Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 08:11 AM   #201 (permalink)
Registered Users

When my mCPX had about a dozen flights on it, I started having some servo issues. After reading about the contact strips getting dirty, etc., I took my servos apart and found the contact strips were very dirty. So I used a product I've loved for years: Deoxit.

I have a set of one tiny tube of the cleaner and one of the conditioner (red and gold). I used a Q-tip to clean up the strips and wipers and then apply some of the conditioner. I have not had a servo jitter problem since then (LOTS of flights).

Between the swash ball grommet mod and using the two-step Deoxit regimen on the servo contact strips and wipers, I have had nothing but satisfactory performance from my mCPX. Now, if I can just find a way to get satisfactory piloting performance....

Good flying,
desmobob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 12:06 AM   #202 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydros27 View Post
I have a brand new mCP X. 2 min into the first flight it started shake. 2 min into the second flight it did the same thing. Any thoughts?
Mine shook when new until I did the grommet mod.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #203 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just wanted to offer some feedback on DeoxIT.

I've got somewhere around 150 flights on mine. I've cleaned all my servos with isopropyl alcohol several times. The first time, I was getting a lot of shakes, and some twitching at rest (throttle off, just sitting there, or maybe also with tilting it back & forth, with the throttle off). Cleaning with alcohol helped fix it.

After a while, started getting shakes again. Cleaned them again. But started getting shakes and twitching again within a few flights (literally, 2-3). Cleaned again, to make sure I hadn't missed anything. No real improvement.

Did some reading on DeoxIT. Frankly, was trying to avoid spending comparatively a bunch of money on two giant cans of cleaner (D5) and conditioner (G5), if I didn't know it was going to help. So I saw that Radio Shack sells a 2-pack of small cans, one of cleaner (DN5), and conditioner (GN5), for $15:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2104746

Took apart the servo that's been twitching at-rest, and cleaned it with DN5 sprayed onto a Q-tip, and then conditioned it with GN5 sprayed onto a Q-tip. It got a little more dark stuff off the contact strips. It does leave a film of oil where you use it, for what it's worth. I'd rather stick with selectively applying it with a Q-tip, instead of just spraying it and attracting grit to a larger area.

Have about 10 flights since then. I have not noticed twitching from the cleaned servo. Still got some shakes after the first flight, so swapped my half-grommets on the front to full-grommets. It's been smooth since then. For reference, I did try going from half to full-grommets previously, before the DeoxIT, and it did not help. That was when the servo was still twitching at-rest. But the DeoxIT seems to have helped with that.

Short form, I'm impressed with the DeoxIT so far. I'll see how this holds up longer-term. But I only used it on one servo as a start, in case it caused problems. I now plan to use it on the others as well. If I can use it to extend the life of the 3 fairly expensive (and currently back-ordered) servos, then that's well worth the $15.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 01:42 AM   #204 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unhappy Please help, bad vibration out of the box...

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me out. My little cousin just got an mcp x from wowhobbies, he got it shipped to our country. But hes never been able to fly it right. When ever he gets to 80% throttle the heli shakes so bad it causes you to land or crash. At first it wouldnt even lift off, so we added some positive pitch on the dx6i and it hovered fine but still anytime he gave more throttle it would shake real bad. We have checked almost every thing, the boom is ok, we changed the blade grips, the spindle is ok, we changed the main gear and made sure its pushed up as far as it can be, we´ve gone through 3 sets of blades. Reprogrammed the tx, re binded. Done the rubber band fix, grommet mod, I think it could be a servo but I cant notice any shaking on the linkages so im not sure. When i hold it in my hand I can tell that the blade tracking is way off once you hit 80% throttle.
Its a really bad vibration, no way to fly with it.

Anybody have an idea what might be wrong?

Thanks in advance for anyhelp.
mrldc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 08:00 AM   #205 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrldc View Post
Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me out. My little cousin just got an mcp x from wowhobbies, he got it shipped to our country. But hes never been able to fly it right. When ever he gets to 80% throttle the heli shakes so bad it causes you to land or crash. At first it wouldnt even lift off, so we added some positive pitch on the dx6i and it hovered fine but still anytime he gave more throttle it would shake real bad. We have checked almost every thing, the boom is ok, we changed the blade grips, the spindle is ok, we changed the main gear and made sure its pushed up as far as it can be, we´ve gone through 3 sets of blades. Reprogrammed the tx, re binded. Done the rubber band fix, grommet mod, I think it could be a servo but I cant notice any shaking on the linkages so im not sure. When i hold it in my hand I can tell that the blade tracking is way off once you hit 80% throttle.
Its a really bad vibration, no way to fly with it.

Anybody have an idea what might be wrong?

Thanks in advance for anyhelp.
That's frustrating! I presume you've read this thread thoroughly because there are a lot of good ideas. A couple of additional quick suggestions off of the top of my head:

1) You said the feathering spindle isn't bent, how are the dampeners? I know they are pretty new but I've found that if the feathering shaft slides through them easily (as opposed to having some noticeable resistance) that there is more vibration. The dampeners do wear out even on this little guy.

2) Have you changed the swash-to-grip links? If your tracking was off on a big heli you'd adust the length of those, right? Perhaps one is slightly longer than the other? Looser than the other? Do the ball joints on those fit pretty well? If they are loose you could try the teflon tape trick that was mentioned for the servo ball links earlier in this thread.

3) Have you balanced your blades and/or the rotor head with the blades installed? It doesn't sound like the blades are the issue since you've tried different ones but.....Also, if you are using the bullet blades make sure that the little weight that's glued in the hole on the underside of the bullet hasn't come out. I had that happen and there was a lot of vibration! https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=289612

4) It sounds like you've gone over everything carefully but perhaps do it again with an eye to things that might move slightly as the rotor speed picks up. Something slightly cracked, misaligned, binding?

5) May not be related, but check the information in the post below for suggestions on how to set your blade pitch range. Is it possible that your servos are biased too much one direction and so are bottoming out as you get to higher throttle/collective? I can't really explain why that would cause the shakes, seems like it would more likely cause it to shoot off in one direction or another but....
https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=46

Good luck, let us know what happens!
Old 07-12-2011, 06:28 AM   #206 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does the grommet mod take the slop out of the head and stop the wobbles... or does it increase load on the servos, which then increases the voltages running through the wipers inside the servos?

Seems odd that new heli's need the grommet mod..almost like there is grease or something on the servo wipers that makes it a poor connection.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:21 AM   #207 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
I just wanted to offer some feedback on DeoxIT.

I'm impressed with the DeoxIT so far. I'll see how this holds up longer-term. But I only used it on one servo as a start, in case it caused problems. I now plan to use it on the others as well. If I can use it to extend the life of the 3 fairly expensive (and currently back-ordered) servos, then that's well worth the $15.
I also bought the smaller two-part-pack, and have had very similar experience -- after using it, I have dozens of flights with noticeably quieter servos, and no more hanging in a spot. Obviously this can't magically fix a totally delaminated contact board, but if the issue is dirt or a need for contact lubrication, then this stuff really does seem to do the trick.
tracknoob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 12:01 PM   #208 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yup. Mine has been glassy-smooth since I did it. Somewhere around 30+ flights or so since the DeOxit. I do have the full grommets on the front now (up from half grommets), but they are not the reason for the whole difference. I'd done full-grommets, and still had bad shakes, before the DeOxit (when I was just using isopropyl).

I have not done the other servos yet, because it's still smooth. But I will, when it comes time. I'm very happy with it thus far. $15 well spent. I've also used it on some other electronics since then, non-heli, and it did a great job.

I forgot to mention in my previous post, I'd also tried some CRC Electronics Cleaner, in a spray can (onto a Q-tip, cleaned the normal way). That wasn't much help. Maybe a bit better than the alcohol, but not much at all. The DeOxit has actually worked.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #209 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs dont fly View Post
Does the grommet mod take the slop out of the head and stop the wobbles... or does it increase load on the servos, which then increases the voltages running through the wipers inside the servos?

Seems odd that new heli's need the grommet mod..almost like there is grease or something on the servo wipers that makes it a poor connection.
It is simply because the fit between the ball links and balls is not very accurate.

I'm pretty sure the increased load on the servos and less correcting (because of less slop) balances out, I didn't notice any change in flight time by going to grommets.
ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #210 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonflychainsaw View Post
The servos start "stepping" before they start jittering. If you start to notice stepping in any part of your servo travel, then spray D5 in the slot of your white plastic servo mechanics. (the potentiometer strip is just behind there) If you start to feel like you have too much D5 and dirt in your servos, then spray some "Electro-Sound Guitar Pickup and Electronic Cleaner" in there to blow it all out. Both Electro-Sound and D5 are nonconductive so it is safe to use them even with the heli on. If I see a jitter I land, spray, and takeoff again. Easy as that.
hi guys thanks for all the tips, getting ready to rebuild my mcpx.
is this the stuff you reference?http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=2104746#

thanks
rob
rob214 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #211 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That's what I bought, yes. You can buy it in much larger, individual cans, but those are about $15 each, and even these little ones seem like they could probably take care of your servos for a few years
Old 07-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #212 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine started having fairly severe vibrations around 65 flights, took some stuff apart and couldn't find anything, finally saw this thread and tried this today... that was it. I took apart the two aileron servos and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol very lightly. I actually didn't think it was going to help. I saw a little dirt on qtips but it didn't seem like much. Just flew it and it is very smooth again. Time will tell if I have to try the dexoit mentioned. Unfortunately I lost 1 of the 2 screws holding the right side servo on. I guess I'll just have to check that one screw to be sure it is ok, hate to buy a new servo to get a screw.
mikedoo3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #213 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Glad to hear cleaning the servo fixed your vibes

Regarding the screw, there is a hardware set for the mCPX (BLH3523) that has the screws for the servos.
ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #214 (permalink)

Default DeoxIT to clean mCPX servo conductive strips

I have seen posts that using DeoxIT DN5 or GN5 on faders, potentiometers, carbon-based controls can damage them. They are not made for these.
DeoxIT DN5 and or GN5 is what to use on the metal strip and fingers and
DeoxIT FaderLube F5 is what to use on the black carbon stip.
This is the conclusion I came too after reading threads, posts, and the DeoxIT web site.
I know some people are using the DN5 or GN5 on the black carbon strip with
no problems. I just want to add what I have found.

"DeoxIT® D-Series contact cleaner is a fast-acting deoxidizing solution that cleans, protects, lubricates and improves conductivity on all metal connectors and contacts".

DeoxIT® Gold (formerly ProGold), is a unique conditioning solution that improves conductivity and provides long-lasting protection on gold, base metals and other precious metal contacts and connections (gold, silver, rhodium, copper, bronze, nickel, etc.).

DeoxIT® FaderLube F5
Lubrication/protection of plastic-to-plastic parts (faders), plastic-to-metal parts (faders, linear sliders - dot matrix printers), metal-to-metal parts (sliding and slow rotating metal parts, locks, bearings), carbon-based controls (potentiometers) and membrane switches (mouse pointers, touch keypads).

See my thread for more information including resistance measurements I made of the conductive servo strips.
Also I took a picture of the mCPX servo taken apart to show the fingers and conductive strips.

DeoxIT to clean mCPX servo conductive strips

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...79#post3090779

Tom
CX2Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #215 (permalink)
Registered Users

cx2
hi tom
i read your post and i'm going to try the tips. i'm trying to get some of that deoxit fader lube.
should i clean with alcohol then use the fader lube? can we use something to spray in the servo and just use as a cleaner? or should we take apart the servo clean with alcohol then the fader lube.
thanks
rob
rob214 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #216 (permalink)

Hi Rob, it says it is a cleaner and lubricant. Here is a picture of the package.
I am going to take apart the servo and put some on Q-tips and clean the black carbon contact strip until it comes out clean. It will leave a layer of lubricant on it.
Then I will use DeoxIT D & DeoxIT G for the metal contact strip and fingers.
I don't know if you can use the DeoxIT FaderLube F5 on the metal contact strip also,
if so then you should be able to spray it into the servo to clean and lube the contact strips
and fingers without taking the servo apart.

Tom

Old 07-20-2011, 05:43 AM   #217 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I did not read this whole thread, as the first posting was enough to help me fix the problem with my Blade mCPX!

@ ChrisH - THANKS!

My mCPX developed vibrations too and I suspected something was wrong with the gyro but this thread helped me out. Thank you, this forum rocks!!
spektrex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #218 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX2Pilot View Post
I don't know if you can use the DeoxIT FaderLube F5 on the metal contact strip also, if so then you should be able to spray it into the servo to clean and lube the contact strips and fingers without taking the servo apart.
Tom, I would also like to know if that can be done…those tiny servo screws are a PITA when having to open them up for a clean. If the FN5 works it would be fantastic.
Heli G is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #219 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If memory serves, someone had posted about spraying their servos with DeoxIT (I think), then cycling them up and down to kind of work it in. When they'd start having problems, he'd give them another spray.

I'm sure that works. But given the oily film that's left behind (by DN5 & GN5, at least), I'd prefer to keep that confined to just where the strips, where it's needed (and applied with a Q-tip, rather than sprayed directly). I'd be concerned about attracting dust, grit, etc. I have 50 flights so far (and counting) on the one I cleaned with DN5 & GN5. Depending on how long it continues without problems, you hopefully won't have to disassemble them all that often.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #220 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
If memory serves, someone had posted about spraying their servos with DeoxIT (I think), then cycling them up and down to kind of work it in. When they'd start having problems, he'd give them another spray.

I'm sure that works. But given the oily film that's left behind (by DN5 & GN5, at least), I'd prefer to keep that confined to just where the strips, where it's needed (and applied with a Q-tip, rather than sprayed directly). I'd be concerned about attracting dust, grit, etc. I have 50 flights so far (and counting) on the one I cleaned with DN5 & GN5. Depending on how long it continues without problems, you hopefully won't have to disassemble them all that often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli G View Post
Tom, I would also like to know if that can be done…those tiny servo screws are a PITA when having to open them up for a clean. If the FN5 works it would be fantastic.

I saw that post also (spraying their servos with DeoxIT).
I'm looking now to buy the DeoxIT FaderLube F5. Will check eBay also.
And I have DeoxIT D & DeoxIT G here that I got from Radio Shack.

I will post results when I get the F5 and I find out if we can use F5 on the metal
contact strip and fingers also.

One drawback of spraying the servo like you said is the oily film that's left behind
will be all over the board and it will attract dust and dirt. But you should be
able to clean a lot of it up with Q-tips.

I have spare mCPX used servos I can try cleaning methods on.

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in