Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #261 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There are roughly 4.2 million pages of BL info on here, it seems And I've done my best to read through them. Please forgive me for asking an awfully basic question, which I'm sure gets asked too often.

This is what I'm planning to buy:

- HP05S, listed as 13300kv, 1.5mm shaft
- thesteve converter. Just the plain, 1-motor, "generic" one (not the version customized for the mCP X, since it's out of stock)
- XP-7A ESC
- 9t pinion, 0.3mod, 1.5mm hole
- pinion puller (to remove the pinion that comes pre-installed on the HP05S motor)
- I have a bunch of Nanotech 300's already

Is that a decent combo? The pinion is what worries me the most. I know some people are trying to go to 8t, or even smaller. Those 8t pinions are quite a bit more expensive (and have to come from Europe, to boot). I figured I can start with the 9t, and if I have problems, try something else. Maybe I can pull the 8t pinion off the stock motor and open it up to 1.5mm. If I really had to, I could modify the motor's shaft down to 1mm, but I don't want to do that if I can avoid it. I may break it

I'm not looking to rule the 3D flying world or anything. This is my first CP, so I'm still learning. I just want to give it more power & pep. But I guess I don't have any really specific requirements for headspeed or anything.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #262 (permalink)
Registered Users

8T pinions are pretty much free if you remove one from the stock motor.

I've found with that combo that I really like the performance with a 7T pinion. Climb rates are awesome and after 5 minutes of tearing up the sky I put back 200mah into the 300mah Turnigy Nano batteries. A big plus is that this combo doesn't bog at all

I also run a 120SR tail motor and 120SR tail rotor trimmed to 2-1/4" which gives a locked tail and no blowouts

Good Luck, Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
There are roughly 4.2 million pages of BL info on here, it seems And I've done my best to read through them. Please forgive me for asking an awfully basic question, which I'm sure gets asked too often.

- thesteve converter. Just the plain, 1-motor, "generic" one (not the version customized for the mCP X, since it's out of stock)
- XP-7A ESC
- pinion puller (to remove the pinion that comes pre-installed on the HP05S motor)

Is that a decent combo? The pinion is what worries me the most. I know some people are trying to go to 8t, or even smaller. Those 8t pinions are quite a bit more expensive (and have to come from Europe, to boot). I figured I can start with the 9t, and if I have problems, try something else. Maybe I can pull the 8t pinion off the stock motor and open it up to 1.5mm. If I really had to, I could modify the motor's shaft down to 1mm, but I don't want to do that if I can avoid it. I may break it

I'm not looking to rule the 3D flying world or anything. This is my first CP, so I'm still learning. I just want to give it more power & pep. But I guess I don't have any really specific requirements for headspeed or anything.
dbennettya is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #263 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

- XP-7A ESC

Sounds like a great combo. I currently run:

-HP05s motor
-9T pinion
-10A Helimax motor (your 7A will be fine)
-Steve converter - main motor, prior to the mCPx version was introduced
-Hyperion 240's (you have a better choice using the 300mah - more flight time)
-And of course the GWS pinion puller that works from 1mm/1.5mm/2mm shafts.

Never thought my tiny pinion puller would get used so much but since I have owned the mCPx it has become invaluable during the BL mod. Great tool for under $20 on ebay.

The HP05s motor is a powerhouse but you can also tone it down using the TX, assuming you are not using a RTF TX and something sufficient like a DX6i, DX7, DX8, etc.

I think you will be happy with 9T. Itís not insane or uncontrollable at all. Itís a micro-heli with spunk and agility. Use this thread for reference on TX settings for the HP05s motor.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=320503
Trex 600 ESP FBL - Beastx
adroc3905 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #264 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not trying to hyjack guys but i wenf back stock and am selling my brushless setup. 30 bucks. Novus cp esc and motor , 9 tooth pinion and the new steve from wow hobbies that doesnt require a resistor. Pm me if interested thanks.
duaner27 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #265 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thank you for the feedback, guys. Ordered the motor, ESC, converter, and Walkera pinion puller. It was tempting to try and make my own pinion puller somehow. I like jim_stoll's "Ghetto Pinion Puller", https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...&postcount=226

But it seemed like a real one is probably less likely to damage something.

Just need to order the pinion. Will probably go with the 9T for now. I can get that one inexpensively, and I don't have to modify the motor right out of the gate. May also order a Hyperion 320, to see how it compares to the Nanotechs. The idea of possibly having to turn *down* the throttle to keep it manageable is a funny thought Too bad you can't use a governor on these somehow.

dbennettya, I assume you modified your motor shaft down to 1mm, for the 7T? It sounds like it's working well for you. I'm inclined to leave the motor alone for now, though the 7T sounds nice. I could always make the shaft smaller, I guess, but it's tough to put it back to 1.5mm

liftbag's double tail mod sounds interesting, but I'd like to stay to a single stock motor if possible. But if that's just not going to work well, I'll add a 2nd tail motor to the order now, and save on shipping (mCX2 motor is $10, S/H is $5 ).
Old 08-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #266 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaner27 View Post
Not trying to hyjack guys but i wenf back stock and am selling my brushless setup. 30 bucks. Novus cp esc and motor , 9 tooth pinion and the new steve from wow hobbies that doesnt require a resistor. Pm me if interested thanks.
Just curious why you're going back to stock.
mCPX w/MH Swash, rotor hub, grips, tail motor mount, CF tail fin, RKH main frame/boom supports, AeoRC C05M BL motor, XP7A, thesteve convertor, ext CF rod boom, soldered larger guage tail wires, SR120 tail w/cut down SR120 blade
brianp6621 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #267 (permalink)
Registered Users

Too much speed for me im still learning and like it better in stock form.....for now anyway.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #268 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaner27 View Post
Too much speed for me im still learning and like it better in stock form.....for now anyway.
What radio are you using?
mCPX w/MH Swash, rotor hub, grips, tail motor mount, CF tail fin, RKH main frame/boom supports, AeoRC C05M BL motor, XP7A, thesteve convertor, ext CF rod boom, soldered larger guage tail wires, SR120 tail w/cut down SR120 blade
brianp6621 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #269 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dx6i i like the spool up of the stock set up. With the brushless set up it was like an on off switch and i have to take off immediatley.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #270 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I did reduce the shaft down to 1mm with a file slowly while running the motor. Just don't go too fast or press too hard and go slow.

It looks like there are now 7T and up with 1.5mm holes from:

http://www.shop.kkpmo.com/product_in...---7teeth.html

They have 7T and up with 1.5mm hole.

I do have some 1.5mm shaft that I bought for replacing motor shafts and will be replacing a couple of shafts in HP08 motors. So it probably can be reversed.

Good Luck, Don

Quote:
Just need to order the pinion. Will probably go with the 9T for now. I can get that one inexpensively, and I don't have to modify the motor right out of the gate. May also order a Hyperion 320, to see how it compares to the Nanotechs. The idea of possibly having to turn *down* the throttle to keep it manageable is a funny thought Too bad you can't use a governor on these somehow.

dbennettya, I assume you modified your motor shaft down to 1mm, for the 7T? It sounds like it's working well for you. I'm inclined to leave the motor alone for now, though the 7T sounds nice. I could always make the shaft smaller, I guess, but it's tough to put it back to 1.5mm

Last edited by dbennettya; 08-07-2011 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: fixed link....sorry
Old 08-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #271 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennettya View Post

It looks like there are now 7T and up with 1.5mm holes from:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1478613

They have 7T and up with 1.5mm hole.

Good Luck, Don
Wrong link?
Schoey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #272 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, sorry ..... fixed it.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoey View Post
Wrong link?
Old 08-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #273 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennettya View Post
Yeah, sorry ..... fixed it.

Don

No worries, it looked like a bit of guerrilla marketing there for a second
Schoey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #274 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

Does this fit the mod.. this is my best bet from where I am..

http://shop.rotor.com.sg/show-detail.asp?prodid={57A04529-9DD5-494D-9078-4F93F3D9330B}&pn=2

http://shop.rotor.com.sg/show-detail.asp?prodid={AF0C062C-5315-474B-BC81-2228AD9E6EA3}&pn=1

I'll still need the the converter though.. still looking..

cheers
Q
Old 08-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #275 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, those will work but there are better choices out there that are lighter like HP05S and XP-7A ESC.

Good Luck, Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by questerng View Post
Hi,

Does this fit the mod.. this is my best bet from where I am..

http://shop.rotor.com.sg/show-detail.asp?prodid={57A04529-9DD5-494D-9078-4F93F3D9330B}&pn=2

http://shop.rotor.com.sg/show-detail.asp?prodid={AF0C062C-5315-474B-BC81-2228AD9E6EA3}&pn=1

I'll still need the the converter though.. still looking..

cheers
Q
Old 08-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #276 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Don, will this pinion work?

GT-1 7 tooth 72 pitch pinion 1.5 mm
Old 08-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #277 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Per the chart found here, no:

http://www.engineersedge.com/gear_pitch_chart.htm

Gears measured in "mod" or modulus are metric. Gears measured in pitch are english.

A 0.3 mod gear would equate to 84.6 pitch. So that 72 pitch (0.35 mod) gear would not mesh properly.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #278 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Per the chart found here, no:

http://www.engineersedge.com/gear_pitch_chart.htm

Gears measured in "mod" or modulus are metric. Gears measured in pitch are english.

A 0.3 mod gear would equate to 84.6 pitch. So that 72 pitch (0.35 mod) gear would not mesh properly.
darn it, I just ordered some. Anyone know where I could order some stateside?
Old 08-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #279 (permalink)
Blade Forum Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValHeli View Post
darn it, I just ordered some. Anyone know where I could order some stateside?
U can order some pinions from here
http://www.radicalrc.com/search/GW/GM09T3

Sent from my DROIDX
tntburnett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #280 (permalink)
Registered Users

[QUOTE=tntburnett;3151377]U can order some pinions from here
http://www.radicalrc.com/search/GW/GM09T3

Do they make 7T pinions? I didn't see any in their website.

Btw, I'm starting on my 2nd BL conversion and this time I'm getting the HP05 motor and XP7A esc, wowhobbies edition Steve converter. Now, on the esc red/blk/wht bundle (sorry i don't know what it's called) - do I have to connect the red/blk to steve red/blk or can I do it the "TNT way" and not use the red/blk wires? What happens if I do or don't connect them?

Also, do I have to program the XP7A or is it plug and pray? Finally, where can I get 7T pinions? I'm thinking about ordering from Mikroantriebe but I don't know what to choose for "gear width" and "material". I'm also not sure if they can deliver stateside.

Thanks in advance for your help guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in