Back in the Hobby - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you are new to HF, please tell us a little bit about yourself. What Helis do you fly? You will find our community very friendly, why not break the ice and introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2017, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Back in the Hobby

Hello from AZ, my name is Brian. I started with a Cricket in 1996, eventually moved to 30 size Shuttle. Moved to TRex 450 in 2010. It was stolen shortly after.

Iím looking to buy a 450 or bigger and trying to manage cost. An improbable task.
Bahgl1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2017, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi and welcome!

I think there is a healthy amount of pilots in Arizona who could help. I don't know how far away you are from a cluster but you can check the AMA (Academy or Model Aeronatics) to find a club near you.

The Align brand of helicopters is very inexpensive if you already how to build and setup a heli. Get a used 450 or even the new 470 (plastic edition) and it can get you on the air provided you already have some build/setup knowledge. If not I like to recommend the Blade 230S which is very beginner oriented and inexpensive.

Sorry for having one stolen that is really bad. I think cost can be well managed if you stick to that one model to learn all the basics. Aligns are inexpensive. Another good option I keep hearing is the Gaui X3. Keep those models bone stock plastic and your crash costs will be low. Just don't jump into model after model that's when it gets expensive.

Here is something that hopefully can bring you up to speed on today's heli world and options.

Goblins: 500 Sport (Ghost) / 420 (Panthro) / 380 (Yellowbird - dead) / DX9 BE & DX6 G2 / [Citizen 755]
Team Pilot: SAB USA YouTube: Co-Host: Full Pitch RC Heli Podcast
toadiscoil is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you for the tips. I found a 4 month old 470LP with 6 batteries. It flies very nice. Finally got the rescue bailout set up, that was confusing assigning a switch. A local guy is going to meet me this week to check over my setup to ensure I?m optimizing capability for a non 3D pilot. I have pulled two large loops. This horsepower is new to me. Hirobo Shuttle and TRex 450 never had this much power.
Bahgl1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2017, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 470L is a great option for re-entry and, yes, motors tend to be sized for 3D these days. (And electric motors are just way more powerful...) If you want more flight time and lazier flight, you can always down-size the pinion, or even run it on 4s.

Also, I would encourage you not to think of yourself as a "non-3D pilot". There are advantages to becoming a better pilot by focusing on all flight orientations (i.e. inverted and tail-first, not just upright forward.) When you get those nailed, you will be able to better handle almost any situation your heli might throw at you.

Orientations also happen to provide the foundation you need for 3D moves. Whether you go on to learn some of those is something you can decide when you get there. I like knowing there will always be something new I can learn, and the more you learn, the bigger your base of comfortable and relaxing flight. All of this helps keep the hobby fresh, at least for me.

Welcome back!
Compass Atom 5.5; Oxy 2/3
XK K110 K120
Wargamer is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.