Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great ideas man! I've been flying now for 2wks with a 1" longer solid carbon boom with stock wiring. I bought 2 bnf kits, both tails washed out hardcore. I then had an issue with one going into bind mode and then not binding, HH replaced the main board and now no tail wash. I modded my other heli with the longer boom and it solved the issue...so who knows lol. But I was able to raise my travels to 110% for both ele and ale, and pitch to 80%. These things rock now! Tight rolls and no washout!

EDIT: Once they were both flying great I tore one apart for my brushless conversion...now im waiting on those parts. The other is still flown everyday with MULTIPLE batteries through it...im addicted!

Last edited by daneger21; 04-06-2011 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: "EDIT"
daneger21 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'll be doing this mod tonight... Just got delivery confirmation on my last 2 components; 2mm CF rod (I got a few feet ) and micro deans... Yesterday I got the batteries (hyperion 240's), blades and some other misc parts. And today I got to stop at radio shack and pick up some enamel coated wire for the boom...
BaconRaygun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicovaludemero View Post
I'll be doing this mod tonight... Just got delivery confirmation on my last 2 components; 2mm CF rod (I got a few feet ) and micro deans... Yesterday I got the batteries (hyperion 240's), blades and some other misc parts. And today I got to stop at radio shack and pick up some enamel coated wire for the boom...

Awesome, I am dying to hear how you like it.
Jskrapper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey I'm getting a bit antsy here at work... How was the CoG after the mod? I'm looking to reconfigure my battery placement a bit so just wondering how tail heavy (if at all) it is with the stock battery on the stock configuration.

Also realized the other day that boom supports really are a must so I need to order myself some thinner CF rod. I'm kicking myself for not thinking about this when I placed my order.

Here is a little experiment you can do to see what I mean (this should in theory be more defined with a solid CF rod for a boom)...
-Firmly hold the heli by the frame as best you can.
-Now, with 1 finger gently push the tail left to right, see how little force it takes to make it 'wag'? And did you notice that it has plenty of support up and down?

Yeh this is a problem because this heli can and does produce enough torque to actually offset the tail during flight... The only way to visually test this would be to set up a camera rig and film the heli top down over some sort of grid. I'm 100% certain that in flight the thing can flex up to 3 degrees in either direction... and this is not taking the natural flex of the CF tube into account.

The CF tube... well, it's pretty stiff on the s and y axis but it exhibits quite a bit of twist... I'm assuming the solid rod alleviates this problem but if you donít mind can you just compare the two? I will also on my end but chances are we probably have CF rods from 2 different sources and all CF is not made equal so should be interesting.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hey I'm getting a bit antsy here at work... How was the CoG after the mod? I'm looking to reconfigure my battery placement a bit so just wondering how tail heavy (if at all) it is with the stock battery on the stock configuration.

Also realized the other day that boom supports really are a must so I need to order myself some thinner CF rod. I'm kicking myself for not thinking about this when I placed my order.

Here is a little experiment you can do to see what I mean (this should in theory be more defined with a solid CF rod for a boom)...
-Firmly hold the heli by the frame as best you can.
-Now, with 1 finger gently push the tail left to right, see how little force it takes to make it 'wag'? And did you notice that it has plenty of support up and down?

Yeh this is a problem because this heli can and does produce enough torque to actually offset the tail during flight... The only way to visually test this would be to set up a camera rig and film the heli top down over some sort of grid. I'm 100% certain that in flight the thing can flex up to 3 degrees in either direction... and this is not taking the natural flex of the CF tube into account.

The CF tube... well, it's pretty stiff on the s and y axis but it exhibits quite a bit of twist... I'm assuming the solid rod alleviates this problem but if you don’t mind can you just compare the two? I will also on my end but chances are we probably have CF rods from 2 different sources and all CF is not made equal so should be interesting.
I never literally checked my COG but solid rod and longer boom = more weight of coarse. How much you ask? I didn't weight it either lol, figured the problem it solved out "weighted" the actual weight gain so either way im stickin with this mod. I did just in case remove the tabs on the black plastic section on the batteries to allow them to slide a couple mm further forward to help out on the COG.

I do however get a VERY small amount of a twisting in the rod but nothing that has effected mine, I've banged sticks and can no longer get it to blow out...I've tried on purpose with 125% of travel and 90% pitch, its of coarse bogs easier but no tail blow out!

I forget off hand what brand of rod my lhs had, but when im off work ill post it to see if there's any differences from what others get...
Old 04-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #26 (permalink)
Blade Forum Support

Here is my video on the extended tail boom thanks Jskrapper.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDnJc58eJso&feature=channel_video_title[/ame]
tntburnett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 11:44 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Awesome job!! This really wakes this thing up doesn't it.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:23 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well I did it... actually I did a few small mods but the rest I will post in another thread tomorrow.

I extended the boom my 2 cm, actually I made 2 booms, one with the stock wire and another with 26 ga (like the 120SR). I had no luck with the 26ga wire, I got bad blow outs however I think it may have been a bad motor. I had a few laying around from he mSR so this may have been one of those dud motors, though it flew just fine otherwise.

The second boom was just an extension using the stock motor and wires, I gotta say it worked out great! I wouldnt say the piro rate got any faster, but the heli flys bigger and tail authority is certainly improved. The tail is actually snappy now... and another advantage? yep, flight times! about 30 seconds more in normal mode for me...

No I'm not crazy LOL, the motor has more leverage because the tail is longer thearfore less torque is required to exert the same amount of force (hence the better tail authority). Though technically more RPM is also required this is not a problem, electric motors run cooler/more efficiently at close to 100% output. The slightly higher RPM required is no problem for this little motor but the relief it gets from being strained less equates to slightly longer flight times for us... though I would bet its barely noticeable when pushing this little thing.

Anyway, here are some weight figures.... I was surprised.

Stock AUW: 45.25g
Stock dry: 38.35

AUW w. extended boom and 26 ga wire: 45.50g (.25 g difference)

Ok, heres where it gets sticky... as I made the second boom I also installed my new micro deans, added a rubber standoff to the PCB mount and a few other small things... so the next few weights are with additional equipment... keep that in mind.

AUW w. extended boom and stock wire: see below
w. stock eflite batt/adapter: 46.65
w. Hyperion 240mah LiPo: 46.55

"how the hell is the bigger battery lighter?" Micro deans remember... the adapter for the e-flite weighs .75g unfortunately. I gotta shave some weight off that little thing.

So overall I'm happy, it flies better and I only gained 1.2-1.3 grams (depending on the battery) after everything I added ... and I havnt even given it a weight reduction yet!

Here are a few pictures....

Old 04-07-2011, 12:29 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wow. Looks real clean with the pack behind the stand off. I like the style, and mine looks so haggard compared to yours.

Did you boil the landing gear?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:35 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jskrapper View Post
Wow. Looks real clean with the pack behind the stand off. I like the style, and mine looks so haggard compared to yours.

Did you boil the landing gear?
Nope used a heat gun! took 2 minutes to do...

More on the standoff tomorrow... good eye , that battery placement is all about raising the CoG... lucky for us the hyperion 240 is a perfect fit with a small mod.

You know, this little heli is surprisingly moddable and tunable is a weird tinkerer type of way.
And a weight reduction will make it shine!
Old 04-07-2011, 12:44 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
And a weight reduction will make it shine!

Drool. I have some plans for that too. Not much to lose, but every nanogram helps.

Shaving a single gram would be akin to going brushless,
Old 04-07-2011, 12:58 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got some freindly info, I took off more than a few grams
little here and there, and there, well about 7-8 grams later
its still underpowered, even with the 9t pinion, just for kicks I put a brand new motor in stock pinion, man that thing bogs if I look at it the right or wrng way
fusionsx00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionsx00 View Post
its still underpowered, even with the 9t pinion, just for kicks I put a brand new motor in stock pinion, man that thing bogs if I look at it the right or wrng way
Really? I don't think it is too underpowered in stock form. But then again, I come from the walkera micro area where underpowered is common. It sure doesn't beat the air into submission like my 700, but it has a decent power to weight ratio for what it is.

Just flying with the canopy off feels like it's a much improved or even different heli, but I don't like watching my heli fly in the nude.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
7-8 grams? Wholey cow that's huge! Where did you find it? lol
Old 04-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
7-8 grams? How? The frame doesnít even weigh that much, I donít see what you could have possibly removed to reduce the weight by 7 grams....
LOL please donít say you removed the canopy and the batteriesÖ were talking all up weight.

Pictures? How about some pictures on a scale?
Donít mean to be that guy but I call unless you prove it.

IMO, maybe 2-3 grams is possible without compromising the rigidity of the frame... most of this would come from grinding away at the motor can.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

At 7-8g lighter it has to be more agile, whether it still bogs or not. I'm glad mine only bogs when I'm hamfisted with it, sounds like your's is more boggy than mine.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
7-8 grams? How? The frame doesnít even weigh that much, I donít see what you could have possibly removed to reduce the weight by 7 grams....
LOL please donít say you removed the canopy and the batteriesÖ were talking all up weight.

Pictures? How about some pictures on a scale?
Donít mean to be that guy but I call unless you prove it.

IMO, maybe 2-3 grams is possible without compromising the rigidity of the frame... most of this would come from grinding away at the motor can.
I was thinking about being "that guy",

We will see when we have pics, until then like you said...
Old 04-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Where are you guys ordering the 2mm carbon rod from? Doesn't look like my LHS has any that small.
yamie700 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was going to ask the same thing. www.rcfoam.com sells it, but the 2mm solid rod is out of stock. Any other good, reasonably-priced sources online?
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes sir... I usually get building materials from www.towerhobbies.com and CF sheeting from www.robotmarketplace.com

Here is where you can find CF tubing/rods

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=RFZ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in