Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Hitec Radios

Hitec Radios Hitec Radios Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Two Crashes W/Aurora 9

Guys,

I recently had two crashes with my helis flying with an Aurora 9.

The first crash was with my E-550 which suddenly became unresponsive and crashed. When I reached the heli the red light was on, the TX showed that it was connected with the receiver but there was no response to control inputs. This heli was running an ICE 75 with a regulator.

Once I got home I connected a new ESC and everything worked great. I thought I had solved the problem.

The next day I went out with my Raptor E-620. (ICE 100/Castle BEC Pro) After range checks and fail safe checks I flew and all seemed OK. I was a great day and I felt I had the problem solved. On about the fourth flight the transmitter started beeping. I thought that this must be the low voltage alarm and turned to land. I gradually lost aileron control and the heli crashed.

Unlike the first crash I had control of the heli all the way except for aileron. The battery was disconnected in the crash so I couldn’t check the red light.

Afterwards the transmitter was totally unresponsive to screen touches. No matter where I pressed on the screen there was no response. It was totally locked up. Once I had turned it off and back on it worked normally.

Once I had it back on I looked for the cause of the beeping.
Voltages were OK on the heli and TX. Since the beeps sounded like those the TX makes when trim or other adjustments are made I checked all for the settings. I finally found what had changed on the D/R & EXP screen. Rate for AILE was L: 11% R: 0%. This explains the loss of aileron control.

This sounds crazy but the transmitter spontaneously changed some settings and then locked up. The only thing that you could do was turn it off.

This is a bummer. In two days my heli inventory was wiped out. It’s going to take a while to save up for repairs.

I love my Aurora 9. I have had it for over a year and logged several hundred flights with it with absolutely no problems. Several members of the club I belong to have one of these transmitters with no problems.

I am exchanging info with Hitec. They have been responsive to this problem.

Has anyone else had their Aurora 9 lock up like this?

Thanks
PeteS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
Guys, I recently had two crashes with my helis flying with an Aurora 9. The first crash was with my E-550 which suddenly became unresponsive and crashed. When I reached the heli the red light was on, the TX showed that it was connected with the receiver but there was no response to control inputs. This heli was running an ICE 75 with a regulator. Once I got home I connected a new ESC and everything worked great. I thought I had solved the problem. The next day I went out with my Raptor E-620. (ICE 100/Castle BEC Pro) After range checks and fail safe checks I flew and all seemed OK. I was a great day and I felt I had the problem solved. On about the fourth flight the transmitter started beeping. I thought that this must be the low voltage alarm and turned to land. I gradually lost aileron control and the heli crashed. Unlike the first crash I had control of the heli all the way except for aileron. The battery was disconnected in the crash so I couldn’t check the red light. Afterwards the transmitter was totally unresponsive to screen touches. No matter where I pressed on the screen there was no response. It was totally locked up. Once I had turned it off and back on it worked normally. Once I had it back on I looked for the cause of the beeping. Voltages were OK on the heli and TX. Since the beeps sounded like those the TX makes when trim or other adjustments are made I checked all for the settings. I finally found what had changed on the D/R & EXP screen. Rate for AILE was L: 11% R: 0%. This explains the loss of aileron control. This sounds crazy but the transmitter spontaneously changed some settings and then locked up. The only thing that you could do was turn it off. This is a bummer. In two days my heli inventory was wiped out. It’s going to take a while to save up for repairs. I love my Aurora 9. I have had it for over a year and logged several hundred flights with it with absolutely no problems. Several members of the club I belong to have one of these transmitters with no problems. I am exchanging info with Hitec. They have been responsive to this problem.
Has anyone else had their Aurora 9 lock up like this? Thanks
ICE 75 problems with a regulator - is the Red ESC/BEC wire disconnected?
Optima Transceiver (RX) - SPC - SPC connection & Lead Detailed plus Optima Current Draw/Amps - NB: View warning Video re use of balance taps.
With regard to ICE 100 suggest,
The BEC on the ICE LITE-100 failed.
Castle recall all BEC Pro ESC
BEC are responsible for more EP crashes, irrespective of model/RC system, than any other reason.
The use of a switchmode regulator - (available 5V or 6V) rather than ESC/BEC is recommended with any system.
Electronic Speed Control - Why BEC and LVC cause most EP RX problems
and more at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Regards
Alan T.

Last edited by A.T.; 11-13-2010 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: add ESC/BEC wire diagram url.
A.T. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alan,

Sorry about the multiple posts.

I have also seen accounts of BEC Pro failures and have had a couple of guys at our club have crashes caused by power failures due to faulty BECs.

In my case when I had the crash with the BEC equipped heli I don't think there was a power failure. I had control of the heli except for the aileron. I immediately checked the transmitter after the crash and saw that it was locked up. There was no response to screen touches.

I could hardly beleive it. I spent quite a bit of time pressing different places on the main screen with no response. I turned the TX off and back on. The first time it was still locked up. The second time I turned it off and on everything was back to normal and worked as it should.

Has their ever been any other accounts of Aurora 9's locking up like this? This has to be the cause of this crash. It had never done this before.

Thanks for the reply.

Pete
Old 11-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Pete, it was almost definitely the BEC pro. What you described sounds exactly to me what the BEC PRO does when it goes bad. I already replied to your post in RCgroups...long post. But pm me if with any questions. I already went through exactly what happened to you...its not your radio or receiver...
Old 11-19-2010, 04:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Extensive answer, with copy joe1l's post, to original question posted
Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room > Hitec Aurora 9 Radio Videos - post #347

Alan T.
A.T. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Aurora 9 Lockout

Yesterday I was test flying my Pantera and out of the blue I lost signal. I had been flying around and was coming into a hover when all control left. It was leaning to the right about to tip over then settled down onto its skids and sat there and ran its entire tank of gas out and never got signal back. Transmitter screen worked as I was setting gyro rates and I was able to back out of those screens. When it finally shut down I put it on the bench and removed the canopy and the radio was powered up servos were powered up but no signal. After I shut down transmitter and receiver and back on then system was functioning. I am running a LiFe 6.6 Receiver battery and it has a belt drive. I am curious if possibly static from belt would cause lockout or voltage is too high. Voltage was at 6.5 at time of incident. Receiver is a Optima 7 and servos are Futaba 3004 and the antennae faces forward on the radio tray.
craigr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigr View Post
Yesterday I was test flying my Pantera and out of the blue I lost signal. I had been flying around and was coming into a hover when all control left. It was leaning to the right about to tip over then settled down onto its skids and sat there and ran its entire tank of gas out and never got signal back. Transmitter screen worked as I was setting gyro rates and I was able to back out of those screens. When it finally shut down I put it on the bench and removed the canopy and the radio was powered up servos were powered up but no signal. After I shut down transmitter and receiver and back on then system was functioning. I am running a LiFe 6.6 Receiver battery and it has a belt drive. I am curious if possibly static from belt would cause lockout or voltage is too high. Voltage was at 6.5 at time of incident. Receiver is a Optima 7 and servos are Futaba 3004 and the antennae faces forward on the radio tray.
Craig, i replied to your other post regarding the Life pack brown out, but now that you mention the belt drive, it is VERY VERY possible that static was the culprit too. I have had static issues on my Outrage 550 that look identical to brown outs but were static related. I had installed a new belt at the time and never lubed it. The issue reproduce-able, but once i lubed my belt....did not happen again. Silcone will last over 20+ flights before it needs to be re-applied!
Old 03-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
Alan,

Sorry about the multiple posts.

I have also seen accounts of BEC Pro failures and have had a couple of guys at our club have crashes caused by power failures due to faulty BECs.

In my case when I had the crash with the BEC equipped heli I don't think there was a power failure. I had control of the heli except for the aileron. I immediately checked the transmitter after the crash and saw that it was locked up. There was no response to screen touches.

I could hardly beleive it. I spent quite a bit of time pressing different places on the main screen with no response. I turned the TX off and back on. The first time it was still locked up. The second time I turned it off and on everything was back to normal and worked as it should.

Has their ever been any other accounts of Aurora 9's locking up like this? This has to be the cause of this crash. It had never done this before.

Thanks for the reply.

Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1l View Post
Hi Pete, it was almost definitely the BEC pro. What you described sounds exactly to me what the BEC PRO does when it goes bad. I already replied to your post in RCgroups...long post. But pm me if with any questions. I already went through exactly what happened to you...its not your radio or receiver...
Out of curiosity how does the Bec pro failing change Tx settings while leaving everything powered up????
If the bec fails it fails?????

Not being wise just wondering about the logic here??
Sparky Inman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 12:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

my Aurora changed setiings all by itself on me once before.
The ruder chanel was reversed and left/right on aileron!
Luckily i noticed before i took off.
Hope it does not do it again.
Evil666 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default A9

After I had these two crashes I changed my setup to power the receiver directly from the battery via the SPC connection.

Iíve probably flown 100+ flights since then with no problems. I agree that powering the receiver in this way is a no-brainer and all should do this. Itís also nice to be able monitor the battery and set a low voltage alarm.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Inman View Post
Out of curiosity how does the Bec pro failing change Tx settings while leaving everything powered up????
If the bec fails it fails?????

Not being wise just wondering about the logic here??
I'd say there bug in the firmware it self.
Mine has behave similarly once, unresponsive to screen touch, and there is a few times its on with blank screen.

There must be some conditions that trigger the bug.
Why I think its firmware bug? The microcontroller it self is famous atmega chip, which has been proven to be stable in way to many applications.
But the programs written for it are not.

Its a shame that I own T8FG, Aurora and Turnigy9x and now I flew turnigy 9X the most, trying to sell the futaba (coz of expensive receiver) and keeping the aurora.

I should be flying Aurora, Selling the Futaba and keeping the Turnigy.
whiskey29 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in