Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters

600 Class Electric Helicopters 600 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
pos
Registered Users

Default Stretch 600 to 700, cut boom

Hi

I am going to stretch my 600 to a 700 or 650 if it sounds better... I have all the parts and will start with it tomorrow.

However...
People say the 700 boom should be shortened 4 centimeters. But if I compare the TT on T-rex 600 and T-rex 700, the 700 is 12.5 centimeters longer. If I compare the boom between the 600 and 700 the diff is 16 centimeters. 12.5 compared to 16 is a diff if 3.5 centimeters.

3.5 is not equal to 4

So why cut 4 centimeters and not 3.5 ??

Input appreciated

/P-O
pos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

40 MM cut on the boom corrects the length when you use the longer 600 Boom block
nightflyr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 04:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
pos
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

????

I have a T-rex 600 boom block, TT and boom and will replace just the TT and boom to the 700 size. Tail case and boom block is the same (i.e 600 ESP std plastic boom block).

cut 35 mm or 40 mm ?
(I assume 35 as this is what differs between the used and new parts)

?????

/P-O
Old 01-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been running this configuration for over a year. It make a grat low weigh chopper. I cut 1 -15/ 16" off the back with a tubing cutter. It rolls the tube in a little, but I use the other end to insrt thr TT. Take left over part and slit lengthwise -- to make a tool tp locate the hole in the boom fot the 700 tail assy.

I fly with 690 FBL blades and a 10S 3800 TP45C battery= goves me 6.5 min of constant fun. I use a Kontronus speed control and a yro 700-52 motor with a mod 1.0 11 tooth pinion. What a quick and responsive machine. All up RTF 7 3/4 lbs.

I switched to real bearings (SKF) from motion industries

Attached photo was taken last summer at lake Powell, AZ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010689.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	204596  
gerryg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
pos
Registered Users

"I cut 1 -15/ 16"" ?????
1 inch plus 15/16 inch or what?

Btw
SKF stands for "Svenska Kullager Fabriken" (means Swedish bearing factory). Probably sold by Motion Industries... So the SKF is Swedish quality bearings

PS
The frame on the picture is not a rex. But the boom is align. What did you build?

/P-O
Old 01-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos View Post
????

I have a T-rex 600 boom block, TT and boom and will replace just the TT and boom to the 700 size. Tail case and boom block is the same (i.e 600 ESP std plastic boom block).

cut 35 mm or 40 mm ?
(I assume 35 as this is what differs between the used and new parts)

?????

/P-O
The stock 700 boom block is shorter than the stock 600 which you will use.
In order to have the correct length boom you need to shorten the 700 boom by 40MM so that the torque tube can engage the tail correctly
Old 01-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes the cut is 1" plus 15/16" -- 1 tic less than 2" -- standard arch. notation in the industry. -- I cut my own frames to save wight and raise the cg. -- the servos are direct acting. All of the main rotor rotating parts are 600E -- the boom and tail are 700. The motor mount I had water jet cut for 30mm spacing on kontroniks pyro 700-52/ The bearing blocks and boom clamp are 600N to get enough width for the servos and motor. Head is RJX FBL( though I recently have changed to align FBL grips and an outrage tee) - I use a mini Vbar (blue case) upgraded to 5 pro -- VERY nice V-Bar -- very stable

It has a Fusuno 600N canopy -- JR 8717 cyclic servos, BLS 251 Tail servo, Jive 80 controller, 10S 3800 TP 45C packs I get 6.5 min fling times since the machine is so light. It is quick though and tracks so good, it feels like it is a part of your body
Old 01-30-2011, 03:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
pos
Registered Users

Hi "gerryg"

1" + 15/16" = 49.2 mm. Most people say 40 mm but you say the boom should be cut 49.2 mm ????. 1" + 9/16" = 39.69 mm (approx 40 mm) which should be in line with what most people say.

I started this thread and asked why you should cut 40 mm as everybody say instead of 35 mm which is the boom to TT diff when I measure spare parts. I will today rip my 600 apart and start the rebuild to a T-rex 650. My guess is that if I use my dremel on the slits in the 700 boom it will go deeper into the boom block (and also fit the lock screw hole) and I should cut 35 mm (as the TT to boom diff says) instead of 40 mm. Right? If I do not extend the slits in the boom and drill a new hole for the lock screw I will cut 40 mm as the boom will not go all the way into the boom block. Can anyone confirm this?

/P-O
Old 01-30-2011, 08:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is much easier to cut off the rear of the boom -- a simple tubing cutter. The front has a ridge inside the boom clamp that matches the slot depth. As to lenght -- I have probably done 15-30 booms in the past year -- no problems

How to check - measure how much TT sticks our of your boom 00 make the 700 boom the same
Old 01-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
pos
Registered Users

I was not going to cut the front.... I will of course cut the rear. The question in this thread is how much. When it comes to the front of the boom I was talking about making the slits in the boom longer so it will go longer into the boom case (and therefor cut less that 40 mm and instead 35 mm). If I do that I hope to be able to use the pre drilled whole for the locking screw.

I think of cutting 35 mm (and make the slits longer so the boom will go in longer into the boom case)

Cutting lenght:
>I think of 35 mm (backed up by my measurement)
> Most people on the forum say cut 40 mm.
> YOU say 49 mm

But why do you cut 49 mm ? How did you measure to a total different length than everybody else on the forum ?

/P-O
Old 01-31-2011, 02:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The cut length is 40MM...

Old 02-01-2011, 06:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I stretched my 60ESP I cut off 40mm of the 700 boom and it ended up being too much. I would suggest cutting 35mm off and taking more off if necessary.
midnight is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
pos
Registered Users

I agree with midnight

40 mm i to much or to little, but obviously not correct. I have now stretched my tail and share my info...

When I took of the tail case from the 600, the TT came out 27 mm out of the boom. This must of course be correct even after the stretch. Then I replaced the std TT and boom from the 600 against the 700 TT and boom. And now the TT can be seen 20 mm into the boom. To have it came out 27 mm the boom must be cut 27 + 20 = 47 mm. For people that don't want to mod the boom and just cut it, 47 mm would be more accurate than 40 mm.

However...

As the 700 slot in the boom is grounder, the 700 boom wont go all the way into the boom block.

Because how the boom block is designed I wanted it to go all the way in...

Therefor I modified the boom with a dremel. It took 2 min.

After the modification the boom now goes all the way in to the boom block. A new measure shows that the TT can now be found 7,3 mm in to the boom. As we already know it should come out 27 mm, the cut must be 27 + 7,3 = 34,3 mm.
(This is very near my earlier measure when I just compared the TT:s and booms between 600 and 700. The TT had a diff of 125 mm and the booms 160 mm. 160 - 125 = 35 mm)
So I did the cut at approx 34 mm. I actually did it 1 mm less to be 100% sure that the TT will not be to long and bind.

Hope this could help anyone.

/P-O
Old 02-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not quite sure how a base measurement can be too much or too little???

But I have flying proof it works and has been for quite some time.

perhaps in the way your attaching your tail casings.....I do not know..

And there are others who have used the same cut with out issue.

If you research the 600 forum back a bout a year you find several stretch builds ..

But do as you see fit

I know this length works and replicated the same to stretch 800's so I must be doing something correct..

Old 02-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
pos
Registered Users

> Not quite sure how a base measurement can be too much or too little???
40 mm cut is to little if you do not make the boom go all the way in
40 is to much to much if you make the boom go all the way in

Maybe 40 mm works but it could be on the limit of working at all.

It would be nice to have real measurement ( as I have done in this post) from people using 40 mm

My boom cut is based on fact... I have not seen any post suggesting 40 mm that also posted the measure fact.

(b t w, cool camera mount)

Regards
/P-O
Old 02-14-2011, 02:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What is the reason for streching the boom?
Daddydeathdealer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 04:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You stretch the boom in order to move the tail section further back so that longer blades can be used
Old 02-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

ah thanks!
Daddydeathdealer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 07:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

POS

Thanks for posting this, my measurements tallied with yours exactly, 34.5mm cut, or 33.5mm for safety, and I am much more comfortable having the boom fully seated in the boom block. (an extra 13mm in for those that didn't read the whole thread)
Heli_n_Back is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli_n_Back View Post
POS

Thanks for posting this, my measurements tallied with yours exactly, 34.5mm cut, or 33.5mm for safety, and I am much more comfortable having the boom fully seated in the boom block. (an extra 13mm in for those that didn't read the whole thread)
Right. App. 34 mm is the best.
Trex 600 Gasser FBL | HeliXHeli conv. | OS GT15HZ | iKon | Homemade onboard generator
Azalin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
600, build, cut boom, problem, stretch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in