sr Jet Ranger

The 120 sr in a Cx2 Jet Ranger body!
It flys like a bigger heli.
With the extra weight it gives a higher headspeed and that makes it more stable,especialy on landings.
It is very scale like in the way that it flys.
I'm running a 1000 mah 15 C battery that i made from seperating the SR 3S battery pack.

The motors run cool and the tail holds well and has the same response as stock.
The tail motor is now 10 inches from the mainshaft.It is mounted in the body with a couple tiny screws from my msr parts bucket.
The horizontal stab was balsa wood when i got it so i removed the balsa and replaced it with thin foam.
So far i only have flown it in 5 min flights,i check the battery voltage and it is a 3.9v so i could go a little longer if i wanted to.
The heli weight without battery is......107.8g .............................and with the battery the AUW is...136.2g

On to the pics.............................

Heli Bones
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jet ranger tail motor holder 1.jpg
Views:	1858
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	179929   Click image for larger version

Name:	jrt ranger tail rotor.jpg
Views:	1700
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	179930   Click image for larger version

Name:	jet ranger DXi in background.jpg
Views:	2677
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	179931   Click image for larger version

Name:	jet ranger hovering in front of clock.jpg
Views:	1731
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	179932   Click image for larger version

Name:	jet ranger nose in.jpg
Views:	1530
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	179933  

Name:	jet ranger battery holder 2.jpg
Views:	1690
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	179934   Click image for larger version

Name:	jet ranger battery holder.jpg
Views:	1429
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	179935   Click image for larger version

Name:	jet ranger and family size compare rear veiw.jpg
Views:	1449
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	179936   Click image for larger version

Name:	jet ranger  and flag.jpg
Views:	1653
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	179937   Click image for larger version

Name:	jet ranger size compare side veiw.jpg
Views:	1870
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	179938  

Name:	jet ranger 1 hovering nose in.jpg
Views:	1306
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	179939   Click image for larger version

Name:	jet ranger and family front veiw.jpg
Views:	1285
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	179940  
Old 09-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Bones View Post
I have noticed that the left servo can become damaged in a crash from the landing skid ,where it mounts to the frame on the left rear can contact the big servo gear

On a hard landing or a crash the landing skid will destroy the left servo gear,and mabey even ruin the whole servo itself or crack the 5 in 1

So to fix it just trim the left rear skid mount so it sits flush with the frame

You will need to use a dremel because there are metal pins in the end of the part of the landing skid that goes into the frame.

I think this is the most important mod you could do.

If you don't do it............. you wil break the left servo/gear on a hard landing eventualy and mabey more.

Heli Bones...flying high
Heli Bones -

Great. I just crashed hard enough to deform the left skid. The large gear on the left servo got chewed up. I'm going to see if it can be salvaged.

I will also be filing the pin down on the new skid when I get it. I'll also be trying the tail rotor bearing keeper mod. Do you have any suggestions for material that can be used for that?
sixty-four is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

^^Heli Bones - now that is really cool man. I am so down with that.

Last edited by Jskrapper; 09-14-2010 at 08:52 AM..
Jskrapper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2010, 06:55 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Bones View Post
The 120 sr in a Cx2 Jet Ranger body!
It flys like a bigger heli.
With the extra weight it gives a higher headspeed and that makes it more stable,especialy on landings.
It is very scale like in the way that it flys.
I'm running a 1000 mah 15 C battery that i made from seperating the SR 3S battery pack.

The motors run cool and the tail holds well and has the same response as stock.
The tail motor is now 10 inches from the mainshaft.It is mounted in the body with a couple tiny screws from my msr parts bucket.
The horizontal stab was balsa wood when i got it so i removed the balsa and replaced it with thin foam.
So far i only have flown it in 5 min flights,i check the battery voltage and it is a 3.9v so i could go a little longer if i wanted to.
The heli weight without battery is......107.8g .............................and with the battery the AUW is...136.2g

On to the pics.............................

Heli Bones
Absolutely incredible. I will call my LHS and see if I can get that body. Great to know I won't have to spend hundreds on a more realistic looking heli.
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLH1263
Great job and please get a video out! I am really impressed.
Taking a second look at your pics I will use a reemer I bought from my local hobby shop to make a neater tail motor hole. I also plan to use the lights that are presently in my 120 SR's canopy. Hope to have something to post soon.

Also wondering about this as an option:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLH1270

Last edited by urrl; 09-14-2010 at 08:12 AM..
urrl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

sixty-four....Oh no!..Sorry to hear that you mucked up your left servo gear.Be sure to trim the next one,i find a dremel works best for me...next would be some dikes....wire cutters.
For the bearing keeper you need some thin plastic that will slide between the tail motoe and the tail motor housing.
Hmmm....i would say a credit card but i think it might break when you bend it to 90*,but it might work...something about like a credit card same thickness and strength.
As long as you can slide the plastic between the motor can and the plastic motor holder and have it hold a 90* bend you sould be all set.
When you find a strip of plastic to use,give it a try first to find out where and if it will slide between the motor can and motor holder...because if you don't first check and see if it will then you will waist your time cutting a nice hole for the motor shaft..lol
So shop around the house and see what you can come up with....OH...OH OH...I know...a soda bottle!!!
That should be just right>cut a few strips and start seeing where one will slide in between the motor can and holder.......So there ya go...have a soda and then make your bearing keeper!

urrl........
Thanks man,I know what you mean about spending big $$ for a nice looking heli.
I took a look at the link for the Sea Hawk.....nice.
I had looked at that one on the HH site and i liked it.But i was a bit worried about the weight,thats why i picked the jet ranger i thought it looked like the lightest of the scale cx2/2 bodies,plus they didn't have that one at the lhs.

But now that i have done this one and if the lhs had one i think i would buy another 120 sr and try it.

I say go for it.I really think it will work out well.
The key to useing these Cx2/3 scale boddies is that you need 1000mah battery power.
Not just for the extra capacity but for the weight.You need the extra weight to balance it right or else it will be tail heavy.
You could try with the stock battery but then you will need to add about 14g extra to ballance so why not have the extra weight come along as extra power right.

The tail motor hole is a bit large.But i needed the room to be able to tuck the tail motor and holder into the tail.
And this being the first time i have ever had a scale body for a heli i made a couple cuts that were in the wrong place..lol
The next one will be better...like that how i said the next one,i plan on getting a second 120 sr.!
Got to get rid/trade some of my rc trucks and collection of parts first.

I won't be able to put up any video......but if someone is in New Hampshire....southern and wants to meet up and video it for me send me a pm!!

So......urrl i am sitting here waiting to see yours with the Sea Hawk body!!
I found the most difficult was...locating the proper location for the skid holes in the body..i cut mine kind of large because i was having trouble hoe they exited the body.
And mounting the chassis...It had to be far enough back so the battery would balance it level and it had to be up high enough so the flybar would have enough room and not hit the top of the body.It is close,but so fro no issue at all.I though i would have some trouble because the flybar can not go down as far as before but when your flying iy you see it has plenty of room.Have to remember that you have a scale body so it flys scale....
And you are limited to how far up you mount the chassis by the 5 in 1 on the jet ranger,that is what first makes contact with the body.
Not trying to scare you away from doing it just letting you know the issues i had....which really were no trouble since you see i have said i will get a second 120 sr and an other body for it!

I don't like where the skids come out on the jet ranger but thats where the stock ones are....not much i can do unless i remove them and make my own and mount them to the body itself...but then i'm worried a hard landing could cause the body to crush.....and they would have to weigh the same as the staock skids because i don't want to add anymore weight...besides led lights..lol
I had thought about building a carbon fiber roll cage inside the body and mounting the landing skid to the roll cage...but....mabey on the next one.
The only thing i will do to this one...and it will add a tiny bit of weight is paint the body.

Any ideas on a paint scheme?
I thought of...camo like a Kiowa......or dull green like the military.......or Santini Air since everyone is always doing airwolf,dominic santini gets pushed to the side..lol

I would like to hear some ideas from you guys,mabey a link to a pic of one you have in mind.

Thank you all, for the nice words!

Heli Bones
Old 09-14-2010, 11:46 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Spent most of the day on this thing. It seemed a bit unstable to fly indoors so I will wait till morning to figure the weight distribution in case it is tail heavy. Too tired to do any more. I bought a glue gun from Target store for $4.99 which helped a lot. I haven't figured a way to secure the battery. I have an idea of putting two batteries in parallel if both of them are not too heavy. I made some pics during the build process, will post later. Meanwhile here is the video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIyDL6TpNLA[/ame]
Old 09-15-2010, 12:41 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Couldn't resist attempting to hover it in my room before going to bed. It was leaning a lot to the right so I did a rough adjustment on the servo arm which helped. I was able to hover, however I need two batteries velcro'd inside the bottom of the nose to counterbalance the tail, which is fine with me. I will make short test flights tomorrow, hopefully, then hook up the batteries in parallel for longer flights, perhaps taping them together. Looks like this might work!
Old 09-15-2010, 08:34 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is a hovering video; it was too windy for outdoors flight today. Control is less precise than stock SR 120 but it is manageable. My kitty wanted the spotlight in this video.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HBkynIQHas[/ame]
Old 09-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well it sounds like you have a body on your 120 sr....I can't veiw vid...really stinks!
Do you have any pics?
I did some flying outside yesterday with the jet ranger.It was fun flying a heli that looks like a heli..lol
With the 1000 mah i'm getting a 7 min runtime then LVC comes on.The main motor was a bit higher temp wise than before it was 115*.I also vented the cover for the 5 in 1.
I'm having a blast flying this around.

Looking forward to seeing some pics urrl !!

Heli Bones
Old 09-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Making preparations to go out of town. (Taking my heli with me of course!) I will try posting pics this evening or tomorrow. I really need to pair up some batteries in parallel for this new mod. I've researched the model and it closely resembles the Blackhawk helicopter. Glad I chose black insead of the grey version. I'm really happy with it.

Good to hear you're having fun with your mod! Wish the wind would die down but it doesn't look like it will. I have yet to try it outdoors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.