Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default First flight and some musings

Hiya All!!

I am now a somewhat qualified Noob CP Heli pilot. I had my very first flight yesterday. The almost obligatory OMG I don't WANT TO BREAK MUST PUT IT DOWN QUICK!! flight of 10 seconds followed closely by the I CAN'T BELIVE IT'S FLYING OMG the WIND TOOK IT PUT IT DOWN QUICK CUZ I DON'T WANT TO BREAK IT second flight of 1 minute 30 seconds. I tried to video tape both and was in front of the camera for both attempts

This morning it was a LOT less windy so I actually took it out and flew it rather than just trying not to crash it. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt71bIn0E9M[/ame] This was my first battery (The first time I actually really tried CP) 18 wonderfull minutes in the air (3 batteries) and I still had pleanty of juice in my batteries (Didn't want to push my luck) I see by the video I have a depth perception problem that I need to work on (It was walking away from me a lot more/farther than I thought)

This is my first REAL attempt at flying a CP helicopter. I started at Christmas with an Airhogs Hawkeye and moved to a 120SR and an MSR then found this wonderfull site and decided to get a 450. Shortly there after I changed my mind and got the 500 that I currently own.

I have read almost every post on here dealing with what to expect on your first flight, what to do to prepare for it etc etc.

There was a lot of good advice here. I figure I will give my point of view as a total noobie.

The SIM saves you money and heart ache (IF YOU USE IT CORRECTLY) I practiced hovering in the sim until I had it comitted to muscle memory. Practiced it with the 500 with no wind and in wind up to 25MPH. Then went thru and practiced it in the 450 for the same. Made the sim more difficult than the actuall Heli. Use the sim as a TOOL not as a toy. Get the basics down in the sim and you will be thanking Mr Pheonix or RF (Or whatever brand you have) on that first flight.

That said

The Sim doesn't give you the feeling of Mass that the real thing does (It's a VERY good tool but not perfect) It just seemed to me that I could tell the heli was heavy as opposed to when I was in the sim. The sim made it possiable for me to hover right from the start BUT nothing is quite like the real thing.

If it's at all possiable get an experianced person to help you out (One is still helping me out right now trying to diagnose a V-Bar/Spektrum issue).

If your in the field and it just doesn't FEEL right then don't try to take off (It's not worth it) wait until everything feels right before taking off (I killed the throttle three times on my third flight because the controller seemed awkward in my hands. The 4th time I got it up and was fine) I am almost positive this saved me from a crash (It turned out my tail fin was hung up on a clump of grass making the Heli act wierd) after moving it a couple of times it was fine.

I will keep updating as I gain experiance (I am sticking to a plan of ~2 hours of just hovering the heli in the air before trying other things)

Edit: Could a mod look at this post and figure out why it posted the youtube link twice?? Nevermind I figured it out (Don't use both the Youtube quotes and the youtube link at the same time)
Logo XXtreme, Kosmik, Pyro 800-48L Futaba 157s/256. Henseleit TDR, Pyro 700-52, 120 Jive, V-Bar 5.3, BLS253/251. Logo 600SE, Scorp 5020-450KV, 120 Helijive, Futaba 451s/251. Logo 400, Align 510MGs, JR 8900G, Kontronik Jive 80+ LV,Mini Pyro 400-14,

Last edited by jtjohn1; 02-28-2011 at 08:44 AM..
jtjohn1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congrats John. Looks nice and stable. Where are you flying ? I am over in Woodbine.
woodbine-rc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I live in Sykesville and this is at a Baseball park near my house (Takes me all of 2 minutes to get there)

I figure this is ideal for hovering training (I make DANG sure there isn't anybody else around) then I can fly it at CCCs sports fields (I work there and have permission) for transitioning to forward flight.

Something I forgot to put in.

Treat these big Heli's as weapons (If you have any experiance with weapons)

Throttle hold is your Saftey. DO NOT take it off Throttle hold unless your actually ready to fly (Except when doing bench tests then be DANG carefull)

The battery is your Ammo. Don't hook the battery up unless your on the range, the range is clear and your getting ready to fly (Always check to make sure your throttle hold is on when you hook your battery up).
Logo XXtreme, Kosmik, Pyro 800-48L Futaba 157s/256. Henseleit TDR, Pyro 700-52, 120 Jive, V-Bar 5.3, BLS253/251. Logo 600SE, Scorp 5020-450KV, 120 Helijive, Futaba 451s/251. Logo 400, Align 510MGs, JR 8900G, Kontronik Jive 80+ LV,Mini Pyro 400-14,
jtjohn1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Congrats man! As a fellow "almost in sykesville guy".. Looks like you did your vigilance with the sim because your hovering looks great! I did a good bit of flying with my 500 today.. Fantastic day for it!
Geardaddy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in