Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree219Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #1821 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm thinking about getting some of that SimCarbon. I saw someone post they found those 2' x 5' rolls somewhere in the USA for $12. Which is amazing being SimCarbon is a USA based company and on their site the 2 x 5 roll is $19.99. Which still isn't horrible. But who ever found that $12 roll, I'd like to know where.
Integrity Handywork is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2015, 06:00 PM   #1822 (permalink)
Registered Users

I normally only charge two packs at a time, so this works for me. 2x 6s 5000 takes about 15mins at 30amps. And now all my packs fit either the Trex 700 or the Goblin 700 with the KDE battery tray system. The little switch on the front is to turn on the fans that I installed in the back of the box, if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	563736  
ranchhand is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2015, 06:03 PM   #1823 (permalink)
Registered Users

Inside, the two server power supplies are under the tray. I can also remove the tray and charge from my truck battery if I don't feel like getting the generator out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	563737  
ranchhand is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2015, 10:35 PM   #1824 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got my top panel finished :-)

Little bit more work and she'll be all done :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
corrosionate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #1825 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice! Looks just like the cowl on the "Spirit of St.Louis". Did you do the "spotting" or "Engine-Turning" yourself on a drill press or something? Or did you send it to a machine shop or someone to do for you?

Looks sharp either way!
Integrity Handywork is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2015, 09:31 AM   #1826 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks! I did it myself using a drill press. I used the 2" round scotch-brite type abrasive pads with a drill chuck adapter. Piece of cake. I did it by hand and eyeball. Next time I do one I might try to measure and mark a grid first for alignment, but hell, there's so much going on when you look at the thing in the light, it's hard to spot the imperfections. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.

It's pretty smooth to the touch still. I tried with a wire wheel first, but it dug in too deep. It created a rough surface and didn't leave the swirls shiny like that. Now it's like a hologram moving all around when you tilt it around.

I'm happy :-D

Old 01-20-2015, 09:34 AM   #1827 (permalink)

My HF Map location

That looks so cool
BladeScraper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #1828 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanx! I hope to have pics up in a few days of the finished product. Gotta make a vertical divider.

I "jeweled" an extra, smaller piece of aluminum to cut later for that purpose, but since it'll be underneath, and hidden, I may just do myself a favor and make the divider from textured black ABS instead. So much easier and less messy to work with, especially when under the panel won't be seen much anyway. Besides, the bottom side of the aluminum panel still has the reflective printed road sign layer on it, which will be difficult to remove, lol.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:54 AM   #1829 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I envy your case mate, good job

I need to build me a case and get me a good charger, but I really need to finish my 700 first
BladeScraper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2015, 09:54 AM   #1830 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosionate View Post
Thanks! I did it myself using a drill press. I used the 2" round scotch-brite type abrasive pads with a drill chuck adapter. Piece of cake. I did it by hand and eyeball. Next time I do one I might try to measure and mark a grid first for alignment, but hell, there's so much going on when you look at the thing in the light, it's hard to spot the imperfections. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.

It's pretty smooth to the touch still. I tried with a wire wheel first, but it dug in too deep. It created a rough surface and didn't leave the swirls shiny like that. Now it's like a hologram moving all around when you tilt it around.

I'm happy :-D

While you can see the things you might think were mistakes. All anyone else sees is a finish that isn't just plain. Like you said, it's almost hologram like. Good Job!
Old 01-20-2015, 10:57 AM   #1831 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Post your charger case

Thanks fellas! It exceeded my expectations, but it's always great to hear that others like it as well. :-)

Now I hate to cover some of it up by mounting my chargers to it :-/ lol!

Edit: throw in a couple new pics...

Last edited by corrosionate; 01-21-2015 at 08:51 AM..
Old 01-21-2015, 11:29 PM   #1832 (permalink)
Registered Users

Added a 60amp DC circuit breaker for the charger it itself. This allows the Power supplies to come online and voltage to settle. I flip out the plexi charging wings and it allows access to the switch. I cap the "off" button with a hollowed out T-plug cap to prevent accidental shutdown by being bumped while charging.

I am pretty happy with my unique setup. you don't see wooden charging stations often..

The LED light in the bottem tray shows me there is power at the PSU. The silver switch on the top left deck controls the red cooling fans. Finished it off with some decals and Simulated Carbonfiber vinyl. That stuff is awesome!

So I think I am FINALLY done.
Old fasion, new technology charging station

Bolted the eyelets and than covered with hot glue to prevent any accidental shorting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	station complete..jpg
Views:	6996
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	564215   Click image for larger version

Name:	breaker close.jpg
Views:	2712
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	564216  
* G700c BRAIN2 * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #1833 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, final pics. I need to add a rubber grommet where the wires go through, Velcro the Chargers down, and a couple zip ties underneath, but this is essentially the finished product. In pretty happy with how it turned out, given the low budget and minimal time spent on it. Now I just have to run it and do some charging to ensure its cooling sufficiently under load. These 80mm fans don't seem to be moving a whole lot of air :-/

Old 01-23-2015, 12:32 PM   #1834 (permalink)
Registered Users

LOL.
Wow...flipped through a couple pages on this thread...and I started to wonder - do I need to have a degree in electrical engineering to fly rc heli's??
Seriously, some of these are truly impressive...I am indeed curious to know what your backgrounds are such that you are able to craft these mobile power stations.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:56 PM   #1835 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Post your charger case

My background is in electronics/DC circuits and corrosion/metallurgy, plus I just like to cut and weld and build stuff for fun ;-). I spent 5 years as an MECP certified mobile electronics installer doing custom audio, video, security in cars boats and semi trucks, golf carts.... Even installed a stereo in a beer cooler once :-D

I'm certainly no engineer though. Not good enough with math for that. I can count, and I'm good with Ohms law and Watts law. Other than that, I just can't seem to grasp much math. Dyslexia I reckon.

Though a lot can be learned in the RC hobby actually. The electrical stuff is pretty easy if you understand the fundamentals. The fabrication stuff is where it takes the right tools, right supplies and some practice. Certainly something anyone can do if they put their mind and wallet to it ;-)

I'm a bit curious about some of the other guys' backgrounds as well. I agree there are some super impressive builds. Mine is one of the simplest cases here. It's mainly due to budget constraints. As much as I'd like to get carried away, right now I just need something that'll do the job and look tidy.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #1836 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHeliAddict View Post
LOL.
Wow...flipped through a couple pages on this thread...and I started to wonder - do I need to have a degree in electrical engineering to fly rc heli's??
Seriously, some of these are truly impressive...I am indeed curious to know what your backgrounds are such that you are able to craft these mobile power stations.
yea last night I was going through some of the pages of this thread. We should all really give ourselves a HUGE pat on the back. Our work pays off big time and most people can only dream of building stuff like this. My cousin saw my box and could have sworn I purchased it for 500+ dollars. I showed him some of the 1000$ choices on ProgressiveRC and he was baffled at how much they cost.

You guys are all genius
* G700c BRAIN2 * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2015, 07:54 PM   #1837 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relisys190 View Post
yea last night I was going through some of the pages of this thread. We should all really give ourselves a HUGE pat on the back. Our work pays off big time and most people can only dream of building stuff like this. My cousin saw my box and could have sworn I purchased it for 500+ dollars. I showed him some of the 1000$ choices on ProgressiveRC and he was baffled at how much they cost.

You guys are all genius
+1

Certainly beyond my scope for sure...I would find it easier to buy some extra batteries, charge 'em and bring 'em to the flying site - end of story...
Old 01-24-2015, 09:04 AM   #1838 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a question for you guys that fabbed a deck for your case. I have a seahorse(PRC) case and bought a sheet of acrylic, but seem to be having trouble making a template, due to the part that the deck would sit on is more on the inside. Any help?
mattwb18 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2015, 10:17 AM   #1839 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwb18 View Post
I have a question for you guys that fabbed a deck for your case. I have a seahorse(PRC) case and bought a sheet of acrylic, but seem to be having trouble making a template, due to the part that the deck would sit on is more on the inside. Any help?
I will give you a simple way to template out a outside edge cut for your board using simple tools.

Step 1: Go to your local hardware store and purchase a 1/2" thick sheet of construction insulation foam. It is usually a blue or pink sheet of Styrofoam brand foam. The sheet is usually about $12-$15 and is something like 4' x 8'. So you can fold it up or have them cut it or whatever you have to do to get it home. If you can find smaller sheets somewhere, that would probably be better. Because your only going to use a small square of this big sheet.

Step 2: Make sure you have a dust mask or respirator on. This stuff sands and cuts easy. But lots of particles go into the air.

Step 3: Using a new razor in a razor knife/box cutter. Cut a square of the foam just a bit larger than the box you will be using.

Step 4: Begin trimming the foam using a razor knife and sand paper to get it into the shape you want.

Once you have the foam cut out to the shape you want. Place it over your acrylic sheet and trace it out. Then cut your acrylic sheet on a band saw or use something like a Dremel or router. It would probably be best to use sharpie marker to do your outline and DO NOT cut the ink lines off the acrylic sheet. Instead leave some of your line so that you have extra material you can later sand down by hand to fit perfectly.

That is just how i would get the outside trace done. After that you can also use the foam to template out any cuts for equipment etc. This is a cheap easy way that has worked for me with other things. The foam is just easy to shape and is firm enough to use as a stencil or template.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #1840 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a Seahorse case as well, the 920 I think it is. I used some cardboard. I got the rough shape, as I have a lip that the top half of the case comes down and makes a water tight seal on. Holding the cardboard from moving, I was able to use a pencil to trace the insides of the case. I did that for half the case, but decided I didn't want to just flip it over for the other half, so I scraped that. I went back to my first cut out, but this time I make it fit over the whole case, but I cut a hole in the middle, so I could get my arm in the case, and then traced the whole inside of the case. I found this was the best for me as there were no straight edges on that case at all. I think transferred that to some expanded pvc and rough cut it with a jigsaw leaving my line. I think took it to a belt sander and kept working it till it fit. I ended up doing a second piece as well. I can try to get some pics if that would help you out. Once I'm done I'll be doing a whole write up, with pics and such, as I'm building my own balance boards and such.
Grimmy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in