Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Blade 130X trex 450 comparison

Ok so I have a blade 130x and can hover and move the heli around fine as long as the tail is facing me but have noticed how much wind affects it and how touchy it is. I purchases a trex 450 knowing it was the next step and that I had the money to get it. Should i wait to fly it until I'm comfortable with the 130x not having to be behind it or will the 450 enable me to learn the different aspects without having the extreme sensitivity. I am used to nitro trucks so I decided to get a heli without looking into it too much and I went for a smaller one thinking it would be easier but I think I may have gotten my thinking in reverse. Any opinion will be appreciated. Thanks
jarredw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

To be honest, there's no right or wrong answer. The twitchyness is in the set up not the heli, although the wind will certainly affect the smaller one more.

If you are off the ground and can hold a hover then you're over a difficult bit. Can you travel forwards and backwards, side-to-side? Can you take off from one spot and land in another? Then go back again?

I think I'd get pretty solid at the tail in hover first.

Did you use training u/c in the first place? If so is it off now?

At some point you are just going to have to bite the bullet, put the training u/c back on, put the heli on the ground facing you and spool-up. Good luck!
wocka_wocka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

No I never used training gear. I can take off and move around in all directions and land in a different spot. I have been practicing flying forward and then pulling back on the stick and giving it throttle to quickly stop without starting to dip too low and have been doing this going backward as well. I just didn't know if the bigger heli would be sluggish to stick inputs due to its increased mass
Old 03-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe use the 130X for learning new moves *before* you attempt to do them on your 450.

The point being here that you still have a lot to learn.. hovering orientations and forward flight basics that are going to result in lots of crashes during the learning phase. The 130X will still be good for learning... try to fly over nice soft grass!

You'll break less and cheaper parts on the 130X than the 450, also you'll have more space to recover from mistakes if you are flying in a small area. If you have a giant field and great eyesight, then maybe it matters less, but after a few 450 crashes, I bet you'll wish it was the 130X.

Once you have a maneuver pretty solidly nailed with the 130X, then go and try it on the 450... with lots of space and altitude. It's not like you have to become a 3D master with the 130X before you touch the 450. By all means fly both, but save the 450 for stuff you can do well with the 130X.

I know what you are asking.... will the 450 be *much* easier to learn on that the 130X? I personally don't think so.

By the way, an RC simulator such as RealFlight or Phoenix is also a great investment at this time. Quickly pays for itself in saved crashes.

rojack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Being an impatient person I figured I'd teach myself but am gonna go get phoenix later today. Thanks for the replies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in