Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello Ivor,

Thank you so much for teaching us about FM. In my scale heli (Robbe Spirit Li with Ecureuil AS 350 scale) I hope it will work just fine, but ...
I followed your advise and the swash is working as it should do. My question is shall I use my futaba 401 gyro or can I use the gyro from FM for the tail as well.
I just want the heli to fly smooth and get a steady hoover, I don't fly the heli to far away? Will the gyro from FM be good for this?

Thanks, Peter
Spirit Li is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

The FM tail gyro is about as good as a cheap piezo gyro, it is useable but not great, it cannot compeat with a Futaba 401. If you have a 401 fitted I would leave it on.
Do 20-30 test flights with FM before fitting it into the fuselage. Good luck.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for your advice. But if I use my DX6i TX, does that means that I will have to take the green, grey and bleu wire out of the RX? What does orange do?

Happy flying,
Peter
Old 06-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes with the DX6i those wires will be disconnected so you will not be able to adjust FM gain and modes useing your TX, FM will be on all the time.
The orange wire is pitch and connects to channel 6.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you Ivor.
So let me see if I got right. I use the AR6200 from Spektrum so..
esc goes in throttle (channel 1)
3 wires from FM goes in aile (channel 2)
yellow from FM goes in elev (channel 3)
gyro (futaba 401 goes in rudder (channel 4)
yellow wire from gyro (futaba 401) goes in gear (channel 5)
and orange wire from FM goes in aux (channel 6)
so I can use the battery slot for lights

If I do this FM is in full control of the swashplate en I can use the Tx to adjust the gyro (futaba 401) for the tail?

I realy want to thank you for helping out. I hope you are not borred from al the questions?

Please let me know if I got it right (to avoid a crash )

Once again, many thanks.

Greetings from Holland,
Peter
Old 06-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes all is correct, I cant help with transmitter setup I use Futaba but others will help if you post the questions. Post as many questions as you need, that's what forums are for. We learn from each other and we all started knowing nothing about this hobby.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

But I must say that your help is a great help for me. Everything is working as it should now. If I tilt the helicopter, the swash moves to bring ik back. My 401 gyro is giving me a hard time, because the red light keeps on flashing (single flash) but everything works. No matter what I do it keeps flashing. (stupid thing) The settings are correct for normal and AVCS and they work correct. But I should have a steady red light in AVCS and no light in normal. Don't know if I should have it a go in this situation?
Old 06-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

You need help from somebody that uses Spektrum. My guess it that the gyro is being effected by channel 6. To check this disconnect the orange wire from channel 6 and see if it fixes the gyro problem.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:00 AM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

Problem solved. Reprogramming the gyro switch to 0 = normal and 1 = AVCS and replacing the gyro from FM under the main shaft, everything works fine. Lets hope it will all work at the field!
Going to be a hell of a job because I have to work on the tail gyro (the 401) and the gyro from FM for the main shaft.
Now if I put the power on, the tail gyro gives me a red light (rudder is in nutreal) and then the FM gyro kickes in to give me a green light that the swash plate is horizontel. (I hope)
Old 06-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Aileron and Elevator trim

While waiting for my 212's new ESC to arrive I installed a second FM on my old reliable TREX 450 SE. This morning I flew two batteries and got very good results after trimming aileron and elevator on the TX. It needed a five beeps to the left and 16 beeps to the front in order to make the heli hover hands-free. It also needed two beeps left on rudder to compensate a right-nose tendency.

How can I re-adjust the FM in order to eliminate the lots of trim specially forward elevator?

Carlos A. Cordova
UIO
a320jockey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

Adjust servo neutrals. For example if you needed 10 click forward elevator you know that the swash needs to tip forward so note the number you have in elevator neutral and then move thr slider and send to FM so you can watch the swash tip and learn which way the slider needs to go. When you have learned the direction the slider needs to go add or subtract the 10 from the original number. Hope that makes sence, if it does not just play with servo neutrals and you will work out what you need to do.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thanks and a couple of q's

First off, thanks Ivor for the very helpful setup info! I'm about to take my shiny new HK450GT for its first setup flight. I'm amazed at how the cost of getting into the air has dropped in the last few years!

I do have a couple of basic (read noob) questions which I haven't been able to answer via Mr. Google.

1) on my setup (single gyro only) the rate / hh mode transition point in helibal is 0% and not 25% as mentioned in th No one else seems to have raised this so not sure if mine is normal?
2) when I power up the heli in hh mode the tail rotor slider moves all the way to the right (looking from the rear). This appears to be normal as it instantly centers itself when switched to rate mode. Am I correct?
steelheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm afraid the first question makes no sence to me. You are correct with the second question, in HH mode the servo will travel to one end and centre in rate mode. This is normal.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the reply. I must have accidentally deleted part of the post before submitting it

What I meant to say was that (in my particular case) in order to put the gyro into rate mode I need to set the gain in helibal to 0. This is different to your setup instructions which specify 25 as the changeover point.

Will post when (if?) I get it into the air successfully!
Old 06-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #95 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry you are misunderstanding. Move the slider to the left hand side ( normal ) with a value of about 25. This will put you in normal mode with a low gain value and will set the servo midway.
With this setting the gyro will be doing little so the tail pitch will need to be set by sliding the servo along the boom or adjusting the legth of the rod to counteract the torque from the main blades at hover speed.
When you have done this switch to HH and set the best operating gain.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

Aaah - the penny drops!

My linear mind assumed that 25 meant 25 to the right (ie if to the left it should be -25). Many thanks for clearing that up.

Regards
Old 06-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #97 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did some flights last week, all the time in control of the heli. It is so much easier to fly than before, even considering that my TREX has always been a good flyer. I simply returned all expos on the TX to zero, all the calibrations are done on the FM programming card. Still have to tame a little tail wag, maybe change the original digital servo for a standard Futaba if it does not work. The ail-elev trim is not an issue on my case. I prefer to trim during flight and the FM does the rest.

Now I will complete my flight training on the TREX before moving to the Twin Huey which is waiting for its new ESC.

Happy (and safe) flying,

Carlos A. Cordova
QUITO - ECUADOR
a320jockey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 01:46 AM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

trying to sort out my tail wag as well
in rate mode its perfect but go to HH and the wag is slow but still there
firey11 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 04:14 AM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flymentor for new fliers

I have found this tool to be fantastic for confidence in learning to fly

Just finished building a hk450 for 14 yr old son and this is he 2nd fly with it
teaching him to fly in balance mode only and by the 4th battery had it dialed down to about 25 I run the the flymentor on a pot dial so can easily change setting for conditions
firey11 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 08:18 AM   #100 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wish I could have made a flymentor "How To" video but I already sold my only Flymentor'd Heli, so can't make any new videos on it.

But, here is a video I made explaining the settings and configuration on the Blade SR. This video was made to explain the item to the Buyer, but you might still find it useful especially if you are using Blade SR (in some places you can pause the video and see the screen settings).
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mddHx-UiUM[/ame]
On this setup, the Flymentor is "backwards" it thinks it is flying the Heli backwards this is because of the unusual orientation of the Blade SR swashplate (two servos in back, instead of two servo's in front like Trex 450 would have).

Here is an explanation of how it flies:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnGapa_p1K4[/ame]

Some question that's not answered in the video:
Yes Flymentor would work for inverted hovering, it is smart enough to recognize when you are flipping upside-down and will keep the heli stable in an inverted hover. In the video I turned it off just to show that it can be turned-off, but I could have flipped it inverted with Flymentor left-on just as well.
Copter64 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in