Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Mikado V-BAR

Mikado V-BAR Mikado V-Stabi/V-BAR Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Has anyone using the Align DS410 servos with Mini Vbar?

I am setting up the Outrage G5 for FBL using the mini vbar 4.0.

After the 3rd DS410 burnt on the bench, I am thinking that may be the 410 is not really a real digital servo after all.

I completed the swashplate set up and was in the process of adjusting collective pitch travel range, then one of the servo stopped moving. It was locking up hard and pulled down the voltage on the BEC. After unplugging all servos, checking out the mini V, then plug the servos back one by one, I found the the dead servo.

Bought a new one, and went back to complete the set up. While the Outrage G5 sit on the bench, I decided to move all the servo around to make sure that they are OK. I just let it sit for a while then another one (not the new one) went dead. The symptom is the same as the previous one.

Get another new replacement servo, plug it in and redo setup. Another servo went dead (last of the old set) after 30 min.

My vbar set up is current set for 3 digital servos. I decided to set it to 3 or 4 analog servos then notice that the 2 good servos are actually moving more than when the vbar was set for digital. They are also moving smoother too.

I would like to know if the DS410 are true digital servos before plugging another one to the vbar? Are there any problem setting the vbar for analog servo mode with these servos?

Thanks.
Dan
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=148420

37% failure rate in that poll.. I think another servo is best bet.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

DS410 or DS410M? I have seen much higher success rates with the DS410M than DS410 (in fact, I used the DS410M on my Mini-V'd 450 Pro last year with no issues).

Personally, as Fredrik said, if you are starting a new build I'd go with a different servo (Hitec 5065MG's are a good choice).
ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

DS410. My old servos were DS410s. The gears were replaced with metal gears. After burning a complete set of servos, I now has 3 brand new Align DS410 servos with metal gears. I was thinking that setting the vbar to use 3 digital servos somehow kill them one by one (I never had this problem before on my other Vbar helis)

I will try it one more time on the DS410 servo set up but will use analog servo set up this time on the mini Vbar. If the servo burnt again, I guess I will abandon Align servos and go with Hitec HS5065MG servo then.

This is a FBL conversion on the G5 since I now have an extra mini Vbar sitting around in the drawer.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interestingly enough BeastX is suggesting 65Hz for Aligns, not 200Hz as for other digital http://www.beastx.com/service_servoliste.html
Jack2010 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks. I figured it out while talking to a friend today. He told me that the DS410 may be sucking up a lot of current when the Vbar tried to operate it as true digital servo. The BEC bogged down trying to supply current to all 3 of these. As a result, BEC shut down when it is overloaded. I guess configuring them as analog servos in the Vbar software would be OK. I will be able to tell soon.

I still can't understand why Align labeled them as digital servos
Old 03-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I installed another DS410 to my G5 and configured the the Vbar software to use 3 or 4 analog cyclic servos. The servos are working OK now. I have been playing with them on the bench for a few hours without anymore burn out.

If you must use the DS410 on your set up, you should use them as analog servos or Vbar will burn them out one by one.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

save yourself some trouble. Sell your 410's and get 3 Hitec HS5065MGs.. pretty much the standard replacement. Very good servos... never issues.. unlike the 410's which are ridiculous.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

do note, lowering the hz (by selecting analogue servos) effectively lowers the speed too.
So even if it's flyable, I agree with Slyster to drop those servos and get some real digitals.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a set of 5065MG and like them a lot. I did not know that I have to buy a whole set of Align DS-410 servos eventually. Have an old set of digital servos and decided to replace the old HS-65MG servos when upgrading to FBL thinking that digital servos are better. Didn't know that was such a bad decision. Should have stayed with HS-65MG servos.

Now that is done, I don't want to play with setting up the G5 again since servo installation on this heli is very difficult. I don't fly small heli very often anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in