Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default newbe with a blade sr

I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if my question has been asked over and over again.

I can fly the blade cx2 successfully, so I "upgraded" to the Blade SR.
I managed to hover for a short time on my first flight. That session ended in a crash that broke the frame. A local hobby shop rebuilt it.
The second flight ended the same way. I bought a cnc frame and had the hobby guys fine tune everything to make sure that it was flight ready.
The next flight didn't go well either, resulting in a bent tail boom.
Yesterday's flight wasn't good. I had a few brief moments of hovering until a crash bent the boom again.
My local hobby guy says that the SR is a very good copter. He thinks that I would have better luck on a Blade 400. He says that the 400 would handle the learning curve much better.
I really want to be able to fly these things, but need to experience at least SOME success.

what do yall think? Would a different copter be easier to learn on?
ord27 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Usually the bigger a helicopter is, the easier it is to hover. Flying it around won't be a HUGE difference from one machine to another when it comes to the principles, but there will be a difference in how they react to your inputs depending on the quality, components etc. I started CP helis with a Blade SR as well, looking back, I wish I would have saved a couple hundred more and gotten the Blade 400. While neither machine is alot to RAVE about, I think they are both good training helis and the 400 RTF gets you a transmitter that I ended up going out and buying anyway. The SR is far simpler in that it has a motored tail rather than a belt and the setup of that alone makes it much easier to dive into this hobby. I don't believe it's your machine that's holding you back so much as perhaps you may have expected the heli to behave differently, more stable maybe. I know I did, and I crashed fairly quickly with mine as well. But, with patience, the help of others on this site and practice, I got the hang of hovering. Only thing I can suggest is get a SIM!!! While it may not translate every aspect of flying these things directly to real life experience, it will give you foundational muscle memory to make the multiple stick corrections required to get hovering. I didn't think I would need a sim at first, but after crashing three or four times and spending as much as a decent sim in repairs, I got one and was a great help. Keep in mind that the SR is a collective pitch and by it's very nature requires CONSTANT input/correction to keep it in a decent hover. A fixed pitch heli (like your coax cx2) is self stabilizing for the most part. Compare it to a ball and a bowl. Flying a fixed pitch is like balancing the ball inside the bottom of the bowl, not much work there. Flying collective pitch is like taking the ball out of the bowl, turning the bowl over and balancing the ball on the bottom of the upside down bowl. A little more difficult... I encourage you to stick with your SR, you already have it and it really can be used for the basics quite well. Jump into the SR forum if you have any questions, there's alot of helpful guys there. Good luck and have fun!!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

thanks for the response! The frustrating thing is that I do work on the simulator and can hover and fly around just fine. I might reconsider putting it down and do the repairs.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, what I can say is that this hobby is rewarding. Not cheap, but rewarding. So often it seems success is completely out of reach, but with patience, time and practice, I've found I have acheived every goal I set for myself. Granted they aren't huge goals, but never-the-less, goals. There can be a huge difference between the sim and real flight, especially with the SR. If I may ask you a few questions, do you have the flybar weights on and where are they? Are you using high or low dual rates? If you're flying OK on the sim but it's not translating for you, it's quite likely your heli isn't responding quite the same way. I know alot of other SR owners who find with the stock setup that they are really chasing the heli around as it is sluggish to respond when you get into some trouble. If you feel your heli isn't responding the way you would like, PM me and I can throw you a few pointers to make it a bit better representation of what you may be experiencing on the sim. You'll get it, just need some time
Old 03-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks
I do have flybars. 2 in the center on each side, and one at each end.
I use the low dual rate.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As far as a heli to learn on? Blade mSR..mainly cause it's tough, and fairly cheap.
And of course your SIM.

BUT>>>>>

Hold up!!! Back Up!!!

NOWHERE did I hear the word "Training Gear" in your post.

The First Commandment: Thou SHALL have training gear!

Get the proper training gear, put it on and leave it on until you can do ALL of the following:
Get each one down solid (run out of batteries) before you move on.

1.Get the bird "light on the skids" but STILL on the ground, and keep it in one place with no movement. Don't move on until you can do this.
Then practice 2d movements: move left,right, forward, back, nose left, nose right.

Then move to LOW altitude (knee-high MAX) practice.

2. Hover tail-in (do this A LOT), at nose left, nose right, and nose in, for 30 seconds EACH.

3. Fly in circles,keeping the tail facing you , in both directions. REAL circles. Not something that looks like a broken egg.

4. Turn right 45 degrees and fly to your right at 45 degrees for about ten feet. Slowly turn left, and do the same thing.

When all these things are ROCK SOLID then, try them SHOULDER HIGH.

THEN..and ONLY then, take off your training gear, and re-start at Number 2.

We all "get it" that you want to paint the sky, but SIM time is just that: a simulation.
Without lots of time on the basics, you'll only wind up painting the grass,and doing LOTS of repairs. FUN...but not THE fun.

We all know where you're at.We've all been there.

Preparation, Practice, Patience.

The root cause of ALL crashes: Lack of preparation.
Blade-T-Rex-Tarot- 450 and under-DX6-AMA#977655
intro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 12:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks intro!
I am in the process of rebuilding her. I am going to use the fuel hose as the dampners and have a dx7 on the way.
I am going to take your advice and am going to start at baby step #1.
Can you describe or show video of the nose in hovers?
thanks for th post!
Old 03-29-2011, 08:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey! I started flying CP with an SR also, coming from an mSR. I would say the 400 won't help you progress at this point so stick with the SR until you are able to fly, then think about upgrading. The SR is pretty tough and will take some light crashes, it is a bit easier cheaper to maintain/rebuild than a 400 too. One thing I learned with the SR, it is not any easier to fly than a 400/450, but if you can fly it you can fly anything.

You are already using a sim, which is good. What kind is it? Does it allow you to adjust the stability? If you are easily flying the sim then adjust the stability down. I use phoenix which I think is excellent. Phoenix has a model for the SR in it.

Also, training gear already mentioned. Good for beginning to hover. I didn't get on with training gear as I kept looking at the balls and sticks rather than the disk. If you use training gear dont watch the balls, stick to watching the disk or the mast. Reason being that the mast and disk move ahead of the model first, balls and sticks move behind the model.

I think nobody has yet mentioned Radds school of rotory flight. This is highly recommended for beginners. http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html

I would say not to worry about nose in just yet. Intro has suggested a rather comprehensive and different training plan which will last you a while. Don't try any nose in until you are totally comfortable with tail in and side in hovering. You'll also need to start feeling comfortable having the heli away from you and up higher before you try nose in, I would suggest.

I'm debating the recommendation to keep the training at knee height and doing circles, nose in etc. You will need to get the heli out of ground effect at least, and for the more complex stuff like nose in I would say getting up high will give you space to make errors and recover.

Personally I'd suggest keeing it low for basic hovering, and get comfortable hovering it gradually higher and higher until you are at about 10 feet or so, then move on from the tail in hover to things like side in, nose in, forward flight etc.

Good luck, stick with it, and try to see rebuilding the heli as part of the learning curve. It is a stretch to say it is a fun part of the hobby for me, but I know some really enjoy this aspect.
Pigskin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Blade SR

I really agree with what's posted here. I went from CP to MSR to SR (and really learned to fly on it). Then I went to a B400, CopterX450 and Trex 500. By far the SR is the hardest to fly as it doesn't have the stability of the others but it also is fast, easy and cheap to repair. As was said, if you can fly the SR can fly anything. It forces you to stay ahead of it which is the key to flying.
I would spend time learning to fix it and look for the tricks that make it easier to repair (like using a B400 flybar to push out a bent feathering shaft).
I spent about a month on training gear and went through the RADD school (It's pretty obnoxious but it works) as well as all of Mikies courses on YouTube. The problem is that if you are zooming up to frame cracking heights and crashing, you aren't getting the stick time to develop the muscle memory and instinctive control input to learn to have it go where you intend to.
I still fly the SR a lot and then when I go to the bigger heli's (especially the 500) it's like having a Rolls Royce on the interstate. For my money, the SR is a great learner and a fun anytime helicopter. I'd take the courses, get the sim and the training gear and practice, practice, practice. At a point you notice that you aren't having to "think" your stick movements and then you're getting the hang of it. That's why I fly helicopters and don't golf at night.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

my first heli was a blade sr...i never once could fly it without crashing...so i saved up and got a trex 450 sport..sooo much easier to fly...learned a lot on that, and now i have a trex 550 fbl
Scured is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

ord27, It sounds like you and I are at the same point on the learning curve. I too have concidered going up to a bigger bird, but after reading this, I think it might be better to stick with the total pig of a 300 I'm using now.
Sir Crashallot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2011, 12:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Newbee

Hi everyone,
I'm from Singapore, newly joined this forum. I own a Honey Bee King 3. Still trying to get the hang of it.
Read alot on how to do the set-ups. Roughly manage to set-up the pitch & swash plate. Training kit strapped on. Sliding on the floor here & there. Still trying to get my hands on a good flight simulator before trying to fly the real bird.
Any good advice & tips is much appreciated.

NewGuy
mohdaliibrahim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

http://www.phoenix-simv3.com/default.asp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in