Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 05:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Curtis Youngblood Injured

Ouch!

http://www.allmyrc.com/forums/blogs/...e-4-27-11.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by helivig
Today was a very interesting day. I started out working on the fuse at the farm along with Brian. I then left Brian working on the fuse while i went out to do some FAI flying.

Since it was a windy day I felt it would be a good day to work some on the FAI setup. There are quite a few people around the world flying and tweaking the ENV for FAI flying right now and they are passing along ideas on getting the most out of the machine.

So i decided to give some of their suggestions a test for myself and see how it works. The main thing I tried today was a longer flybar just to see how it does. For me, I preferred the stock flybar. On my setup the stock flybar just sat a little better in the rough air.

I was just setting the machine down on a table inside the building when in heard a kind of popping sound. I turned around to see a battery pack swelling and opening up like a fan. I ran over and started unplugging it as fast as i could. I grabbed the pack and started to throw it out the door when I saw the balance leads were still hooked up. So i raced to unplug those as well otherwise it would have pulled the rest of the chargers and batteries with it and likely would have not made it out the door. Once I had them unplugged I grabbed the pack to throw it out. At that moment it exploded into flames in my hand. I continued my throwing motion getting it out of the building.

It landed in the field and continued to burn up. It also caught the grass on fire and I ran around stomping out the fire. I also called Brian and asked him to run me down a bag of ice I knew was in the freezer down at the building. I had to stay down at the field to make sure the field did not catch on fire again as we have not had rain in a long time and it is very easy to cause a big grass fire. Before Brian got down to me, I stuck my hand in the freezer of the small fridge we have at the small flying building.

Once he got to the building with the ice I put my hand on the ice and drove the 30 minutes to the emergency room. Making the long story short, I have ended up going to the Burn Center in Galveston TX. I have second and possibly third degree burns on my left hand. It is possible I might need surgery to repair some of the damage. But we will not really know until tomorrow.

I made several mistakes that lead to this. One I started using some of my old packs again so I could get more flights in a row without stopping. When I get home I will order more of the TP 65C packs so I can use all new packs. I also was not charging the batteries in a BBQ pit like I recommend. If I had been charging them in the BBQ pit I could have just closed the lid and let them burn out. From now on they will be in a pit or on concrete period.

One of the things I was thinking about during all this was that I only had 18 days left in my Daily Rave and it looks like I might miss a day because of this. I know in the end that is a minor issue. I will make sure my hand is fixed first, but just one of those things.

The other is I will likely miss Mayday this weekend. There is some small chance I can make it but it is not likely. And actually, I think I missed last years Mayday because I had a tooth break or something like that last year. So it seems that planning on attending Mayday has been hazardous to my health. If I do not make it, sorry to all the guys going to the event.

Electric ENV - 3

Total RUN2 - 1261

Left in Run2 - 19 days

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blog%201.jpg
Views:	6056
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	224768   Click image for larger version

Name:	blog%202.jpg
Views:	8822
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	224769   Click image for larger version

Name:	blog%203.jpg
Views:	5994
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	224770  

Last edited by Bob O; 04-28-2011 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: add quote to reflect actual author
Blink 182 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2011, 06:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

euuuu... looks pretty bad.

Hopefully he won't need surgery and its just a bunch of blisters.

Oh the pain... he's gonna be on pain medication... no flying.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OUCHY!!
Old 04-28-2011, 06:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

hurts seeing that. -> Should be also a warning to all who think they can charge their LiPos without proper protection.

As it is you can go without issues thousands of times - it only take the one time.
im4711 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 06:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I hope Curtis feels better and does not need surgery.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to see that happened, looks like I need to put a fire blanket next to the charger from now
aleung is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm sorry to hear about this, I hope he's ok.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

Well at least it was just his left hand. He flies the entire helicopter with his right anyways.

Just kidding there Curtis. That really does suck. Hope you get better real soon and that surgery is not necessary, but if it is all goes well.

Get better soon.
RĒzĒ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That sucks. Wishing him a speedy recovery.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Second degree burns on the hands are VERY painful. Ask me how I know...

Get well soon, Curtis!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Damn man I'm sorry for ur injuries.. Get well soon!!
lildjloop is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

First: Get well soon Curtis. Hope you make a full recovery. People may think saying that is kinda silly but burns like that could do permanent damage to the nerves in the hand and feeling could be lost.

Second: This should be included in the Electric vs Nitro debates. It's a very real hazard.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

ouch, got this e-mail from my mom. It may help someone out next time something like this happens. It does work

A woman's experience with burns . . ..
Some time ago I was cooking some corn and stuck my fork in the boiling water to see if the corn was ready. I missed and my hand went into the boiling water.... A friend of mine, who was a Vietnam vet, came into the house, just as I was screaming, and asked me if I had some plain old flour... I pulled out a bag and he stuck my hand in it.* He told me to keep my hand in the flour for 10 minutes which I did. He said that in Vietnam, there was a guy on fire and in their panic, they threw a bag of flour all over him to put the fire out...Well, it not only put the fire out, but he never even had a blister!!!!
... Long story short, I put my hand in the bag of flour for 10 mins, pulled it out and did not even have a red mark or a blister and absolutely NO PAIN.* Now, I keep a bag of flour in the fridge and every time I burn myself. *Cold flour feels even better than room temperature flour.
I use the flour and have never ONCE had I ever had even a red spot/burn mark, or a blister!* I even burnt my tongue once, put the flour on it for about 10 minutes ... the pain was gone and no burn.
Try it . . . Experience a miracle! Keep a bag of flour in your fridge and you will be happy you did!*
BTW, don't run your burn area under cold water first, just put it directly into the flour for 10 minutes.
Magooch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ouch.. that looks extremely painful!

As I read his story about seeing it swell, trying to unplug it, then trying to chuck it outside.. is pretty much exactly what I would have done in that scenario. Hopefully none of the burns are more severe than second degree.

Im not gonna put flour on any burns any time soon. It sounded odd so I went to the all knowing google and... http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/med...ome-Remedy.htm

Wurger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magooch View Post
ouch, got this e-mail from my mom. It may help someone out next time something like this happens. It does work (oh really???)

A woman's experience with burns . . ..
Some time ago I was cooking some corn and stuck my fork in the boiling water to see if the corn was ready. I missed and my hand went into the boiling water.... A friend of mine, who was a Vietnam vet, came into the house, just as I was screaming, and asked me if I had some plain old flour... I pulled out a bag and he stuck my hand in it.* He told me to keep my hand in the flour for 10 minutes which I did. He said that in Vietnam, there was a guy on fire and in their panic, they threw a bag of flour all over him to put the fire out...Well, it not only put the fire out, but he never even had a blister!!!!
... Long story short, I put my hand in the bag of flour for 10 mins, pulled it out and did not even have a red mark or a blister and absolutely NO PAIN.* Now, I keep a bag of flour in the fridge and every time I burn myself. *Cold flour feels even better than room temperature flour.
I use the flour and have never ONCE had I ever had even a red spot/burn mark, or a blister!* I even burnt my tongue once, put the flour on it for about 10 minutes ... the pain was gone and no burn.
Try it . . . Experience a miracle! Keep a bag of flour in your fridge and you will be happy you did!*
BTW, don't run your burn area under cold water first, just put it directly into the flour for 10 minutes.
I could barley read that whole "story". It wreaks of a bad email chain letter (which it is)

http://www.snopes.com/medical/homecure/flourburns.asp
RĒzĒ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The part about the balance taps connected just solidified my hatred of TP style balance connectors. If it wasn't for those stupid things, he could have just chucked it and been fine. Any other connectors would have just pulled free. TP connectors lock together, and being in pairs just makes it even more cumbersome. Personally, I trim off the locking tabs on the TP connectors, so they will pull free easily.

JST-XH connectors would have saved him from this burn.
ErichF is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've heard of flour being used to locate wet spots but never for burns. I'm still trying to get my truck door to unlock by getting my wife to hold her remote next to her cellphone LOL

HTC EVO 4G baby.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErichF View Post
The part about the balance taps connected just solidified my hatred of TP style balance connectors. If it wasn't for those stupid things, he could have just chucked it and been fine. Any other connectors would have just pulled free. TP connectors lock together, and being in pairs just makes it even more cumbersome. Personally, I trim off the locking tabs on the TP connectors, so they will pull free easily.

JST-XH connectors would have saved him from this burn.
+1 for jst-xh connectors....no need for locking connectors

but I do think that charging in some sort of fireproof container is the moral of the story....if he hadn't seen it happening it sounds like it would have started a much bigger fire.
vanillagorilla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fire Hot....

UJSTIN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

not nice ! but still on place !!!
LOGO 500
DX7
skru is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in