Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Swapping RX. Same settings?

I am new to the radio control and not sure of this.
I have set up a heli using a AR6100. All servo`s set at 90 etc using subtrim and ccpm set up.
I need to change the AR6100 over to a AR6100e.Will this effect the settings?Should all the subtrims still be the same and ccpm?
I am not sure if the RX will effect the positions?
Armour Nut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default Yes and No

The subtrims, endpoints, expo, etc will NOT change with the new receiver.

However, failsafe settings are stored in the receiver. This makes sense when you think about it. Your failsafe info can't come from the transmitter since, by definition, when you are in failsafe, you have lost contact with the transmitter.

So, have all your channels where you want them for failsafe when you bind the radio to the receiver. That is when the failsafe settings are locked into the receiver.
jrohland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

To expand.

When you bind the Rx you set the fail safe position for the throttle and for all other channels you set the position that the Rx will send out once it powers up, but before it links to the Tx. The throttle starts with no signal at all.

The AR7000 (latest software only) and higher Rxes also allow you to actually set all channels with a fail safe position. They will assume this position if the Rx loses the Tx signal.

he standard fail safe for Spektrum Rx (and the only one on the AR6x00 series) is for all channels, other than throttle to hold their last position.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Forgot to mention failsafe.I will rebind.
It was the ccpm setup and subtrims and reverse i was concerned with.
Armour Nut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I recently swapped out the AR6100 for the AR6200 and none of my Tx settings were messed with.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi Pinecone,

I looked up the current AR7000 manual on Spektrum's website (and the one that came with my recent AR7000 purchase), and it seems like the rx works differently than you posted below:

SmartSafe Failsafe
The AR7000 features SmartSafe failsafe. SmartSafe is ideal for most
types of aircraft. With SmartSafe, when signal is lost the throttle channel
only is driven to its preset failsafe position (normally low throttle) while all other
channels hold last command.
Prevents unintentional electric motor response on start-up.
Eliminates the possibility of over-driving servos on start-up by storing preset failsafe positions.
Establishes low-throttle failsafe and maintains last-commanded control surface position if the RF signal is lost.
Receiver Power Only
When the receiver only is turned on (no transmitter signal is present), the throttle channel has no output, to avoid operating or arming the electronic speed control.
All other channels are driven to their preset failsafe positions set during binding.
Note: Some analog servos may drift slightly during power-up even though no signal is present. This is normal.
After Connection
When the transmitter is turned on and after the receiver connects to the transmitter, normal control of all channels occurs.
After the system makes a connection, if loss of signal occurs SmartSafe drives the throttle servo only to its preset failsafe position (low throttle) that was set during binding.
All other channels hold their last commanded position. When the signal is regained, the system immediately (less than 4ms) regains control.

I acknowledge that Spektrum's use of the term failsafe is a little bit confusing, I would rather refer to it as start-up values and failsafe values (depending on the channel).

Are you sure about the "new" failsafe functionality for the AR7000 rxs?

Thanks,
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
To expand.

The AR7000 (latest software only) and higher Rxes also allow you to actually set all channels with a fail safe position. They will assume this position if the Rx loses the Tx signal.
Tail boom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2009, 09:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, when they updated the firmware to add the Low Power Indicator (flashing LEDs) and to enable the AR7000 to use te Flight Log, it seems they added the ability to program specific fail safe positions for all channels, like the 9 and 12 ch had.

It is not documented, as Spektrum has not updated the manuals.

But several people have tested this. I personally haven't tested it, but enough people have, so I am sure.

But for YOU, I will go test a couple of AR7000s today.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Old 03-28-2009, 04:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
... But for YOU, I will go test a couple of AR7000s today.
Tail boom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK, tested.

SOME updated AR7000s have the new fail safe. It seems this is a.v1.7 feature.

But, it make it work the binding goes like this:

Insert bind plug into Rx.

Power Up Rx, LED flash rapidly

Remove Bind plug

Power Up Tx with Bind plug depressed and sticks in desired position.

HOLD until the servos move to the desired fail safe positions. This will take a few seconds AFTER the LEDs go on solid.

And BTW, at least with the AR7000, you can bind an older one by powering up with the bind plug in place, and remove it before binding.It just doesn't make any difference as to what gets set.

Good thing I tested, I have at least 2 Rxes that have never been updated. And one, I bought used, that has a sticker that says Bind/Data, but the LEDs don't blink after a power loss.

So 3 Rxes to go back to Horizon for updating.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in