Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 04:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
HF Support

Default NEW - TREX100 - Review

The Trex micro - the 100 was eagerly awaited for and has now been out for around 4 months - I bought one on release and a spell of cold rain over a long weekend prompted me to open it up today and see what the fuss was about. There's been a LOT of talk on the forums - much of it negative so I was keen to see how it would go - right out of the box!

I'm no expert on mini-micro helis but have had my share of co-axials and am currently playing around a fair bit with my Blade MSR and MCP-X due to the inclement weather.

THe heli is packaged beautifully - easily good enough for a wedding or anniversary present

The heli is a bit bigger than the MSR and looks to be a bit more sturdy in construction and a bit neater in design. It is obvious the main gear is larger than the MSR which gears down the ratio presumably to drive the bigger blades. The tail is a little longer and the fan and tail motor look similar.

The lipos are a much better design than the Blade - the contacts are way more substantial and no fiddling around with leads and plugs - just push the sucker home into its housing - this also makes it much easier not to move the heli during initialisation which is crucial to a stable tail gyro.

The charging options are neat - off the Tx, off the USB port of a computer or from the mains with a USB PSU. The TX is small but nice feel to it and the sticks and the LED screen (not much use) is lit up a pleasing blue. What is really neat is that the Mode is changeable just by swapping sticks (held in with 4 screws each) - Mode 1 to 2 change in 3 minutes - Mode 3 can also be selected from Mode 1 by powering up whilst holding down some trims.

Anyway here is my review on assembly and what is in the box - I will follow with my maiden flights and then probably do a final vid with trim and tips.

TREX100 Review - What's In The Box and Assembly - wmv - 163MB

TREX100 Maiden Flights - wmv 72MB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050045.JPG
Views:	6450
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	233318  

Last edited by Jason Cole; 01-23-2020 at 09:44 AM..
Mercuriell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The thing i found with this heli is that it needed to loosen up and that happend after about 15-20 flights because the lipo grew in endurance after a little time.
The tail problem was fixed by keep on moving the trim all the way to the left and beyond the endpoint ot the TX.
Another little thing i noticed that the lipo's charged quicker when i connected the charger to my playstation 3.
Just wished that the tail would not go all sqiffy when doing fast turns from forward flight when turning around.
Very happy with this little bird and after loads of wall bashing this still flys like new.
Good heli for beginners.
MajorNut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I wondered whether the tail drift might not be partly lipo related - one fix is to reduce the pitch on the tail blade by various means and that would would speed up the tail rotor - maybe slow due to a poor lipo. Mine seems to be improving too after around a dozen flights
Old 06-12-2011, 03:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

Here's my first spool ups and flights, bit of a handful outside, not least in seeing the darn thing !,

Video Trex100 Maiden Flights - wmv 72MB

Last edited by Mercuriell; 06-12-2011 at 07:13 AM..
Mercuriell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2011, 05:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

is it stable?
muscleflex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2011, 07:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
HF Support

It's as stable as any of the micro FP - a coaxial is a bit more stable but you can trim this up fine - you have two adjustments for stabile/agile - the ball links on the inner swash and two holes on the servo arms. Mine was most agile for both but still was reasonable
Old 06-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

is it better than the MSR?
FREIT15 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2011, 03:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREIT15 View Post
is it better than the MSR?
It's different - it's much cheaper at the moment - I think it is more rugged in construction. The MSR is a bit more stable I think but they have many similarities and do the same job IMHO. I think it's very good value for money.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still I think the best way to get the tail in order is to put the msr/mcpx tail blade on the rear end, that stopped all tail blow out for me and held alot better overall.
MajorNut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorNut View Post
Still I think the best way to get the tail in order is to put the msr/mcpx tail blade on the rear end, that stopped all tail blow out for me and held alot better overall.

+1 on that.

I went so far as to put a complete MSR tailboom/motor on it but the MSR TR blades made the most difference. I think the T100 flys a LOT more precision than my MSR and I like flying it better except I really dislike the fact that the TX doesn't save the rudder trim and one must re-set it each time you turn on the TX. Other than that, it's a much higher quality ship than the MSR.
some multirotor stuff w/ AutoQuad6, Naza, APM, PX4, and full size Exec162F and a T210 just for fun!
recurry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011, 06:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

She's like a new car! Gotta break her in! Just got mine last night ad set her up. Does it really make a huge differance if I switch it over to the inside hole for a less aggressive flight or just leave it alone and go full out??? Do I have to switch the top ones as well to the longer nipple or just the bottom only? I was confused about that. Being brand new, its a little to "jumpy" for me in full-blast mode! Also, the simulator I could not get to DL on my PC running Vista. Whats up with that??
james5865 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011, 07:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuriell View Post
It's as stable as any of the micro FP - a coaxial is a bit more stable but you can trim this up fine - you have two adjustments for stabile/agile - the ball links on the inner swash and two holes on the servo arms. Mine was most agile for both but still was reasonable
How did it respond on in the "stable" mode compared to the "agile" (quicker action) mode? I have yet to put mine in the air yet cause I had to hide it from my girlfriend so I didn't set her up till late last night! Sad, I know....Both top and bottom have to be switched if I do adjust it correct? Not just the lower arms?
james5865 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 04:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
HF Support

Use of the longer balls on the swash or the outer holes on the servo arms gives a greater rate of cyclic response - you can use either or both methods to increase response.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly pretty well 3d in my opinion, but with these small little micro helis, i am all over the place...looks like i have never flown befor..I actuallly think these cheap RTF are not the way to go if learning...i know there fun, but really dont respond the same way...just my 2 censt
RACON450 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 05:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been in this heli hobby for just about 1 and a half months now, and I actually learned how to hover in this along with a Nine Eagles Solo Pro (which is alot better in my experience).

I think these mini RTFs are a good way to learn and get into the hobby, along with a PC simulator.
hpcc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in