Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2020, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What to do with old motor?

I have a Blade 420H brushless off my old old 4003d and I was wondering if I could repurpose it practically (or impractically!) New to the hobby so I'm not sure what I can do with the electronics.

In another thread it was suggested I move up to a 470 align. Could I use my 400's electronics in said kit? Minus FBL, I have to get one I reckon $$$.

Also what about the old gyro that came with the 400, is it useful any way today?
c4r0n1x is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2020, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bump?
Old 05-10-2020, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My opinion, move on from that motor and gyro.

The motor has a funky shaft (multiple diameters) that will make fitting pinions with more or less teeth almost impossible. I think E-Flite offered a 9T, 10T, and maybe an 11T(?), if you can still get them. Also, that lower shaft bearing has gone out on many pilots after only a few or dozen flights. Good luck getting that outer race removed when the rest of the bearing disintegrates.

The G110 gyro is pure EVIL. That thing, if you get a good one, will work fine until one day. Then it will start killing tail servos on you - literally, over driving them, stripping the gears, and over heating/burning them. And, it fails instantly. At the least, find a Futaba GY401 and use that instead.

Come to think of it, that stock 25A ESC is dangerous as well. You cannot get Horizon to tell you how many Amps the linear BEC (battery eliminator circuit) can supply. If I remember correctly many deduced it was under 1A since it was only designed to power those DS75 servos (which may or may not be digital). Brown-outs were common as it didn't seem to have any overhead.

My Blade 400 and beginning CP heli days improved immensely once those parts were eliminated from the equation.

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 05-11-2020 at 09:42 AM..
FR4-Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2020, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The E-flite G210 gyro from the 4503D is not that great either.
I will throw it out and replace it for now with a Tarot ZYX.

If this doesn't work then I will go the MSH Brain 2 / Spirit System 2 route....

Forget about the E-Flite DS76 servos with the plastic gears.
You want something new, Titanium / hardened steel servos with much more available torque.

The H420 motor is way too load too.
Only good thing is probably to throw it away...a friend gave me a KDS motor for the 450.
The old E-Flite was corrupted after a few (surely not too many) flights...motor bearing got corrupted.

All the newer helis like 470LP are made for 6s ESCs and 6s motors.

The E-Flite ESC from the 4503D also has no governor mode.

The Blade 400 electronic probably is even worse.

Time to let go...I guess.
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...XK K110...Blade 200QX quad...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)
Thomas.Heiss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2020, 07:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I guess if the motor is that bad...I had upgraded to the 40 amp ESC I don't have a part number it surely might be good for something right?

It seems I just need to part ways with these heli parts and chuck them in the trash.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I heard that the H450 motor would have been good.
Not sure how the motor quality changed on the 450X v2, 330x, 330s or 360CFX (6s or 3s).

If the bearing or motor shaft gets corrupted not on ground but in the air and the heli crashes just fro this issue, then it costs a lot of money.
You better do not risk this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4r0n1x View Post
I had upgraded to the 40 amp ESC.
I don't have a part number it surely might be good for something right?
What label is printed on?

Good question...maybe limited usage for the Blade 450X V1/V2 and 330x FBL heli range (all 3s) I would say.

The newer Blade 330x (not 330s) uses this 45A ESC: https://www.horizonhobby.de/en/produ...sc-45a-blh5052
The Blade 330s uses their newest Avian 30A ESC (3s-6s): https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...sc--spmxae1030

Compare your 40A ESC (from E-Flite??) to Hobbywing 50-60A with 7A BEC.
Or do you have the other one from Castle (Blade 360CFX series)?

If you get really good cyclic servos (different brand) + tail servo then you might need more than just a limited 2-3A BEC.

Recently I read a thread from the new Align 300X that the Spirit System FBL BEC test overdrives some Align ESCs and connected servos; people are swapping the ESC and or sending it back to their dealer.

ESC with telemetry:
On a new heli I would probably want to buy a ESC which is fully supported by the newer FBL units and to integrate them with a receiver (e.g. SRXL2) with offers bi-directional telemetry and is able to read the single cell voltage.

A friend of mine has the Robby Roxxy in his Blade 450X (V1) but does not have this fancy telemetry thing setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4r0n1x View Post
It seems I just need to part ways with these heli parts and chuck them in the trash.
Sadly to say: It sounds like that.
HH is done with the 400 / 450 flybar head parts.
(Almost) Everything is discontinued.

I still run the Blade 4503D with the original 35A ESC (no governor): https://www.horizonhobby.com/35-amp-...-b450-efla335h

It withstanded 3 crashes, the last one onto a roof and higher fall into the concrete was quite bad (should have been the maiden flight, checking ZERO blade tracking, gyro gain,...) in the dark night with some standing lights from a parking place and lights in front windows of a closed bakery.

I guess I will keep it running for a bit longer as I am free to setup a V-throttle curve in the transmitter.

..(...)..

A friend has some 450X spart head parts when he switched to the aluminium flybarless conversion set from HH, but buying every 450X FBL part on my own as single spare parts does not make really sense.
The alu head block alone is expensive enough.

If you look at the ALZRC X360 they are offered in a 6s motor + ESC combo.
For the XLPower MSH 380 it depends if you get the kit or a (super) combo.

I even had corrupted the Blade 450 canopy...
Looking back, I have no clue why I didn't jump onto a new kit but instead of I went with several expensive Blade parts (end of 2015) to get this 4503D back into the air.
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...XK K110...Blade 200QX quad...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss; 05-14-2020 at 09:03 PM..
Thomas.Heiss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2020, 03:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The most basic 470 kit comes with motor and ESC. You might be able to re-use your servos depending on what they are, but I wouldn't. Those electronics might work ok on a sport Oxy 3 if you really want to re-use them.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in