Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 200

Hurricane 200 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Cool OCFly's Gaui 200 build videos (helping a fellow freak)

SO HF user OCFly got ahold of me to see if I could help him get his Gaui 200 in the air, and a gladly offered to help him. What has transpired is a set of build videos I decided to do for him and to document the progress of his build. he sent me the heli, electronics and some spares. I received it on Feb 10 and commenced to build it for him. this thread will document from opening the box to maiden flight. there are some tips and tricks that I use along the way. let me know what you think and I may do more of these videos as it was a fun project.

OCFly's bird:

Gaui 200 v2 Flybarred
AR6200
HS-65HB's on cyclic
JR DS290G on tail
Spartan Quark
Gaui 5600Kv motor, and 18A speed controller.
nexgen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default OCFly's G200 Whats in the Box

Old 02-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default OCFly's G200 motor-esc-drivetrain

Old 02-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default OCFly's G200 Servos1

Old 02-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default OCFly's G200 Servos2 elevator servo spacer

the ball and spacer I used on the servo comes from these two parts bags, Id say that if you have spares laying around from a previous repair then you may have the spacer, and maybe even the ball laying around in a parts bin somewhere. actually the ball can be had from a tail control rod pack if you have an alu one laying around, it was the ball that serves as the guide for the rod. Something I learned quickly is that if it looks somewhat viable DONT throw it out, you never know when you may need it later on, hehe. anyway here are the parts youd need. for the spacer in the servo horn, that was from a notched bearing, either in the head, the ones for the tiny grip mixer arms, or the tail grips ( I cant remember off hand). I just took the bearing apart and kept the inner and outer races (I actually have a few of them accumulated over time. really any washer that will fit in there and allow the servo arm screw to go in there will do just fine.

HURRICANE 200 WASHER PACK, W1.4 X 2.5 X 0.4
G-883811
$2.95

HURRICANE 200 BALL WITHOUT STAND(3.5MM)X10PCS
G-883505
$2.95

Last edited by nexgen; 02-14-2011 at 09:55 AM..
Old 02-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default OCFly's G200 Servos3 servos installed

Old 02-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default OCFly's G200 Servos4 placement discussion

Old 02-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default OCFly's G200 rx and Gyro

Old 02-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default OCFly's G200 Head Setup

Old 02-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default OCFly's G200 Maiden

And last but not least, the maiden voyage. the heli flys great, is nice and smooth, even with the notorious 5600kv motor, hehe. it has the short flybar and big weights on it so it flys really tame. I also didnt program any expo in so it is a little active around center stick, which is to be expected, OCFly, you may want to dial in some expo on the cyclic to smooth it out if you want. I also took a couple snaps with my cell here at work.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

After spending hours doing research under the Gaui 200 forums and hours rebuilding my Gaui 200, I just couldn't get it off the ground. While reading the forums, I always took note of Nexgen's post and the value Rob's provided in his post. After all my frustration, I took a stab and reached out to Rob to see if he would be interested in helping me with my build. Kind enough Rob said yes and the results are in this post. I am extremely excited to get it her back and back in the air.

Rob, thanks again..Looking forward to the next project!

***Even if it's a hobby...Before you go to Nexgen and ask for a build (because I know I would if I saw a post like this)..IMHO...I don't think anyone's experience, time or service should go uncompensated for.****

Last edited by OCFly; 02-14-2011 at 12:50 PM..
OCFly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great build thread and videos!

Question on the servos-- on Finless Bob's build videos he uses the outermost links on all 3 cyclic servos to work around the servo shoulder, which results in a little bit of neg. angle when at 90, but his comment was that since all 3 were set up that way, it will work fine.

Wanted to check how that compares to this servo install where the elevator servo uses a washer and new ball to achieve the clearance.

Any strong preference on either method? I'm inclined to try Finless's setup first as I don't have these washers or new balls...

Thanks,
Chief
BHChieftain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I personally am a fan of clean link geometry, and that mod is one that has worked very well for me. Plus since the ball isnt as far out on the horn, you can retain a bit of torque and resolution. Since this bird is inherently unstable (to a point) because of its agility, I like to have as much accuracy as I can get. Plus it really helps when you go flybarrless on this bird as just like any bird, resolution is key.

Finless method will work, I just prefer the method I showed here (its not my mod btw, learned it right here on hf) that's the beauty of this hobby, there's always more than one way to skin a cat.

Rooted MT3G + Cyanogen Mod 6.1 + Tapatalk = WIN
Old 02-13-2011, 11:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great build vids! I really appreciate the time you took to do these. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 200, it will be my 1st ccpm bird. FES DS09scd cyclic ds11gmd tail, & mini vbar. I have watched numerous setup videos, so i feel i can build the bird fine, my question is will the flybarless head be too much for me to handle? like i said only fixed pitch for me, i can hover in all orientations and & do reasonably smooth figure 8s on my VD120D01.
jnims29 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 12:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gotcha. Can you clarify which parts are needed for this mod? IE, what size/type ball, what washer sizes, etc. Links to a source would be nifty too!

Also, would another solution be to file down the servo shoulder to enable the clearance? Not sure if the case structure would allow for that...

Chief
Old 02-14-2011, 01:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Jinims, if you set it up well, then you can make a vbarred Gaui 200 fly suuuuper stable, and have no trouble from it, just gotta take your time going through all the setups.

CP + micro + flybarrless with an unfamiliar (to you) fbl controller is alot to swallow all at once. my suggestion is that if you are going to get all the stuff anyway, then set it up flybarred first, so you can get acquainted with CP and its differences from what you are used to. let the vbar sit on your shelf for a little bit until you are comfortable with your bird (flying, repairing, setup, etc), because then it will all start to make sense to you and your thumbs, hehe. when you are ready, toss the flybarrless head and the vbar in the mixz and go to town.

Chief, the ball and spacer I used on the servo comes from these two parts bags, Id say that if you have spares laying around from a previous repair then you may have the spacer, and maybe even the ball laying around in a parts bin somewhere. actually the ball can be had from a tail control rod pack if you have an alu one laying around, it was the ball that serves as the guide for the rod. Something I learned quickly is that if it looks somewhat viable DONT throw it out, you never know when you may need it later on, hehe. anyway here are the parts youd need. for the spacer in the servo horn, that was from a notched bearing, either in the head, the ones for the tiny grip mixer arms, or the tail grips ( I cant remember off hand). I just took the bearing apart and kept the inner and outer races (I actually have a few of them accumulated over time. really any washer that will fit in there and allow the servo arm screw to go in there will do just fine.

HURRICANE 200 WASHER PACK, W1.4 X 2.5 X 0.4
G-883811
$2.95

HURRICANE 200 BALL WITHOUT STAND(3.5MM)X10PCS
G-883505
$2.95

EDIT, I put the above info in the post about the elevator servo mod on pg 1. this should make it easier for the next guy.

Last edited by nexgen; 02-14-2011 at 09:55 AM..
Old 02-14-2011, 03:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Mission Accomplished

OCFly, I have your Gaui 200 all packed up and ready to ship. I can drop it off today on lunch and you should receive it on Tuesday. I told you I would share the settings from my 9303, I didn't have to really change too much so I'll just list the changes, everything else is at the defaults.

in model setup, I just set to 3 servos, didn't change anything else.

in heli setup here is what I changed, I will list all the options I changed in the order they show up in the 9303 menu, which I believe is the same as your 9503. If its not listed here, i did not set it up, or change from the defaults.

REV. SW - I reversed RUD, and CH6, everything else is normal
TRAVL ADJ - I only changed RUDD to 120 for L and R. this sets the piro rate, I left it kinda tame, you can adjust to your liking. I also set GEAR to +25% and -22%, gyro gain is controlled here, switched from HH to rate with the gear switch on the radio. Up is HH, down is rate.
Swash Mix - AILE=65%, ELEV=65%, and PIT=60%
THRO Hold - I turned this on, using the hold switch (upper right switch). the hold position is the default -5.0%
THRO CURV - Norm is 0,60,80 ST-1 is 85,85,85 ST-2 is 95,90,95
PIT. CURV - all pitches are set at the defaults 0,50,100
TIMER - I set it at 3:30, but had room left in the packs. you may want to play with this to find out what works best for you.

the ESC is already programmed, but you may want to calibrate the throttle to your radio

Let me know when you get it and how you like it. It should be as simple as bind and fly for you then. what I did when I bound was set the pitch in normal to 50,50,50 that way when I bound with the throttle stick all the way down, the servos would default to 0º pitch and 0 throttle if the radio lost signal.

As always, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

-Rob
Old 02-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

hey Rob..

Great job on those videos man.. your a credit to the community. i hope we will see more of these int he future from you.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nexgen for president!!!!

Great job

Ciao,
Egidio
Old 02-15-2011, 12:06 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnims29 View Post
Great build vids! I really appreciate the time you took to do these. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 200, it will be my 1st ccpm bird. FES DS09scd cyclic ds11gmd tail, & mini vbar. I have watched numerous setup videos, so i feel i can build the bird fine, my question is will the flybarless head be too much for me to handle? like i said only fixed pitch for me, i can hover in all orientations and & do reasonably smooth figure 8s on my VD120D01.

Check out my thread "newbie config for gaui 200", since you sound a lot like me... after processing all of the advice, I settled on a v2 flybar version and plan to learn clean setup. Plus it's cheaper. Can add FES later...

I received the heli but am still collecting stuff so have not started the build just yet.

Chief

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in