Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #101 (permalink)
Registered Users

It was dry, I took a hair dryer to it (no heat) and let it sit for about 30 min before I put it back together. I was very careful and pulled out the servo plug with baby needle nose pliers, and inspected everything before and after installation.

Only reason I ask is because I have no idea what happened, and I don't want to make the same mistake installing the new servo (if a mistake was made), nor to I want to fry another one if I need to do this process again.

Thanks for your help.
JokazWild is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2011, 11:53 PM   #102 (permalink)
Registered Users

edited: i thought you actually had a hairdryer blowing on it for 30min...see below for why I can't read very well right now...
Here's what I did.
I just used a q-tip with rubbing alcohol, one end was damp (squeezed out excess liquid), wiped down, and dried off with the other end. Back and forth between wet end and dry end a few times, (took my time and) re-assembled it, checked on HF for any new posts on stuff I might wanna try out while I have the heli indoors. Then proceeded to head out to test fate against my slowly developing CP skills and how fast I can pull a ladder out of the garage for roof retrieval ops...but I digress...

Could you have possibly pinched a wire in between the frame and the servo board, possibly causing a short?

For the record, i F-ing hate anatomy & physiology lab practicals and studying for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokazWild View Post
It was dry, I took a hair dryer to it (no heat) and let it sit for about 30 min before I put it back together. I was very careful and pulled out the servo plug with baby needle nose pliers, and inspected everything before and after installation.

Only reason I ask is because I have no idea what happened, and I don't want to make the same mistake installing the new servo (if a mistake was made), nor to I want to fry another one if I need to do this process again.

Thanks for your help.
uberbania is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 12:08 AM   #103 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

To be honest I really don't know what could have fried your servo. BUT, if it was working before, unfortunately I would have to think it was something you might have done during disassembly or reassembly. uberbania has some good suggestions, and his process is essentially what I did when I first changed out my servos.

All three of my servos have now gone through two cleaning cycles with no issues ...
ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 01:44 AM   #104 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I used deoxit after 115 flights along with a thorough cleaning with contact cleaner on the wipers and the contact pads. The aileron servos were filthy! After final and close inspection of the wear areas, I saw a few of the fingers had worn away so much, the wiper arms were literally just dangling. They were more worn on the carbon contact side. I ended relubing only the silver side of the contact strip on all three servos. Looks like I'll need to keep a watchful eye on the two aileron units. The elevator servo had very little wear on my helicopter.

After all was cleaned, she performed flawlessly and smooth as silk. Jitters were all gone. Even with worn fingers on the wipers! Looks like l need to order a servo unit or two.
wkma7six is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 03:12 AM   #105 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Jitters/Skaking its BACK!!

Hey guys, I posted some time ago with a big thanks for this suggestion of cleaning the servos as I was starting to get a TERRIBLE shake.
I went through and cleaned all 3 servos as best i could with alcohol, and put it all back together and it flew smooth for about 10 flights. Now my shaking is back. Not as bad as before and in a hover it is still smooth, but with any forward flight or cyclic inputs it goes into a shaking spell again. This seems alot worse towards the end of a pack!!

Any ideas/suggestions?
sjsamuel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 02:34 AM   #106 (permalink)
Registered Users

I when thru this cleaning procedure. Seemed like a logical thing to do. Servos were not that dirty after 66 flights. But it did not stop the shaking or the crazy noise I am getting along with the shaking? Any other suggestions? I posted a video of the crazy noise I'm getting. I'm going to bring it down to Aero Mirco tmrw to see if you guys can figure it out. Up to this point its been great.

Chris are you working tmrw?

Thanks

Rich
Old 04-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #107 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess you guys all checked your feathering shafts already?
Check both sides, remove a blade, turn the feathering shaft with a screwdriver, if the remaining blade tip moves EVEN A TINY BIT, its bent and needs to be replaced.

I've bent two shafts on mine already, think its something to do with the main gear being a bit tight on the shaft, and the feathering shaft gets bent instead of the gear slipping around.

I've found that even a microscopic bend gives the shakes on this heli, the rest of it can be as sloppy as you like, but a little bend and its gets the an intermittant wobble on, if your mainshaft is cracked too the shake can get really bad.
Being bent the feathering shaft will get twisted around in flight by the pull against the bend from the blades grips. Sometimes it just puts the tracking out by a bit, other times it will twist around and put the blades out of line on the disk, and this gives it the shakes as its out of phase with one blade lagging...which comes and go's as the shaft fidgets about in flight. This is why the rubber band mod works...although its no good for your servos....my 2p
Old 04-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #108 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsamuel View Post
Hey guys, I posted some time ago with a big thanks for this suggestion of cleaning the servos as I was starting to get a TERRIBLE shake.
I went through and cleaned all 3 servos as best i could with alcohol, and put it all back together and it flew smooth for about 10 flights. Now my shaking is back. Not as bad as before and in a hover it is still smooth, but with any forward flight or cyclic inputs it goes into a shaking spell again. This seems alot worse towards the end of a pack!!

Any ideas/suggestions?
I think the fingers on the wiper tabs are worn out. Mine is doing something very similar on one of the aileron servos. Cleaned and it reappears not long after. I think it's due for a replacement after getting 120+ flights out of it. I recall seeing one of the other members logging nearly 300 flights already, but I don't know if they had any servo issues our cleaned them out.
wkma7six is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #109 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
So I have been flying my mCP X pretty much every day for the last week it has been out. As I got more and more flights on it (approaching 60 now), I noticed it was developing a vibration. I thought it was my bladescraped-up main blades, so I shaved the weight off my FFF blades and used those. No difference in flight, but it felt really smooth when spooled up in my hand.

On the bench, I realized that one of the aileron servos was twitching intermittently. I could bump the blade with my finger and the servo would jump back and forth (searching for center) for about 3-5 seconds. I unplugged the elevator servo and plugged it into the aileron port, to see if that was causing the problem. Same deal -- same servo was twitching, so it wasn't that specific port. My boss suggested the potentiometers in the servos being dirty, which I thought was unlikely. It was slow so I figured I'd take it apart and see...

Sure enough, there were black marks (on the silver stripe) on the PCB where the wipers on the servos move across. I used some solvent because it was all I had at the time, but it was recommended that isopropyl alcohol or dedicated pot cleaner be used for a better result. I carefully wiped both the silver strip and the wipers, until they were shiny silver again with no black stripes. At this point I had the heli mostly apart so I did all 3 cyclic servos.

Amazingly, when I went to fly it, it was completely solid with NO vibes or shakes whatsoever! It flies identical to the 3 new mCP X's I checked out yesterday for customers, with crisp cyclic inputs and a smooth collective feel. So in short, if you have a lot of flights and have vibes that you can't track down, try this! I had no idea this would make such a big difference but it did!

Pictures (sorry for so-so photos, only had the iPhone 4 at hand):

Start with this:

Remove the two screws holding the servo to the frame

Pull the servo assembly away and flip it over

Remove the four screws holding the plastic servo frame to the PCB

Carefully pull away the servo frame and flip it over

Clean the silver stripe on the PCB with a q-tip (pot cleaner or alcohol)

Clean the wipers on the servo frame assembly in the same manner

Reassemble and you're ready to fly!
what kind of battery are you using? I noticed a different pigtail..

Last edited by ChrisH; 04-05-2011 at 08:50 PM..
bradharvy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #110 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharvy View Post
what kind of battery are you using? I noticed a different pigtail..
Over 100 posts and you are the first guy to notice that I use both the stock E-Flite 200's and Hyperion 240's. At the time, it was not clear which JST P....2 connectors the stock batteries were, so I just converted to micro Deans. I have a small adapter I use for the E-Flite packs, and micro Deans on the Hyperion 240's.

BTW, no need to quote all my photos in your whole post. I removed them ... otherwise the post just gets REALLY long
Old 04-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #111 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Over 100 posts and you are the first guy to notice that I use both the stock E-Flite 200's and Hyperion 240's. At the time, it was not clear which JST P....2 connectors the stock batteries were, so I just converted to micro Deans. I have a small adapter I use for the E-Flite packs, and micro Deans on the Hyperion 240's.

BTW, no need to quote all my photos in your whole post. I removed them ... otherwise the post just gets REALLY long
Do those Hyperion 240s fit pretty well? It would be nice to have that extra 40mAh.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #112 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
Do those Hyperion 240s fit pretty well? It would be nice to have that extra 40mAh.
I used a different battery tray from a guy on RCGroups (Dylwad is the u/n).

Not only the extra 40mAh but the pack performance is much better. These things can hold headspeed MUCH better than the stock 200's.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #113 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
I used a different battery tray from a guy on RCGroups (Dylwad is the u/n).

Not only the extra 40mAh but the pack performance is much better. These things can hold headspeed MUCH better than the stock 200's.
What's the weight difference, including the tray?
Graupner MZ-32

Old 04-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #114 (permalink)
HF Support

On mine, the two are within .1g. I can't tell the difference on the scale at work.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #115 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Thanks. Sorry for the hijack.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 04-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #116 (permalink)
HF Support

No worries Alan
Old 04-05-2011, 11:11 PM   #117 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great trick in the OP, I just did this on my mSR and it fixed the servos. Thanks.
subgradient is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #118 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by subgradient View Post
Great trick in the OP, I just did this on my mSR and it fixed the servos. Thanks.
Works great on the mSR for sure! I fixed up the mSR at the shop two weekends ago and it no longer jitters in a hover.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:12 AM   #119 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tuner power batt.

Ive got the hyperion 240s and ben flying them for a while ... they are ok but i just started using 2 thunderpower 160 in parallel.. and wow whata difrence.. 8 minuts flite and 7 minuts full power... Got the thunderpower 325 45C and the 325 65C on order.. also ive used the stock batts in parallel and fot 12 minuts flite but power was kinda week after 5 minuts..
archibald38555 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 02:31 AM   #120 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Taxonomy of MCPx Vibrations

I've been thinking, we need a thread on the taxonomy of vibrations in this heli, and maybe tips and tricks for recognizing and fixing them. Some vibrations, for example, blades slightly out of balance, can trigger ball-slop vibration. In this case, grommets may seem to fix the problem, but are really just masking the real blade-balance problem, as it was with my MCPx #1.

So far, I've come up with:

* servo jitter (clean servos)
* bent feathering shaft (replace shaft)
* swash/ball slop (grommet fix)
* blades unbalanced (balance blades)
* main rotor shaft cracked (replace shaft)
* tail boom cracked
* tail rotor changed shape (re-pitch or replace tail rotor)

Did I miss any?

BTW, the toothpick-blade-balancer is stupid-easy, and worked great for me. It is referenced in this thread:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?p=2803426
clintfisher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in