Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Oh oh... rudder event at the field (DX8)

OK... took off and the heli spun like I had a lot of trim in. Landed.. and for the next 10 minutes my rudder channel was off to -20... and it would go back to 0 then back to -15... flicker around like that. First thought... BAD POT

But.. after messing with it and moving the stick all around.. rebooting a few times.. it cleared... and the rest of the flights were perfect. So was simming tonigh.

Is this the famous pot issue? If I have the bad pot.. will it be intermittent like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It was a very nice day here in Minnesnowta i was wondering if you'd be at the field. I'm glad you got what ever the issue was worked out and did some flying!.

p.s. dont mean to Hijack your new thread but I have some ?'s so I PM'd you.
Newman12 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

No problem! sorry i didn't respond yet.. shortly. yeah it was very snowy.. but very sunny.. so actually was really fun. But my rudder issue worries me. Not sure it was a random event.. or am I going to see this again.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
will it be intermittent like that?
My view is, yes. I had the same experience with 8-12% variations in rudder centering. My DX8 has been back for repair twice, and replaced once. Now in for the next try.

If I had your radio, I would not fly it again and would send back.

other threads:
boltor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltor View Post
My view is, yes. I had the same experience with 8-12% variations in rudder centering. My DX8 has been back for repair twice, and replaced once. Now in for the next try.

If I had your radio, I would not fly it again and would send back.

other threads:
My experience is similar. Mine started by being significantly off. On the first incident, I landed, turned everything off and on again, and it was fine the rest of the day.

I started checking the monitor screen before flying. It would be off, I'd fiddle with it, it would clear up, I'd go ahead and fly with no problems.

Finally, the first of this week, it started staying 7-8% off. It's now on its way back from Horizon -- I hope they fixed it the FIRST time for me!

--Al Evans
Old 03-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bah! Yeah... looks like I am glad I kept my DX7... I might have to use that for a few weeks. Better now than summer... for me in MN anyway. Thanks.

Should I just keep using it until the problem persists? It isn't showing it now.. and I don't want them to say 'nothings wrong'!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

mine was sent back to retailer just 2 days ago for the same flicking on rudder but mine was 1-3% on sim, never flown with my 550. and the centering of the rudder and ail is not zero... its fluctuating from 1-3 also... its the DSM2 unit. He'll be changing it to a new one since its only 3 days with me. but the stock will arrive next week. does this happen to new 8's with the x on the right side of screen? if it does, ill better opt to get the older 7.
khymlawrence is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
It isn't showing it now.. and I don't want them to say 'nothings wrong'!
My test is simple - if on the monitor screen both the rudder and aileron channels are showing 0% and always return to 0% when you move the stick either way, then you are ok. If not 0%, then not ok (and return).
Old 03-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by khymlawrence View Post
its fluctuating
This is the reason it is a real problem for FBL flyers. If, for example, it was constantly 1% (and always 1%) then I bet that the FBL units would compensate for it. Its the random fluctuations that are the problem, especially on the rudder channel.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It is interesting that they don't even acknowledge this issue on their website. It must a real issue.. since I've heard a lot about it even before I even had my rudder problem yesterday. Are they honoring requests for new pots?
Old 03-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just started a poll to see what the general experience with rudder centering has been. See https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=286856
Old 03-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Is this problem unique to the DSM2 version of the DX8, or is it also prone to occur on the DSMX version? I was ready to pull the trigger on a new DX8 when they arrive at my LHS next week, but now am thinking that I should just stay with my DX6i until this problem is resolved.
Futaba 14SG / AMA# 959345 / IRCHA #3954
aramb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am pretty sure all new radios bought today are fine. Mine was from a black friday sale. So a while back.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Are they honoring requests for new pots?
I called; had to give them my number for a callback. They called back, I described the problem, they sent me an email with a link to a UPS label to use in sending it in. I filled out a service request online, printed out my copy, and had UPS pick it up the same evening.

According to tracking information, I should have it back exactly a week after I sent it in.

Horizon tends to give good service.

--Al Evans
Old 03-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It happened at the field again today. Dang.. I need to send it in. I'll call Horizon tomorrow. It's intermittent enough that i can still fly it. Seems worse when the radio gets cold.. it was 30F or so today. And when I flick the stick around enough it goes away.

A slow tail drift doesn't bother me much... if it a cyclic pot it would be worse.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Happened again today. I think the cold makes it worse since it never happens on the sim.. yet to day it was fluttering between -6 and -20... tail yawing the entire flight. So frustrating.

It's in the freezer right now... so I can test it to see if it is the cold that aggravates the issue..

So I am sending it in.

Do I just call their toll free number or what?
Old 03-16-2011, 08:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Guys

I have exactly the same issue too, spoke to horizon in the uk. Very helpful and gave me some really good news ! NOT!

Ok there is an issue with these DX8 pots. The DX8 is not made by JR like the DX7 series was and unfortunately the quality of the internals (i.e Pots and PCB) are not that good. They are cheap carbon film pots and the normal returns policy is to just swap them out like for like.

So horizon get spares that are just that ....the same spares. Its not an upgrade or anything ( you would have thought they would have upgraded the pots to a nice metal film or higher quality pot).

My heli survived - it did a 90 deg piro on me after the DX8 on the rudder failed it started of with just the rudder a tiny of bit of drift at 3-8% off centre. Then went and put in about 10-15% which did the deed.

Then i noticed the Cyclic also had odd things happening 2-3% variation too.

The guy at Horizon agreed with me and we both agreed that i would be better of buying a new DSX9 for reliability - so that's what i have just done.

He also told me that the DX7 was a superb reliable and basic TX with little or no returns. (again made by JR).

So lets see how we get on with DSX9 MK2 ?.
izzybunrabbit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 03:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Who made the DX6i?

JR I hopr
pgleesonuk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The rudder pot issue has happened 4 different outings now... grounds me for an hour or so.. then it's better.. but I can NEVER reproduce it at home.

If they get the radio and cannot reproduce it on the bench.. and they just going to send it back without replacing the pot?

Frustrating. I wish it would just go out and stay out.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Slyster - that's interesting, and I had similar. I wonder if there are environmental factors at play? heat / cold?

Check out this thread https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=53 for a DIY approach to attempt to fix. not sure if it is a long term approach.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in