Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 03:57 AM   #221 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor Hill View Post
Some esky transmitters seem to work and others not. If you can set the tx ( mixing off) so that when you move the elevator stick one servo moves, move aileron and another servo moves and moving the throttle stick the 3rd servo moves then it will work.
If you cannot get it to do this then it will not work.
You cannot set up FM unless you can load, connect and use the programme or you purchase the hand held controller.
Hi Ivor,
I am pretty sure that i got the mixer off and working as per your description. Also had tried using both PC Helibal and handheld controller.
As described in my first post earlier, seems to me that FM got the signal differently from what expected.

From what is seems like:
1. TX PIT = AIL
2. TX ELEV = Collective Pitch/Throttle
3. TX AIL = ELEV

Question:
1. Do you think I should switch the connection from FM to receiver to have the FM respond to the right signal?
2. When the throttle increase, Collective Pitch doesn't change... Is FM mixer have Throttle/Collective Pitch mixing??
3. If all failed, which RX/TX is the cheapest option which you know it is working with FM and able to guide me to set it up correctly.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Regards,

Peng
skpeng is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #222 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

Hi Ivor,

I think I finally got the FM working.
As my previous trial gave me:
1. TX PIT = AIL
2. TX ELEV = Collective Pitch/Throttle (In fact, this shoult be ELEV; required servo reverse)
3. TX AIL = ELEV (In fact, this shoult be PIT; required servo reverse)

So I thought I swap the AIL and ELEV signal and try reverse the servo..I swapped the signal port to following connection:

Port 1 (PIT) = FM White, Red, Black color
Port 2 (ELEV) = FM Yellow Color
Port 3 (Brushless Speed Controller) = ESC
Port 4 (Gyro) = FM Grey Color
Port 5 (For Head Lock Gyro) = Not Connected
Port 6 (AIL) = FM Orange color

Then went in to the Handheld Control unit (or HELIBAL) and reversed the ELEV Servo.
Now it works properly. Follow on with standard fine tune as described in your post, it seems working. Will try to bring out tomorrow and have it lift off ground and see what happen.

I will check the post before I try to fly it, just in case if you notice something might be wrong, let me know before I go outside and crash it. Thanks.

By the way, I noticed the rudder trim doesn't travel as far as the stick, any idea?

Thank you.

Regards,

Peng
Old 03-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #223 (permalink)
Registered Users

It looks like your reciever connections are the same as Futaba. You should not reverse aileron,elevator or pitch servos in the TX it should be done useing the programme.
If you have followed the intructions so the swash moves in the opposit way when you tip the heli, have set stick directions so they are correct and re-leveled and centred the swash, and checked that the tail is operating correctly then you are good for a test hover.
You could check that you don't have any vibration problems, fix the heli down so that it cannot fly and in position or balance mode throttle up to hover speed. The blades and flybar should stay level, if they tip then you have to much vibration and do not attempt to fly.
Use training legs if you have them. Good luck
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 03:57 AM   #224 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Ivor,

For the pre-flight test, everything went well... but when I did the fly test just now, the Heli is Spinning, not fast but I have to rudder to left in order to counter it, I had my green line connected to receiver so that I can use the TX to adjust the gain (I kept it at approx. 60%).
The tail blade adjusted slightly to left to counter the right spin, but doesn't seems enough? Is there any adjustment to the tail gyro which I missed?

When it lifted (with slight left rudder to counter the spinning), the Heli was balance, does not hold position, it drifted to Rear-Left direction. I noticed ground level might not be perfectly level (Tile surface), maybe 1 degree in angle.. it that the cause? Test flight was done in the middle of day, pretty sure the contrast to ground is sufficient.

Result of today test flight is that the heli was crashed (hit the tree), blade need to be replace; good news is it lifted approx. 2m height and rotor seems to work close to what what it should be... it is finally going somewhere. I hope one more round of tuning, I am able to get it to hover properly, at least solving the spinning and rear-left drifting issue.
Any idea, please advise.

Thank you.

Regards,

Peng
Old 03-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #225 (permalink)
Registered Users

If there is enough contrast the flashing green led will change to solid green.
No the slight inclination of you flying area is not causing the problem.
The tail should be set up in normal mode. In normal mode the tail servo will centre and should be 90 degrees to the servo. You then need to set it mechanicaly be sliding the servo along the boom so that the tail holds in a hover without useing stick or trim. You then need to set the travel so that with full stick the tail slider does not bind against the tail casing. Then change to HH and set the best gain.
If the heli is drifting first use your Tx trims to stop it then connect to the programme again and rework the neutrals so you add the amount of TX trim to the neutrals. So you are then able to hover with no or only 2-3 clicks of TX trim. Fm does not like a lot of TX trim.
In simple terms if the heli is drifting back and left then the swash needs tipping forward and right and you use the aileron and elevator neutrals to do this. But first make shure the heli is balanced.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #226 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FM

Ivor:
When I tilt the heli it moves in opposite direction like it should, but it only moves a little and I have it tilted a lot.
Is there a way to get more throw from the FM when the heli is tilted or is that normal.

Thank You
joe1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #227 (permalink)
Registered Users

It should tilt about 30 degree aileron and about 20 degrees elevator.
Is the blue wire connected or not ?.
Look under the control tab in helibal is aileron and elevator travels set at 100 ?.
Look under the advance tab is balancer gain set at 70 ?.
Look in the TX are end points ( travel adjust ) set at 100% ?.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #228 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FM

Ivor :
It is all set right and as you listed.
I'm getting more elevator then aileron, when I tilt the heli 45 degrees left or right, then I'm getting around 30 degree of opposite tilt.
So that's enough tilt and is normal setting of the FM.
I have not tried it in flight, as the weather has been nasty, but I hope to soon.

Thank You
joe1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #229 (permalink)
Registered Users

Elevator travel should be 70% of aileron travel. If there is to much elevator travel the heli will nod.
Look at advance page and check that elevater gain is set at factory setting 7.
While your there check that all setting on that page are factory settings compare them with the seeting shown in the manuel.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #230 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Ivor,

I finally had my heli hovering, I didn't get the tail issue resolved with FM, just put back the ESKY Gyro; I think it works better compare to FM.

Still have minor adjustment required, I guess my swash plate wasn't 100% leveled, Heli continue to drift away, I think I can solve it with some fine tuning....just takes time.

Thank you for your assistant.

Regards,

Peng

Quote:
Originally Posted by skpeng View Post
Hi Ivor,

For the pre-flight test, everything went well... but when I did the fly test just now, the Heli is Spinning, not fast but I have to rudder to left in order to counter it, I had my green line connected to receiver so that I can use the TX to adjust the gain (I kept it at approx. 60%).
The tail blade adjusted slightly to left to counter the right spin, but doesn't seems enough? Is there any adjustment to the tail gyro which I missed?

When it lifted (with slight left rudder to counter the spinning), the Heli was balance, does not hold position, it drifted to Rear-Left direction. I noticed ground level might not be perfectly level (Tile surface), maybe 1 degree in angle.. it that the cause? Test flight was done in the middle of day, pretty sure the contrast to ground is sufficient.

Result of today test flight is that the heli was crashed (hit the tree), blade need to be replace; good news is it lifted approx. 2m height and rotor seems to work close to what what it should be... it is finally going somewhere. I hope one more round of tuning, I am able to get it to hover properly, at least solving the spinning and rear-left drifting issue.
Any idea, please advise.

Thank you.

Regards,

Peng
Old 03-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #231 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad your getting there. We set the swash level because we have to start somewhere but in a hover it will not be exactly level and only test hovering will show us where it needs to be. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #232 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very useful guide IH...Thanks!
I was able to configure all settings in one go.

Odd though why the swash type in my Dx6i needs to be at 90 deg for the heli swash/servos to operate properly.

Turned FM off, I made a test fly and everything was OK.
Turned FM on (position mode), hovered at 1m and it drifted quickly to the left but it was level.
I was indoor so the air inside might cause the drift.
Apparently, dark hard wood floor is not contrast enough for FM to hold position.

I'm thinking of using a separate gyro (GA250).
With the FM gyro at normal mode, I needed to set (@TX) gyro to 40-45% just to stop tail wag.

Sadly, one the left leg DIY FPV landing skids came loose, probably from the hops I made on the initial test flight and didn't noticed so I had to crash the heli.

Glad that the FM works (not sure with the postion mode though but horizontal was OK?) but sad that heli will be grounded for repairs.

Anyway, thanks again IH.
red_colt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #233 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flybarless head

Ivor,
First off , I'd like to thank you for such a great job in posting this instructions on the setup. I wouldn't be where im at now with my 600 if i hadn't found this site.
Here's my setup before i ask you some stupid questions so you know what i'm using on my equipment.
Aileron, pitch and elevator servo= Align DS610
Tail servo = Align DS620
Receiver and Transmitter = Walkera 2801pro
Motor = Turnigy Typhoon 600H/1100kv
ESC = Turnigy K-force 100amp
Gyro = KDS Flymentor 3D w/programmer
Battery = Bear Power 22.2V /5600mah 35c

I have tried to hover this several times but i cant seem to get it steady or at least leveled in the air. Each time i take off from the ground , the heli would want to take off in different directions and i'm constantly trying to level it. I've crashed 4 times out of 10 attempts to hover. It seems unpredictable. What would you suggest that i look into resolving this issue and will a flybarless head work on this KDS flymentor 3D?. Currently, the heli is a flybar setup. I appreciate your time, thank you.
Mikey G is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #234 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is the blue wire connected or not ?.
If the blue wire is disconnected what is the balancer gain value that you are useing ?.
Does FM move the swash in the opposit direction to correct when you tip the heli ?.
Did you reset the swash back to centre and level after fitting FM ?.
Is the green LED flashing when the heli is close to the ground and turn solid green when you lift it a few inches of the ground out doors in good light?.
When you power up FM is the swash moving without stick commands ?.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #235 (permalink)
Registered Users

[QUOTE=Ivor Hill;3762600]Is the blue wire connected or not ?. No

If the blue wire is disconnected what is the balancer gain value that you are useing ?.The balance sense is at 072, total gain at 010, stick gain at 007, ccd gain at 005 ,attack angle at 007.

Does FM move the swash in the opposit direction to correct when you tip the heli ?. Yes

Did you reset the swash back to centre and level after fitting FM ?. Yes

Is the green LED flashing when the heli is close to the ground and turn solid green when you lift it a few inches of the ground out doors in good light?. No. It flashes green rapidly and doesn't change when i change the altitude of the heli from the ground.

When you power up FM is the swash moving without stick commands ? No, not till it's up in the air. It moves by itself when the heli is up in the air with no stick inputs, it will suddenly tilt right , left and forward on its own.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #236 (permalink)
Registered Users

If there is enough light and the ground has some sort of pattern, grass is best the LED should turn solid green when the heli is a few inches of the ground if it does not do that I can only think that yuo have a faulty unit but as far as I know this problem has not been reported before.
Random movements are usualy caused by vibration. Fix the heli down so it cannot fly and run it up to hover speed. The blades and flybar should remain level, if they tip you have vibration problems.
If this is the case you will need to find where the vibs are comming from and or use better quality gyro mounting pad.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #237 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default automobile

Thanks Ivor. I will do that. Next and hopefully the last question i have, Where or what channel do i hook up the blue wire to on the receiver?. Gear and Aux3 and battery is the only open ports i have on my RX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor Hill View Post
If there is enough light and the ground has some sort of pattern, grass is best the LED should turn solid green when the heli is a few inches of the ground if it does not do that I can only think that yuo have a faulty unit but as far as I know this problem has not been reported before.
Random movements are usualy caused by vibration. Fix the heli down so it cannot fly and run it up to hover speed. The blades and flybar should remain level, if they tip you have vibration problems.
If this is the case you will need to find where the vibs are comming from and or use better quality gyro mounting pad.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:36 AM   #238 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've installed the system on my 600pro with 0.06s servo, and there is some mild but noticeable servo sync problem between the left and right servos.

When rapidly changing pitch, the right servo lags behind the other two, resulting in some aileron control. Any cures for this? Probably not noticeable in normal flight otherwise.
kimmik is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #239 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Got it

I figured it out. The glitches were coming from 2 things. One, the static from the tail. Two, the routing of the wirings. I separated all the servo , rx and kds wirings in their own wire looms and made a better tail ground. It flies smooth now.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #240 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flashing red LEDs .....

Hi all

I think I have read...re read.... And readit all again .... There's so great stuff here and it seems very usefull.... That is if I can get pasts the flashing red LED (fast) when batt is connected.

In my search for answers I only came across a vid http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...4kLqGPn8kiHfYQ

This is doing what mine is.....any clues would be a big help...
Mustbemad! is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in