Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 06:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Question about tqail wag and gyro mode

Hi guys,

Finished building my new 250SE this week and I seem to have a minor case of the tail wags. Higher gain gives me small fast wags and lower gain gives me slow bigger wags.

It is a stock 250SE super combo (ie align 780 gyro, align servos, stock motor).

Now the strange thing I have noticed is that in rate mode the tail holds perfectly (after a bit of trim of course). There is not even a hint of wagging. When I switch back to HH mode the wag starts.

My question for the experts here is is this normal for most people suffering from wagging problems or does mine hint at a different problem. I would think that if it only wags in HH mode then it probably has nothing to do with tail binding or any mechanical issue but rather is the gyro that is inducing the wag.

Thinking along this line I checked for vibrations and cannot really detect much - interesting thing to note though is that there are no wags when the model in on the floor (ie just before take off) or when I spool it up in my hands. As soon as it leaves the ground it starts a wag.

Fortunatly it is a small wag and currently is more of an irritant than anything else.
atunguyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

try setting your gyro from "DS" (Digitial Servo) to "AS" (Analog Servo) and see what that does.

I assume you servo ball on the tail arm is at 4.5? try moving it in closer (4.0 or 3.5)... you will need to make your own hole.

Try adding some Delay (the last setting on your gryo).
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Steve, can you add a link to your "list of issues to check if you have a wagging tail" post? It's awesome with so many things to check...
I am a Heli-Coholic! Citizen #207
PRTOS Max v2 PRTOS 380 Speed Goblin 380 Blade 180CFX
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Tomy. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Steve,

CAn you confirm that your tail wag goes away on rate mode?

Switching to analogue mode on the servo definitlyimproves things and now the wag is only slightly noticable. Delay seems to have no affect as does switching the gyro from small heli to large.

I have a DS3500G on my mini titan, this weekend I will try it on the 250.
atunguyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

It makes sense that the wag would go away in rate mode because the gyro is essentially off.
Rate mode you have full control of the tail. Heading hold the gryo fights to keep the heli in the last direction you told it. The wag is from something wrong in the gyro/ servo feed back loop.
Cadjocky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think Cadjocky summed it up correctly... indeed the wag goes away in rate mode. I found the same with mine.. changing the Delay fuction had no effect at all... it was only switching from DS to AS. Here is the complete list...https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=51
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 11:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

You mentioned you need trim for it to stay true in rate mode, try to mechanically adjust it so it stays true without any trim.Trimming can confuse a gyro...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in