Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What helped the most while learning?

Spending a couple of weeks on orientations and piro hovering has dramatically increased my skill. I seem to be going down the route of practice first on sim then work with the helicopter ( mCPx at the moment. ) While I'm working on the helicopter I tend to just have fun on the sim doing things way beyond my skill level. Now that I've got my orientations down and can zip the little mCPx around my house fairly crash free, I think it's time to move onto something new in the sim.

So what type of practice techniques seem to help the most, and what should I work on next?

Kind of torn between working on sideways and backwards flight or inverted hovering. Got my FFF down in the sim with combiations of rolls and flips and will probably start working on that stuff outdoors. Can do something that could liberally be described as a tic toc in the sim, but I think I might be getting ahead of my self there.
TheQuixote is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Backwards flight and funnels. Upright and inverted.
AcidDrink is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Go with über simple stuff. There aren't many shortcuts, but what works best for me is learning to [I]recover[I] from a given situation or orientation. At the very least, I don't crash as much and reacting in a given orientation is the best foundation for actual maneuvers.

Of course, hovering teaches you to get a feel for what the helicopter is doing and how to make it do something else.
morebeer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

i agree with backwards and funnels, but nothing more complex than inverted hovering. spend a lot of time concentrating on inverted hovering. don't rush it
RĒzĒ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I work with an instructor.

I get the impression that most guys here learned on their own.

I can't imagine doing this on my own.

With an instructor on the buddy box, I am fearless.

I can try things way beyond my comfort zone, and the instructor will tell me what I did wrong.

I just graduated from hovering to forward flight and figure 8s.

285 flights and one crash...there would have been many more crashes without the instructor.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Follow the IRCHA pilot proficiency series 1-7, they've laid out a skills too advance from spectator to expert in seven easy to follow programs.
Scott1115 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 03:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RĒzĒ View Post
i agree with backwards and funnels, but nothing more complex than inverted hovering. spend a lot of time concentrating on inverted hovering. don't rush it
True (I assumed OP had all orientations down, I should have read his post carefully)
No need to learn any bail out moves after mastering stationary inverted piro hovers . It certainly takes a lot of time tho.

p.s. MpVp, It took an instructor 285 flights to teach you how to hover and do figure 8 and FF? Please don't get me wrong, but something is wrong with that instructor.
AcidDrink is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 03:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

When I stopped thinking about how much it might cost if I crashed, I started to progress much much faster.
nexgen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 03:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1115 View Post
Follow the IRCHA pilot proficiency series 1-7, they've laid out a skills too advance from spectator to expert in seven easy to follow programs.

Where does one find this series of lessons or "guidelines"?

Whats FFF?
Whats mCPx
CyberPlainsDrifter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPlainsDrifter View Post
Where does one find this series of lessons or "guidelines"?

Whats FFF?
Whats mCPx
Here.

Diviner Gregg

FPV Racing Channel . . . new episode every other Friday
Diviner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPlainsDrifter View Post
Whats FFF?
Whats mCPx
FFF = Fast Forward Flight
MCPX = http://hobbyalley.com/store/product/...ade-mCP-X-RTF/
Old 04-30-2011, 02:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Jahmer!, DKS!!
CyberPlainsDrifter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Dean at Norburn Hobbies in Burnaby BC is waiting on a shipment of those funky little machines... his price is much better than the good folks in Edmonton though. I think he said 179.00 for a BnF. I'll wait..

DKS, thanks for pointing out what it was... I never would have known.. looks like some good indoor fun!

Cheers! Rich
Old 05-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's 179.99 for a bind 'n fly here too, the link was to an RTF version Indeed, good indoor fun, can't wait to get my hands on one. I got an opportunity to fly one and surprisingly very stable even in some wind which I would never have expected from such a tiny beast.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Are the blade grips metal or plastic? I think I saw some that looked like they were made from Aluminum.... Not sure if they were after market or stock.... How much radio set up is needed to invert?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't own one (yet ) so I really can't say, but I would suspect standard sort of setup as for any CP heli. Have to have pitch curve setup for negative and a flat throttle curve so you don't kill power once inverted. All the stock equipment on the mcpx's is plastic, so if you DID see aluminum, it was aftermarket bling.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

mCP x manual comes with recommended settings for the DX6i 7 and 8.

The manual recomends D/R expo settings of 70-30 or 100-30 for the aileron and elevators. I found that to be way too high while learning to fly indoors and ended up at 40-30. Since then I've worked may way up and am comfortable flying the bird around with D/R expo at 100-10.

Great little helicopter for a first time CP. Can get a lot of flight time in quickly and you can safely be a lot more aggressive then you could be with a 400 or bigger size helicopter.

And thanks for all the links
Old 05-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Where we can found IRCHA heli lessons?

Have you any link?
gfdimopo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

This post had the link to IRCHA Pilot Proficiency Program
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahmer View Post
I've been learning that being able to hot dog around and react to the helicopter doesn't really mean I can control it. Having very strict goals like this are helpful.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Everyone is different but for me, the absolute most useful thing (especially when I began to move into - for me - for advanced moves) was to keep hammering orientations every time, without fail, even if you think you're all over it, and just keep on doing it. I'm nearly at 18 months in the hobby and don't really think about orientation anymore (except some inverted) but I still start every flight on the sim with a four-point hover, then a piro hover in both directions for as long as I can be bothered or until it turns pear-shaped. Then it's off to have fun/drill other things. Once I became more confident I added a few quick laps around the F3C box on Phoenix at least once in every practice session - doing it sideways taught me funnels. : )

I just think it has helped so much as when I learn more advanced tricks (like piroflips now - so hard!) orientation is never a problem. For example, I can do my messy half piroflips nose-in to see a different angle and don't have to worry about mapping stick movements first - it's more or less the same as tail-in.

So I;d hammer orientation constantly, even if you know you've got it down. Because you still get better, faster and more instinctive. : )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in