Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Heads and Rotor Blades

Heads and Rotor Blades Heads and Rotor Blades Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 05:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default weighted blades needed if using a fbl system

sitting here looking at scale rotor blades for my new 450 sized bo-105 build and dont know if i need the weighted or unweighted blades...i plan on using the microbeast fbl unit and didnt know if weighted blades are neeeded in conjunction w/ a fbl unit...

edit: after doing some resaerch seems the scale blades dont work so well with the FBL units, so i may just go with the 4 blade head and weighted blades to make things nice and stable and forget the fbl unit..on the other hand im looking at the heliartist carbon scale blades which look to be half the weight and way more rigid than the SM/rc aerodyne type ones...hmmm decision's decision's

Last edited by Blade~400~er; 01-23-2011 at 06:29 AM..
Blade~400~er is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 06:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like you are on the right path. On the 450's, I tried some SM scalers (3) with a SK360 (unweighted). Not enough response out of them due to weight/authority which confused the SK360. I have some HA CF scale blades on a 4 blader, also with a SK360. That works fairly well due to the amazingly light weight of the blades, as well as a probably much better aerodynamic profile of the blades. Only thing is the HS needs to come up a couple hundred rpm more than I'd normally run with standard blades due to the narrow nature of the blades, but the rotor disk does respond well enough due to the lighter rotating mass.
SidewaysLS4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 06:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey, you are doing a BO-105, eh? IIRC that tail boom is not cut down for the elevated tail unit, making this model a long one. Maybe some 360mm blades? The 360mm CF G5 blades over at Helidirect are 350mm hole-tip
Old 01-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here go,s aerodyne weighted blades Hobbyking head [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=airp6_t_VB0[/ame]
Old 01-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner469 View Post
Here go,s aerodyne weighted blades Hobbyking head http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=airp6_t_VB0
ok i know they work fine just hovering around...however i really want to see how they preform in all flight modes..i.e. fward flight, fast foward flight, circuts..etc...the scale blades are going to react very differently when you start to induce lift created by FF and i want to see how the model reacts without e stab.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4 View Post
Hey, you are doing a BO-105, eh? IIRC that tail boom is not cut down for the elevated tail unit, making this model a long one. Maybe some 360mm blades? The 360mm CF G5 blades over at Helidirect are 350mm hole-tip
yea tell me about it, the fuse is so long that the battery no longer sits on the slant tray on the frame but rather up front strapped down to hte the fuse its-self....im going to have to take the esc off the frame and remount it somewhre elese in order to get the connectors to reach....

ill look into those blades you mentioned though, my only concern with longer blades on a multi head is the rise in torqe...dont plan on using a multiblade tail with this build as the full size deal im copying only runs a two blade tail and am concerned about tail performance with such a large fuse...however with the raised tail im wondering if ill get any tail power back vs. a low tail like on my MD500 model?
Old 01-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good point, more drag with those long ones (but more lift needing less pitch also). Are you going to re-gear the tail ratio? The tail might have more leverage being further out too...cant say for sure though
Old 01-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade~400~er View Post
ok i know they work fine just hovering around...however i really want to see how they preform in all flight modes..i.e. fward flight, fast foward flight, circuts..etc...the scale blades are going to react very differently when you start to induce lift created by FF and i want to see how the model reacts without e stab.
Here'ya go:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkwQK0iht08[/ame]

Trex 450 SE V2 mechanics
Scorpion -10 Motor w/12T Pinion on 3S 2200 LiPo.
TF Model Weight Tipped Rotor Blades
LightningHeli 4 Blade Rotor Head
GY401 Gyro
Sullivan Precision Rod for rudder control
Align DS510, mounted on forward deck, for rudder control
Align 450 Pro Tail Rotor Blades

It fly's pretty well, 0 wind to a slight breeze.
It does however require a great deal more compensation for helicopter flight characteristics.
I find that it required a full linear pitch curve 0-inh-50-inh-100.
Normally, I use a 46-48-56-inh-100 Pitch Curve on my Flybarred scale models.

I would recommend the rigid, CF HeliArtist scale blades and a e-stab system, if you want to fly it regardless of wind conditions.

I think you're correct that the 360 mm blades will be heavy and induce more torque.
Which may require going to a 4 blade tail rotor.
BlackTitanium is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

I just ordered some 463mm blades for my 500-size BO-105. Still running FB'ed, though - so can't comment on the scale blades. I think the longer blades will allow me to lower the HS slightly. I can run it at 2050, though the tail gets real mushy. No wobble at all at that HS, though.

I'm currently running it without the stabilizers mounted on the boom and it wants to nose up real bad in FF. It's even just a tad nose heavy and still wants to pop up.

I really don't think you need to mess around with your tail. It has more authority just by the nature of the design - longer boom and the tail rotor is level with disk. I'm running mine on the lowest possible gain setting with a GY401 and it holds real solid. You may find you need longer tail blades if you get excess amount of torque from the head, but that would be the extent of what I would do with it.

As far as FBL blades, I would just make sure they hang straight down when hung from the mounting hole. Any lean (fore or aft) will not be suitable for FBL use.
heli-on is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

THANX BT for making it clear to Blade~400~er you da man
Old 01-25-2011, 12:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTitanium View Post
Here'ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkwQK0iht08

Trex 450 SE V2 mechanics
Scorpion -10 Motor w/12T Pinion on 3S 2200 LiPo.
TF Model Weight Tipped Rotor Blades
LightningHeli 4 Blade Rotor Head
GY401 Gyro
Sullivan Precision Rod for rudder control
Align DS510, mounted on forward deck, for rudder control
Align 450 Pro Tail Rotor Blades

It fly's pretty well, 0 wind to a slight breeze.
It does however require a great deal more compensation for helicopter flight characteristics.
I find that it required a full linear pitch curve 0-inh-50-inh-100.
Normally, I use a 46-48-56-inh-100 Pitch Curve on my Flybarred scale models.

I would recommend the rigid, CF HeliArtist scale blades and a e-stab system, if you want to fly it regardless of wind conditions.

I think you're correct that the 360 mm blades will be heavy and induce more torque.
Which may require going to a 4 blade tail rotor.
aweseom man, thanks for the detailed reply...exactly what i needed. i deff wont be flying this baby in any real wind as im pulling out all the stops on this one i think i may end up trying both but i dont want to spend the money on a fbl unit just yet if i can handle it without one, im also slightly more partial to the look the rc aerodyne blade gives the heli, have that classisc scale droop. finally the aerodyne blades can be bought in the states and are dirt cheap compared to the heli-artist blades which i have only been able to find in HK. however after watching the vid i can see the nasty tendencies that go along with the scale flexible blades and prob will end up with a fully rigid head sooo, if the aerodyne blades dont work out i wont feel as if ive wasted alot of cash on something that wasnt needed, then again i might as well do it right the first time eh?. again thanks for the info, btw love your work, used your 500d thread to build my 500d

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in