Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Power Loss at Full Collective

Not sure what going on here. When doing flips I lose power when hitting full collective?
This is in ideal up mode. Not sure if my motor is failing or my board is going bad? Any one had this issue?
I also noticed when hitting full collective my tail washes out, bad. I am running an extended tail.

Damn this Hobby
alpinepro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would check throttle curve and what switch idle up is setup for, have you always had the issue or is it just recently?
terryv83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ideal up curve is flat 100%. As per manual
This is a new issue?

Damn this Hobby
Old 10-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I noticed the same thing on my heli and I think it was because my pitch was out if wack. I noticed that on TH on mid stick my blades were not even close to zero pitch and my swash was totally messed up. Since I had too much positive pitch, the helicopter would always crash inverted... Hope that helped... Also clean servos and lubed bearings, motor bushings, etc are important in terms of power and smooth flying
bobblehead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you go into your monitoring screen in your dx6i and mimic the flip movements does the throttle dot stay in one spot, may be tx issue not mcpx. Would be good to know before you flip your other helis. If its not the tx I'm at a loss to what it could be sorry.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

By losing power you mean the motor is slowing or stopping right?
Old 10-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep,motor dies.

Damn this Hobby
Old 10-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anyone think it could be the motor? I did just started flipping, so not sure if I have always had this problem, but never knew it.

Damn this Hobby
Old 10-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

It may be the motor if its only on full collective, the blades may create enough resistance to stall out a worn motor, would explain tail washout too. Maybe try a new motor. I noticed you're having different issues with a 300 and assumed you fly them roughly the same, eliminating the tx as the issue.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah thinking new motor too. This damn hobby can nickel and dime ya!
Although it's so much fun

300X is another matter, although I think I figured it out. Fun bird for those thinking of getting one.

Damn this Hobby
Old 10-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I keep a spare motor and complete tail boom with tail motor on it in my spares. Have you tried the mcpx bl, awesome machine slightly more reliable motors. Talking about robbing you blind, wait till you outgrow the 300 and want a 500 now that things a blast if you have space.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lose power like you hear the motor slow down and the tail kicks out to the right? If so it just sounds like the bogging and tail blowout issues that everyone has with these. Easy on the collective, 75% pitch travel and you should be good to go. If I slam full positive-full negative, my tail will blow out, but in a nice controlled flip, I have no issues.
jmtyndall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I should reduce my throttle curve to 75%? My tail does kick to the right when I hit full collective. I guess that's standard. I am thinking I should go to the brush less for a 3D trainer. Thoughts on that?

Damn this Hobby
Old 10-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm pretty sure he said it stops completely, but yeah bogging does occur on this bird, I had a motor go out in a flip it had just enough power to fly but as soon as I tried any 3d down she came. If you fly the hell out of the mcpx you won't notice small degradation of the main, especially when it your first cp machine, brushed motors spinning this fast don't last long and only the best at collective management can keep a underpowered mcpx smooth. I say change the motor they're cheap, especially if it starting to get old. Not saying I don't agree with you, hell when I started flipping this as it was my first to flip I had blowouts, but if she's starting to get old, a new motor helped me heaps.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinepro View Post
So I should reduce my throttle curve to 75%? My tail does kick to the right when I hit full collective. I guess that's standard. I am thinking I should go to the brush less for a 3D trainer. Thoughts on that?
No, reduce pitch travel not curve to 75, if you do throttle it'll get worse. These are great 3d trainer because of the tail blowouts, they teach collective management.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

The mCP X is ALL about collective management.

And a great little teacher they are.
Häcksler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryv83 View Post
I'm pretty sure he said it stops completely, but yeah bogging does occur on this bird, I had a motor go out in a flip it had just enough power to fly but as soon as I tried any 3d down she came. If you fly the hell out of the mcpx you won't notice small degradation of the main, especially when it your first cp machine, brushed motors spinning this fast don't last long and only the best at collective management can keep a underpowered mcpx smooth. I say change the motor they're cheap, especially if it starting to get old. Not saying I don't agree with you, hell when I started flipping this as it was my first to flip I had blowouts, but if she's starting to get old, a new motor helped me heaps.

I missed the stopping completely part. I've had it bog hard enough that it sounded like it may have cut out, but it was just me being sloppy. My main motor is probably getting weak, but I can still flip and roll it nice and level. My batteries are certainly tired, and sometimes I have to ramp up to full negative to catch it.

That said, I keep a handful of spare motors around too.

Quote:
Pitch curve not throttle, reducing throttle will just make it worse.The tail kicking to the right is the helicopters way of telling you that you don't have to beat it like a cheap hooker. Gentle does it. On a flip, bump the collective up slightly, then ramp it down as the heli begins to come over. Don't do full flips, this heli won't do it flat. Half flips only.

Brushless can make the tail blowouts worse! I've been chasing my tail issues on my BL bird for a few weeks now, and I'm just getting them sorted out. With that said, don't go BL to learn 3d! The MCPX will teach you loads. The bigger helis and the brushless ones have the power to just crush through mistakes. The MCPX will teach you loads about timing, using just the right amount of control, collective management.

Trust me, it can be frustrating, but eventually it will come. Took me about 4 weeks to learn to hover in all orientations. By week 6 I was trying flips, week 8 I was flipping, but losing tons of altitude, and now I'm flipping nice and flat about 90% of the time. Countless crashes involved. You'll progress in a similar fashion I would imagine. The first time I flipped flat, I thought I had made a mistake, but when I saw the results, I made and adjustment and now I'm flipping very consistently, as low as 3 feet off the ground. I get excited every time, so worth it, I promise.
jmtyndall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #18 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Don't ever reduce the throttle curve. You need all the power you can get!

You need to do these things:

-Get a more powerful tail motor. I use a 7mm tail motor and a homemade 4 bladed tail rotor.
-Make 0 pitch at mid stick.
-Once you have 0 at mid stick, go into travel adjust (while in throttle hold!) and turn the pitch travel down to 85-90% both ways. This will prevent blow out and bogging the motor as bad.

Fly!
BladeScraper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine started doing it too, only on full collective, but I need to say that I changed the stock motor wire to 20 gauge and noticed more power. Also running stretched tail with 120 tail motor and 130x main blades cut to 125mm. Maybe it's just putting to much current to the esc because it just stops and dies with no blue light.
Macaco2512 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaco2512 View Post
Maybe it's just putting to much current to the esc because it just stops and dies with no blue light.
They do have a auto reset circuit breaker that will shut off current to the board to protect the circuitry. Mainly to keep current spikes from roasting stuff in a crash under full power, but your setup is pushing the envelope on its threshold.
Häcksler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in