Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X


mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #81 (permalink)
HF Support
 
Posts: 11,383
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Default

Yep, I assume as I am nearing 100 flights I'll probably have to replace the servos. I cleaned them and am still getting just a touch of shake on cyclic ...
ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 821
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
Yep, I assume as I am nearing 100 flights I'll probably have to replace the servos. I cleaned them and am still getting just a touch of shake on cyclic ...
Mine probably have 40 or 60 additional flights on them since the tear down, clean-up and adding contact cleaner/lubricant... no gltiches or failures after that one initial hiccup.

I'm down for a tail boom right now, but if I have any failure of the servos, I'll report back to the thread.
tracknoob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 12:08 AM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Default

So what is a normal servo life?

I am guessing that these servos are seeing increased wear due to the FBL controller constantly making small corrections.

I wonder if those of us that spend our time hovering will see faster failures, since we don't move the servos as much as those who are doing 3d. The servo just sits there at 75%, making tiny moves back and forth. This may be something that was not really tested at HH, that is, hours upon hours of hovering, since those flyers were probably wringing it out doing stunts...

Perfect excuse for spending more time in the wind, where I have to do a lot more collective moves...

I sent HH an email asking if this kind of wear is considered normal.
__________________
Wayne Bengston
Gootch 450 Pro, Walkera 4G3 & 4G6
Blade 120 SR and mCP X
PZ Night Vapor, Ember and UM Mosquito. M-A-E Penguin
VaderSS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 03:42 AM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Default

I think with a clean they should last a long time generally... to actually wear down the wipers and/or strip would take a long time.
__________________
Blade mCP X - Brushless, XP-7A, HP05S
Gaui X2, BeastX/Scorpion 3400kv/YGE-30A/GS-093/DS95i
Align AH-1 Cobra (T-Rex 500)
Align T-Rex 600 EFL Pro, SK720/600MX/YGE-90HV/BL9180/BL9188
zeeflyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 07:13 AM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 595
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: May 2010
Default

Blast. I just cleaned all three servos. The front two are fine. I'm not sure what I did, but after powering up I got the blue smoke of death from the rear servo: it's totally fried.
__________________
Trex 450 Pro V2 - Stock with BeastX
mCP X, Nano QX
Fuzzy Toaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 755 robert View Post
It seems maybe a conductive lubricant might be in order.
Yes!! There's something called DeOxit that does just this. It lubricates and is conductive. You can probably apply with a toothpick. It's available at Radioshack, but a bit pricey at around 14 dollars for a cleaner and lube package.
I have a conductive carbon based grease also, but I don't want to slow down the action of the linear servo or apply any more drag than necessary.

Thanks for this tip thread guys!
wkma7six is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 821
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkma7six View Post
Yes!! There's something called DeOxit that does just this. It lubricates and is conductive. You can probably apply with a toothpick. It's available at Radioshack, but a bit pricey at around 14 dollars for a cleaner and lube package.
I have a conductive carbon based grease also, but I don't want to slow down the action of the linear servo or apply any more drag than necessary.

Thanks for this tip thread guys!
Contact cleaners and lubricants have been discussed earlier in the thread starting aroung post #15 I think.

I am currently using some stuff called "Tweek" that claims to be non-conductive except when it is in the microscopic voids within the contact space itself, and then and only then, it somehow conducts. However, this action is much different than material with actual conductive material in it, like carbon!

There is no way I would put fully conductive material into the servo, anywhere -- it will almost certainly short out, ruining the servo at a minimum and likely taking out your 3-in-1 as well.

I just read the product insert for De-oxit, and it claims to work just like Tweek, so while it may not be great stuff, at least it will likely not short out the servo:

Quote:
DeoxIT® and DeoxIT® GOLD (ProGold) are designed to improve the flow of electricity between metal surfaces. These products are initially non-conductive... when subjected to an electrical field... promotes current flow. No short circuits will occur....resistance is high enough to prevent short circuits.
However, the carbon conductive grease might be a problem, IMHO:

Quote:
Section 2: Hazardous Ingredients
CAS# Chemical Name Percentage by weight ACGIH TWA Osha Pel Osha Stel
1333-86-4 Carbon black 20-22 N/A N/A N/A
63148-62-9 Dimethylpolysiloxane 78-86 N/E N/E N/E

Electrical Resistivity 117 ohms^cm
I'd steer clear of this!
tracknoob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 04:00 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Default

Think I'll give the deoxit gold liquid a try. It comes in a small tube for $7. I'll try it on one of my bad servos first, and if it does not mess anything up, I'll put it on my new servos.
__________________
Wayne Bengston
Gootch 450 Pro, Walkera 4G3 & 4G6
Blade 120 SR and mCP X
PZ Night Vapor, Ember and UM Mosquito. M-A-E Penguin
VaderSS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderSS View Post
Think I'll give the deoxit gold liquid a try. It comes in a small tube for $7. I'll try it on one of my bad servos first, and if it does not mess anything up, I'll put it on my new servos.
Looking forward to hearing the results. I haven't had problems yet but it sounds like it is almost inevitable so this will be good info. Thanks for being the guinea pig!
__________________
Always learning, and enjoying the process!
mejmea is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 06:52 PM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
There is no way I would put fully conductive material into the servo, anywhere -- it will almost certainly short out, ruining the servo at a minimum and likely taking out your 3-in-1 as well.
Why do you say that? I'm not disagreeing, just curious. Are you worried about it shorting out the PCB, motor, etc? Or it interfering with the correct operation of the "wiper" and the potentiometer?

My understanding/assumption was that the resistive aspect of the potentiometer was done in the strips themselves, and was not really a function of the contact between the wiper and the strips. That is, improving the connection between the wiper and strips would not confuse the pot (and therefore the servo). Is that not correct? Or are you just worried about shorting out the motor, or something similar?
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 821
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Why do you say that? I'm not disagreeing, just curious. Are you worried about it shorting out the PCB, motor, etc? Or it interfering with the correct operation of the "wiper" and the potentiometer?

My understanding/assumption was that the resistive aspect of the potentiometer was done in the strips themselves, and was not really a function of the contact between the wiper and the strips. That is, improving the connection between the wiper and strips would not confuse the pot (and therefore the servo). Is that not correct? Or are you just worried about shorting out the motor, or something similar?
I have not done any electronic and/or mechanical analysis of what the various failure modes could be, but suffice it to say that IMHO placing conductive material @ ~100 ohms/cm (made up of more than 20% carbon black) that is motile via suspension in grease, into an area with a moving contact arm whose function is to engage a graduated resistance strip whose job is to provide fine positional control to the rotor head of a helicopter spinning at 4,000 RPM, but where feedthroughs with missing conformal coating have been observed, strikes me as simply imprudent on the face of it, especially since any potential benefit you might gain from using the stuff is easily done better with a different material that is not inherently highly conductive. I haven't measured the actual impedance of the strips, but IMHO this stuff simply can't be doing any good in there. It is instead designed for application to switch contacts inside a sealed assy, or to the face of an already isolated circuit breaker tang, etc. to help what should already be a 'zero ohm' connection be close to that, and also ward off contact corrosion.

tracknoob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 08:53 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default

Gotcha, thank you for the explanation. Interesting, as well as educational. Considering that the conductive stuff may well migrate with all the vibration, etc, and could touch any of the nearby items, I'm sure you're right, it would be a bad idea.

It does seem (from a beginner's perspective) that some sort of safe lubricant might be able to help extend the life of the strips on the servos. If they're lasting, say, 100 flights, that sounds good on the surface, but if people can churn through batteries like some have been, then $60 for a new set of servos is going to get fairly expensive. Hopefully we can help them last longer than that.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Default

Thank you so much Chris HH for the info, it took me half an hour to do all three servos and now it's as smooth as new again!
perlinauto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 821
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Gotcha, thank you for the explanation. Interesting, as well as educational. Considering that the conductive stuff may well migrate with all the vibration, etc, and could touch any of the nearby items, I'm sure you're right, it would be a bad idea.

It does seem (from a beginner's perspective) that some sort of safe lubricant might be able to help extend the life of the strips on the servos. If they're lasting, say, 100 flights, that sounds good on the surface, but if people can churn through batteries like some have been, then $60 for a new set of servos is going to get fairly expensive. Hopefully we can help them last longer than that.
My MCPX #1 is running the 'Tweek' aka Stabilant 22 in all three servos. I placed it in there following the first tear down for cleaning due to a rear servo hang up, and so far so good since then, maybe 50 or 60 additional flights on the original servos.

If I did not already have a lifetime supply of that stuff for free (it doesn't take much) then if I ever took my servo apart for inspection/cleaning, I'd be inclined to use the Radio Shack spray clean/lube/enhancer which seems to work off the same principles -- it's an insulator at a distance, but at the microscopic level, it's a contact 'enhancer'.
tracknoob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 11:06 AM   #95 (permalink)
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Default

Tracknoob,
Thanks for the info on the carbon based grease. I've only used it in situations to prevent or minimize arcing of contacts and accelerated wear due to arcing of soft copper contacts. I'll use the deoxit stuff later when I am able to service the servos thoroughly. I'll keep in mind "non-conductive". That conductive stuff is suspended in a silicone based grease as I read on the product info.
wkma7six is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 11:11 AM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 821
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkma7six View Post
Tracknoob,
Thanks for the info on the carbon based grease. I've only used it in situations to prevent or minimize arcing of contacts and accelerated wear due to arcing of soft copper contacts. I'll use the deoxit stuff later when I am able to service the servos thoroughly. I'll keep in mind "non-conductive". That conductive stuff is suspended in a silicone based grease as I read on the product info.

tracknoob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #97 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 699
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Default

Cleaned mine today and it works like new except BETTER!!! I did the grommet trick on swash and grip balls. Solid as a rock!!! Thanks guys for ALL the tips! Keep em coming.......
__________________
I love gyros!!! They're yummy!!!
rc247 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Default

I also wiped down my contact strip on the aileron servos and affixed canopy grommets on the two front swash balls.
Smooth as butter.



Quote:
Originally Posted by rc247 View Post
Cleaned mine today and it works like new except BETTER!!! I did the grommet trick on swash and grip balls. Solid as a rock!!! Thanks guys for ALL the tips! Keep em coming.......
uberbania is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 78
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Default

I had to do this today, my rear servo was hanging up. I pulled it apart and sure enough it was black. I cleaned it with a q-tip and 70% iso alc. When I put it all back together and put a battery in it, it started smoking and the rubber wire insulation on the servo began to melt. Can someone explain to me wtf happened?
JokazWild is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #100 (permalink)
HF Support
 
Posts: 11,383
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokazWild View Post
I had to do this today, my rear servo was hanging up. I pulled it apart and sure enough it was black. I cleaned it with a q-tip and 70% iso alc. When I put it all back together and put a battery in it, it started smoking and the rubber wire insulation on the servo began to melt. Can someone explain to me wtf happened?
It's very important that you DRY everything out and make sure nothing is binding when you put it back together. Also, the wires around the servo are very fragile so you have to be extremely careful when pulling the top servo mechanics off the board.

Sorry it happened but you are at your own discretion with this stuff !
ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply




Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Location
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




Copyright © Website Acquisitions Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1