Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger Electric Helis

Thunder Tiger Electric Helis Mini Titan E325, Raptor E550 and E620 SE Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gyro And Rudder For E325 Need Help Please

I am a total newbie to flying helicopters but have made a lot of models and other RC stuff over the years. I bought this setup a year ago and broke it in a particularly spectacular fashion having hardly used it. I have since spent a lot of time on a PC simulator and now have just got around to repairing my Mini Titan. In the process I have found that I had neglected to set up a number of things properly. Foolishly assuming it was OK straight out of the box.

I have now got to the point that I was totally confused at when I first got the helicopter, that is setting up the rudder.

Here is what I have:

Thunder Tiger Mini Titan E325
ACE RC TG6100M gyro
ACE RC TR602FD receiver
ACE RC Sky Commander T6H Transmitter
OBL 29/35-10H brushless motor
ACE RC BLC 40
ACE RC C0915 rudder servo
ACE RC C1016 Collective servos

All these are what came with it originally

All has gone well so far apart from the rudder.

This is what I have done:

Green wire goes to channel 5. Switch on the transmitter with the throttle down and centered. Heading lock mode is on (red LED on the gyro). Let the rudder servo settle down, switch off and adjust the servo arm to 90 degrees, pointing straight down.

Switch on again.

Moving the rudder control stick to the right causes the servo arm to move forward towards the nose of the helicopter. Moving the helicopter counter-clockwise causes the servo arm once more to briefly move forwards and then back to the 90 degree point.

All this is according to the manual and so far so good. It is at this point, paragraph 9 in the instruction sheet that I part company from its reality. It says "Move the rudder stick to the left and right, adjust and check the linkage. Make sure there is no binding on both sides."

My problem is that when I move the rudder stick from neutral to the left absolutely nothing happens, not a twitch or sound of servo gears struggling, nothing. When I move the stick to the right, even the slightest amount (and hold its position), the servo slowly creeps forward to the full extent of the rudder (tail pitch control set moves towards tail boom), if I move it hard over to the right, the servo moves more quickly. If I switch heading lock mode off (green LED light on the gyro) everything works as I would expect, movement left and right on the stick is mirrored in the servo EXCEPT that the servo centers itself pointing at about 45 degrees to the nose of the helicopter.

Is this normal? Will it sort itself out in flight? Or have I missed something, or is my gyro broken?

Any thoughts appreciated. I am happy to put up photos if that would help.
cjr8bs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2011, 01:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What you are describing is normal. In AVCS mode (heading lock on) servo does not return to center position when you are doing bench setup.

Imagine this :
Your heli is up in the air with blades spinning some 2200RPM. Gyro is expecting force and moves tail permanently (more or less).
Now you stop all movements, sit it on the ground. Ofc gyro will still expect these forces applied to the whole system. But nothing is spinning. Movement is gone so gyro get "confused" if you want to call it that way.

So don't worry. What you described is perfectly fine on the bench, all gyros do this.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Many thanks for that. That allows me to get on with my life What you say makes it all very clear and obvious now.

Further to my comment about setting up. Or rather my lack of it after assuming it would be OK straight from the box, I discovered the other day that not only were the arms of the servos on in the wrong places, but some of the linkage rods of the main rotor were slightly wrong according to the useful chart on page 12 of the manual. The rods for the L and R servos were even adjusted to different lengths. When I look at the photos I took of it before flying it, it is all now horribly obvious with the swash plate at a very odd angle.

Hopefully after reading this forum and playing on my sim, next time I will have no excuses for piling it up.

Thanks to all the people contributing to this forum, I have found a lot of useful stuff whilst searching for an answer to this question.

I have been keeping a record of what I have done and may well do what I have done with some of my other projects and document it on my website.
cjr8bs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in