Century 50 Size Airwolf/Swift Build Thread - Page 6 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Scale Projects <790

Scale Projects <790 Scale Projects <790 Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #101 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I tried a few headspeeds. It was underpowered and shaky in the 1600s and 1700s, so now I'm in the 1800s. There's still something wrong that I can't identify though. Maybe the main grips are still too stiff. I think the tail blades were too tight on the last flight too. What I need is to bring all my tools and a laptop to the field one day and just tinker and test fly back to back. I'm never in the mood to do that though - I'd rather just fly the Logo and the TDR, which are both such a pleasure by comparison.
dswitkin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #102 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswitkin View Post
I tried a few headspeeds. It was underpowered and shaky in the 1600s and 1700s, so now I'm in the 1800s. There's still something wrong that I can't identify though. Maybe the main grips are still too stiff. I think the tail blades were too tight on the last flight too. What I need is to bring all my tools and a laptop to the field one day and just tinker and test fly back to back. I'm never in the mood to do that though - I'd rather just fly the Logo and the TDR, which are both such a pleasure by comparison.
I scrolled back a few pages and can't seem to find the post with the problems you are experiencing.

What problem is it?
Old 06-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #103 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, I've identified and fixed the following already:

* Underpowered cyclic servos
* Insufficient receiver battery
* Defective swashplate which dragged on the main shaft
* Bad head geometry which caused physical binding
* Defective VBar sensor
* Stiff main blade grips
* Vibration-inducing plastic tail blades
* Worn motor shaft and bearings
* Outdated CC firmware (now 4.01 with governor on)

Despite all that, there are still a lot of vibrations and the machine just doesn't fly well. It doesn't feel responsive and powerful enough, such that I don't feel comfortable putting it in the scale fuselage.

I'm feeling at a loss for what else could be wrong, and my flying buddies haven't spotted anything either. Not that they want anything to do with the Swift. They want to kill it Office Space style:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...er+destruction
Old 06-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #104 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is hard to diagnose a vibration problem without more info:

Is it a vibration while landing or taking off yet while smooth in the air?

Is it a low speed vibration (like a nodding while in flight)?

Is it a mid speed vibration (landing gear and canopy vibration while in flight)?

Is it a high speed vibration while in hover. (vertical or horizontal find buzzing)?

Is it a tail wag vibration?

What blades and size?

Last edited by MotorRotor; 07-01-2012 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: word correction
MotorRotor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #105 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I've had a few different kinds of vibrations in the past, I'm trying to remember what happened on the last flight more than a month ago. It's a vibration in the air, pretty noticeable in a hover too. I need to use the VBar analyzer again to check what frequency it's happening at.

The blades are 600mm and fiberglass. I recently took them off and checked the balance which was fine. The tail blades are Edge CF, I think 86mm but I'd have to check.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #106 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswitkin View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the help. I've had a few different kinds of vibrations in the past, I'm trying to remember what happened on the last flight more than a month ago. It's a vibration in the air, pretty noticeable in a hover too. I need to use the VBar analyzer again to check what frequency it's happening at.

The blades are 600mm and fiberglass. I recently took them off and checked the balance which was fine. The tail blades are Edge CF, I think 86mm but I'd have to check.
OK, the next time you try it, remember what kind of vibe it is relative to the list I gave you. That will make it a lot easier to figure out the problem.

I assume you are flying without the fuselage at the moment?

I assume it is with a two blade FBL head?

Note that the Swift has a higher ratio tail rotor. This means that the tail rotor turns faster then other helis at the same main rotor speeds. Consequently it can work very well with shorter tail rotor blades. I believe the stock blades where only 72mm in length because of this. That gives you more ground clearance also.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #107 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Right, it's the Century two blade CNC FBL head (see earlier posts) and being flown as pod and boom minus the canopy, because the battery needs to be very far forward to offset the longer boom and aluminum tail case.

Do you know what the tail ratio is? Is it higher than 5:1? I'm happy to stick with 86mm tail blades instead of the more typical longer ones for 600 size machines.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #108 (permalink)
Registered Users

oops wrong thread
Old 08-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #109 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Quick Update

About a month ago I got the Swift to fly significantly better by changing tail blades. Turns out the Edge blades I had were out of balance and causing a lot of issues. So much for assuming name brand blades are usable right out of the package every time. Joe thought it flew well enough to mount in the fuselage.

However at IRCHA I saw a guy with a Logo 600 mounted in a FunKey Bell 222 and talked with him for a while about how he did it. He had a removable windscreen which allowed him to insert a stick pack into the machine from the front, but mostly kept the pack in place and charged in the model. That's not ideal but with some caution it's reasonable.

After seeing his heli I decided to buy a Logo 500SE there at IRCHA while ReadyHeli had them on sale, and move all the electronics over from the Swift. The Swift is certainly smaller and more flexible for scale projects but since I have a Logo already I'm more comfortable with them. I'll probably put the Swift up for sale once it's stripped down.

Time to get this project moving again!
Old 04-15-2016, 06:32 PM   #110 (permalink)
Registered Users

After 4 years, I finally got the two Swifts flying again.

Jet Ranger - Funkey (1 min 26 sec)

Cobra (0 min 23 sec)
sidneyw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2016, 01:23 AM   #111 (permalink)
Registered Users

Those look to be two very nice scale birds!
Old 04-17-2016, 01:35 PM   #112 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice. I like the bright yellow as it stands out from the background. Although I am partial to the military helicopters I have to admit that the civilian one looks really cool ...

Gh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
goodhunting is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.