Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

View Poll Results: What values have you seen on rudder channel centering on your DX8? ("monitor" screen)
Always 0% 26 49.06%
Generally 1-2% 15 28.30%
Sometimes 3-5% 1 1.89%
Variable, sometimes greater than 5% 11 20.75%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exclamation DX8 | Rudder Channel Centering Poll

I am keen to understand more about rudder channel centering on the DX8. I have been having issues with this, and want to see how widespread this is.

The poll above is about the % variation that DX8 owners are seeing. You can find the centering values on the "monitor" screen.

Please also post about any large variations you may have had in flight or in testing. I have seen up to a 12% variation in the rudder channel centering (which tends to be an issue with a FBL system).

thoughts on experiences appreciated.

From the Dx8 manual:
MONITOR
The Monitor screen displays the servo positions for each channel graphically and numerically. This is useful to verify programming functions, trim settings, mix directions, etc. The numeric value is directly relative to the travel adjust and mix values (e.g., 100% travel adjust equals 100% value in the Monitor).
To Access the Monitor screen
With the transmitter on and the main or telemetry screen displayed, press the roller. The Function list will display.Rotate the roller to highlight Monitor then press to access.
boltor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This will be an interesting poll. Too bad there's not a lot of traffic in the forum though.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just picked mine up today from my LHS, it was a fresh unit since they were on back order for some time. Checked monitor screen and everything was at 0% and returned to 0% everytime!! Hopefully I got lucky.
Beam E4-(Scorpion HK-2221-6,11T pinion, Phoenix 60, HS65MG cyclics, GY520),120SR, Trex 250SE (stock) MH bottom plate,GY-520,Futaba R6106, MCPx,DX7se,Futaba 8FG Super, HPI Vorza on Futaba 4PL.Honda HS928K1TA
olemil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Hopefully I got lucky.
Time will tell. I've used mine for 30 flights and 50-100 (?) hours on the sim before i experienced my first glitch yesterday. Now that I think about it.. that explains why I thought trim was on a month ago on one sim session.. but it went away in 5 seconds or so.. didn't connect the dots until just now.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

2% off on my aileron.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
This will be an interesting poll. Too bad there's not a lot of traffic in the forum though.
yes. Hope it doesn't annoy people, however I started the same poll over on RCG (greater traffic). See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1404818
Old 03-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Aileron for me. 2 to 10%. repaired by Horizon.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

my rudder channel is fine... aileron, elevator, pitch are -2,2,2 respectively in normal heli mode at low stick... at 5% throttle its centered... stunt1 and 2 its fine at 50% mid stick its all centered... in acro mode all is fine... no issues...
G770T + DS650
Switch_639 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine has an issue with the aileron channel not centering. It will start to flicker anywhere up to 14%. I wrote Horizon europe about this and the tech told me to disconnect the cable to the aileron pot and connect it again. I did and the problem went away.
One week later it reappeared, I repeated the procedure and put a bit of WD40 on the contact. This time it worked for 4 weeks. I did one last try and scraped the contacts a bit to make sure there was no oxide and making sure the connector was well seated. I will see how long it lasts this time. Next time it happens I will probably send it back.

So it seems the pot itself is not the issue but rather oxide forming on the connector.
chopman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopman View Post
Mine has an issue with the aileron channel not centering. It will start to flicker anywhere up to 14%. I wrote Horizon europe about this and the tech told me to disconnect the cable to the aileron pot and connect it again. I did and the problem went away.
One week later it reappeared, I repeated the procedure and put a bit of WD40 on the contact. This time it worked for 4 weeks. I did one last try and scraped the contacts a bit to make sure there was no oxide and making sure the connector was well seated. I will see how long it lasts this time. Next time it happens I will probably send it back.

So it seems the pot itself is not the issue but rather oxide forming on the connector.
Thanks for your post. I had/have the exact same issue, I reconnected the ail cable just now and the monitor says 0 aileron all the way up the throttle range. I'll just add that you need to push a toothpick or something into the tiny holes on the side of the socket to release the plug, as I did not realise at first.
outspaced is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Guys

I have exactly the same issue too, spoke to horizon in the uk. Very helpful and gave me some really good news ! NOT!

Ok there is an issue with these DX8 pots. The DX8 is not made by JR like the DX7 series was and unfortunately the quality of the internals (i.e Pots and PCB) are not that good. They are cheap carbon film pots and the normal returns policy is to just swap them out like for like.

So horizon get spares that are just that ....the same spares. Its not an upgrade or anything ( you would have thought they would have upgraded the pots to a nice metal film or higher quality pot).

My heli survived - it did a 90 deg piro on me after the DX8 on the rudder failed it started of with just the rudder a tiny of bit of drift at 3-8% off centre. Then went and put in about 10-15% which did the deed.

Then i noticed the Cyclic also had odd things happening 2-3% variation too.

The guy at Horizon agreed with me and we both agreed that i would be better of buying a new DSX9 for reliability - so that's what i have just done.

He also told me that the DX7 was a superb reliable and basic TX with little or no returns. (again made by JR).

So lets see how we get on with DSX9 MK2 ?.
izzybunrabbit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think i am lucky so far with no issues on the pots but have been pissed at the fact that the silver on the bezel at the top has worn through after a few weeks of usage to thin a coat of paint. But anyway back to the issue on hand, i think it is absurd that if your pots go or tend to start going that you send the unit back and they install new pots but the exact same bad quality ones they put in the radios in the first place. Car manufacturers would never get away with stuff like that, can you imagine, "not to worry sir the brakes that failed on you that nearly made you kill someone will be sorted out the minute you return your car so we can put a brand new pair of faulty brakes in for you, just let us know how it goes in the future oh and buy the way safe driving". I think horizon should stop wasting there money by replacing with the same junk pots they used in the first place and do a complete recall and sort the problem out once and for all, also not to mention the time and money that people have had through actual crashes caused by this problem. I think they are getting off lightly based on the type of hobby and that its a given people will crash, so what if its a crash caused from a crappy pot.
WayneVanRooyen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 06:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzybunrabbit View Post
The guy at Horizon agreed with me and we both agreed that i would be better of buying a new DSX9 for reliability - so that's what i have just done.
Wow i cant imagine parting with more money to buy a reliable radio. After all did we not spend money to get a new reliable DX8.
WayneVanRooyen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 06:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzybunrabbit View Post
The guy at Horizon agreed with me and we both agreed that i would be better of buying a new DSX9 for reliability
interesting. before I returned mine for a full refund, I was offered an upgrade to an 11X (for a fee of course).
Old 03-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Have I just sold my reliable DX7 and bought ?????
Old 03-19-2011, 01:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

It seems clear that there is a problem with the pots - I would however be extra cautious about trusting the results of this poll as some may not realize in the spur of the moment that the use of sub-trim or the trim tabs affects the center stick position offset in the monitor. I know that most don't use trim on rudder, but some do - and most do on cyclic.
Rasmus1110 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 02:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is true.

Everyone who votes be sure to look at the monitor in a neutral model like your sim model. I know I do.. and therefore I KNOW I have an iffy rudder pot
Old 03-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine is stuck @ -100 and wont move!
jnims29 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine was -21 off. Sent it to HH and had it back in a week. It works great now. They replaced both gimbals, some other electronics, and the lcd screen so it has the new DSMX logo on it. I really like the radio now that it is working.
Zaaaguy72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

All channels are centered correctly.
Lighty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in