Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Stick movements in hovering

Hello. I was wondering what type of stick movements are proper to use when hovering.

Specifically, are you supposed to only give (assuming up on the tx is 12 o'clock) 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock inputs or are you supposed to give mixed inputs?

For example, if I am tail-in and the heli is drifting away from me and to the right (bearing 045, relative to me). Should I be giving left aileron to level in roll and then back elevator to level in pitch....or should I just be putting the stick at 7:30 to apply both inputs at the same time.

It is easier to give the inputs separately but it seems rather inefficient. The problem I have with giving the inputs simultaneously is that the sticks feel weird when you are pushing them diagonally when close to center. By weird I mean, you can feel that you are pushing at angle to the gimbals and it is hard to get a precise movement. I have a dx7 btw.

Thanks.
freeze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

Mixed inputs will give a crisper hover and more accuracy. If you only put in inputs to correct either N, S, W or East you will be forever chasing the heli. ie put left in to correct right drift then put forward in to correct rear drift. By then the heli is off elsewhere and you'll be behind by 2 or three correction inputs

It'll come naturally the more stick time you give yourself and you'll find you won't even be thinking about it

Morley F1 60 Max (OS 61LX-H), Hirobo SDX (OS 55HZ-H, GY701), Trex 450SE + some planks
MarkD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, I'm not very experienced but I wouldn't worry about it. Do whatever you are most comfortable with, and one day you will realise that you don't do 4 directions only.
robbancs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Over time and with practice you will give whatever input is needed. For now as you are learning stick to the 4 main compass directions. You'll get more comfortable with it all as you gt better.
RĒzĒ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Awesome. Thanks for the advice guys.
freeze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default reply

SIM SIM SIM....to avoid repeated crash.. SIM SIM SIM
khymlawrence is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's kind of a late reply as I find more and more questions that I would be asking as a rookie. I found that moving my cyclic to the high side of the blade gives me a quick recovery. I just flick thumb to the high side and she flattens right out. I am still trying like hell to have a clean hover.
goose12 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 04:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Mr.Freeze,
If you have a simulator(if not get one, or go hobby store), you will figure it out.
What I want to help you understand is this. There is no sweetspot where you "hold" the sticks still, or even "minimal stick input". That's a word that is kicked around a lot. It comes from plankers when learning to fly smooth.

A helicopter is not like that. Jab the sticks back and forth. Big stick motion or small stick motion. Go left or go right. It's just back and forth. Fast, Fast fast. The more you do it the more you anticipate and FINALLY, it almost feels like you are not moving it.

Don't worry you will get there eventually. Just don't take any short cut. Experiment and jab those damn sticks. Don't waste time playing with expo or rate to cheat. Just practice and as you get better make it harder/harder on the sim. Then you'll be that much better equipped when flying the real deal. Good luck.
slamdance is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't know if I would tell someone to not use different rates. I have been trying to help a full scale pilot with his Raptor with digi servos. It is super fast compared to my Hawk with analogs. I told him to turn the rates down to limit that drastic chasing that he has done which resulted in 2 crashes so far. He is still reluctant to plug in the buddy chord. I for one do not tell new pilots to fly with expo as the new pilot is already two moves behind the curve and expo delays that late correction even more so I haven't seen it help with new guys. I on the other hand use about -10% expo and a slightly lower rate when I am flying as I prefer a more scale profile of flight. Any more than 10% expo and it just takes too much stick movement for me.
chris6414 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thumbs or Fingers

Been lurking for a couple months now and enjoy the videos in the different forums, From the learned, use my thumbs or two fingers on each stick?
COMINSK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMINSK View Post
Been lurking for a couple months now and enjoy the videos in the different forums, From the learned, use my thumbs or two fingers on each stick?
Whatever's more comfortable for you, some pros pinch the sticks, others use their thumbs.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, saw the pinching of the sticks on videos so was wondering if that gave more/better control. Tried it once and it seemed that my response time was a little slower using the fingers.
COMINSK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 02:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I prefer thumbs. I tried pinching but it feels wierd...
CyberPlainsDrifter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 08:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I too tried it awhile back and you are actually using more muscles pinching and it takes a little more coordination. Not saying it's wrong, I just have seen on more than one student, where changing to thumbs netted better results. I just have to remind them to actually keep thumb pressure down to maintaing that interface. Many new guys will remove their finger momentarily and not even realize it and start chasing the helo because they are always a half a second behind. .
chris6414 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in