Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Castle ESC autorotation bailout

Following the instructions for setting up this feature I set my normal throttle curve for '0' at every point. Then I increased my 'throttle hold value' to the maximum positive value in the 'throttle curve' menu on my DX8. It says you're supposed to spool the heli up by going into idle up1 and then hit throttle hold and slowly start decreasing the value of throttle hold until the motor shuts off. When I tried this the motor would shut off as soon as I hit throttle hold, no matter what value I had. Then I tried the same procedure, but I adjusted the value of throttle hold under the 'throttle cut' menu on my Tx. This seemed to work and the autoroation bailout mode seems to be operating correctly. My question is, what is the function of changing the value of throttle hold % under the 'throttle curve' menu....mine doesn't seem to affect anything?
Bass82 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2014, 12:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flight Mode (FM), Throttle Hold (TH), and Throttle Cut (TC) have different levels of priority. TC has the highest priority, meaning that if you engage TC, TC will disengage TH and FM. TH has the next priority, FM has the lowest priority.

When I used to use the DX8 with the Castle Creations ESC's in governor mode with the Autorotation box checked, the ESC calibration would be around 87% for high stick and 119% for low stick. Throttle Hold would end up either 16% or 17%. I used the TC too. I assigned TC to the bind button, and left it at -130%. I used TC to disengage the autorotation after I landed to prevent an unintentional fast spoolup.
Amain Field Representative
jhamel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2014, 03:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah, what you're saying about priority makes sense. My end point calibration ended up at 101% high and 94% low, however my TH setting shuts off the motor no matter what % I set it for. I had it all the way up to 90% and it still shuts off the motor. This doesn't seem right to me? Right now I have the autorotation bailout working using TC assigned to my TH switch. ........

Wait, maybe that's why!! My TC must have been assigned to my TH switch at 0% while I was trying to set this up! I'll try re assigning my TC to a different switch and see if that works
Old 07-26-2014, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

101% high and and 94% low does not sound right. I have 7 Castle ESC's. They all calibrate to about the same numbers with the Autorotation box checked; around 87% high and 119% low.

Please verify that you are calibrating the Castle ESC using an active Flight Mode with diagonal (0-25-50-75-100) throttle curve. You change the throttle curves only after you are done with ESC calibration.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Castle ESC autorotation bailout

I have mine at 88 high and 88 low.. depends on your gear used i guess.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had my normal throttle curve set linear but not my idle 1 or 2. I did the calibration in normal mode though. Maybe I'll redo it and see if anything changes. Thanks for the replies btw
Old 07-26-2014, 08:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok so I just re calibrated my fixed endpoints and they still came out the same. I changed my TC to the bind button and now my TH cuts power to the motor at 16%. Everything appears to be working as it should thanks again!
Old 07-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome!
Old 07-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
I used TC to disengage the autorotation after I landed to prevent an unintentional fast spoolup.
Make sure you do this, otherwise it could lead to a nasty surprise.
Castle needs to see a zero throttle in order to reset back to slow spool up.

I have governed head speeds (flat line curves) with TH in one switch and TC in a different one. It serves for the zero reset as well as a power-off redundancy method. You don't wanna have to kill the engine and the one switch controlling it is defective leading to a crazy chicken dance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in