Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Maxing the weight limit on the Gaui Quad

I stuck the Sony NEX-5 on the Gaui quad. It maxed out the weight limit at 1070 grams. I am using the stock 16 mm f2.8 lens and a 3S 2500 mah pack. Video quality is pretty good though. My pack is not very good so internal resistance is pretty high. It is only using 1000 mah after 5 1/2 minutes.

I just ordered more packs to try. My 3300 mah packs will take the quad over the weight limit.

Here is the test video. Pretty boring since it is only shot in my backyard but you get the idea.

Yes I will re-aim the camera and point away from the orange ping pong ball when I am actually doing a formal shoot.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxU7cfvRmao[/ame]
SeismicCWave is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice sized back yard, can I come round and fly too? My 700 seems too large for the backyard at home.

Video looks all good.
stevenz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenz View Post
Nice sized back yard, can I come round and fly too? My 700 seems too large for the backyard at home.

Video looks all good.
Thank you. It is a bit too small for my planks. I can only fly helicopter there. I did lose quite a few airplanes back there.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What was the Gaui like to control with max weight?
I see the orange UFO stayed in the same place, so you probably have hard mounted the camera, if so then that is good video for such a small outdoor flying platform.
Weithy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2011, 12:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weithy View Post
What was the Gaui like to control with max weight?
I see the orange UFO stayed in the same place, so you probably have hard mounted the camera, if so then that is good video for such a small outdoor flying platform.
It is not that different. A tiny less stable because of the higher inertia. I do have some vibration isolators but nothing too wiggly. When the wind started to gust it started to slide a little more. Over all it is not bad. I was not as comfortable as with a large single rotor helicopter but it was adequate and convenient.

I plan to use this mostly in tight spaces and indoor.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice!

I was thinking of getting a nex5 on my Gaui 330 too. Are you happy with it? The video looks quite good for a CMOS.

I have set the orange ball on the bak side of the quad instead that on the front so it does not show on my photos. A bit odd at first, but I got used to it.

I sailed to Hilo from San Diego five years ago: Looking at your videos reminds me of good memories...!
Olivier06 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2011, 04:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

>>I was thinking of getting a nex5 on my Gaui 330 too. Are you happy with it? The video looks quite good for a CMOS.<<

Yes I am very happy with the setup for now. If I have to fly outdoor a lot I will eventually go to a bigger quad/hex/octo. For indoor use it is very adequate. I also like the video quality. It is a bit better than the GoPro. I also like the NEX-5 because the jello effect is pretty easy to control for a CMOS sensor camera. The video quality is almost as good as the Canon T2i but the camera is a lot lighter.

>>I have set the orange ball on the bak side of the quad instead that on the front so it does not show on my photos. A bit odd at first, but I got used to it.<<

I have a few thoughts about that. I can put it in the back as you suggested. I can also just use the white tube without the orange ball. Or I can put two pointers in front of the forward arms. I can also paint the two forward arms a different color.

>>I sailed to Hilo from San Diego five years ago: Looking at your videos reminds me of good memories...!<<

We had a draught last year and it was really a nice place without all that much rain.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the review of the nex5.

I was hesitating with the Lumix LX5, but the sensor size of the Nex5 and the load carrying capacity of the Gaui 330 makes me lean toward the Nex5.

I am using the 10 inch props, and though I have not tried to max the load with these, I bet I could lift quite a bit more. I find them quite efficient too.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

>>I was hesitating with the Lumix LX5<<

I had the LX3 and the video quality is also very good. However it weighs the same as the NEX-5.

>>but the sensor size of the Nex5 and the load carrying capacity of the Gaui 330 makes me lean toward the Nex5.<<

Exactly. You don't lose anything with the NEX-5 compare to the LX-5.

>>I am using the 10 inch props, and though I have not tried to max the load with these, I bet I could lift quite a bit more. I find them quite efficient too.<<

What is the pitch of your propellers? Did you change motor? ESC? Or you just changed propellers with the existing motors and ESC? What motors and ESC are you using.

I would like to get just a hair more payload from my 330X. I want a little bit of margin.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly with the central frame extension and the motor base plate extension.
My motors are the standard scorpion motors that come with the kit.
The ESC are the standard 10A ones that also come with the x-S version.
The propellers are the 10x4.5. Apparently I could even go with the 12x4.5
With that set up, I hover at about 1/4 throttle wth a Lumix FS7 (very light camera)

See the video:
http://330x-s.blogspot.com/

The extension kit makes the quad look quite a bit weaker, but I have crahed several times with it and the parts all came off/apart without anything breaking.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the link. That looks interesting. I just made another camera mount and reduced the overall weight by 50 grams. Now I am fairly comfortable with the quad and the NEX-5. I also ordered more battery pack so the performance should be better. It is doing really well in no wind condition.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am impressed the little Guai can carry such a large camera. I am also going to max the 330X payload but plan to use the Canon S95. Not sure how the video quality will compare but it is much lighter than the Sony. However, I will be using the Alware 225g camera mount for stabilization, so it will stress the motors as well - this also limits the size of the camera - that is probably why I am going in the S95 direction.
mbsteed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 02:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Sony NEX 5 is not all that heavy. It weighs in at 351 grams with the 16 mm f2.8 lens. I made a super light mount that weighs 34 grams. Right now I can fly it with a 3S 3,000 mah pack and the overall weight is only 1070 grams. I was at 1070 grams before with a heavier mount and a lighter 2,500 mah pack. I did a test in the front yard this morning and it is working well. Unfortunately there was a bit of gust and I couldn't hold it perfectly still to shoot a flower for a long duration.

Here is the link to the video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWzdAVD6S1U[/ame]
Old 01-25-2011, 02:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pictures of the camera mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nex 5 ply mount 800.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	203740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nex 5 ply mount 2 800.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	203741  
Old 01-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

PHP Code:
It weighs in at 351 grams with the 16 mm f2.8 lens 
Did you weigh it? I read a review where they said it weighs 502 grams with the 16 mm lens? 351 grams sounds super good!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier06 View Post
PHP Code:
It weighs in at 351 grams with the 16 mm f2.8 lens 
Did you weigh it? I read a review where they said it weighs 502 grams with the 16 mm lens? 351 grams sounds super good!
Yes I did.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nex5 - 287g - not sure what lens this includes.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec.../sony_nex5.asp
mbsteed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 10:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsteed View Post
Nex5 - 287g - not sure what lens this includes.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec.../sony_nex5.asp
Probably no lens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in