Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters > 500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters

500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters 500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ESC Programming? 3gx settings for stock EFL Pro?

I am finishing up my 500EFL build. I have uploaded the stock 500 settings to my 3gx, but am curious as to which settings I should be changing (if any) before I test fly? I also need to program the ESC, and am curious as to which settings I should be choosing? It has been a very long time since I setup my last heli (a trex 600), and cant remember what should be picked. Thank you in advance!

Here are the options:
Brake: Disabled, Soft, Hard
Timing: Low, Mid, High
Batt Protection: High cutoff, middle cutoff
Aircraft: plane, heli w/ soft start, heli w/ soft start & governor
Throttle response: standard, medium, quick
bec output: 5.0, 5.5, 6.0
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

download bob's ESC setup video form the 500 build thread, and play the video as you program the ESC

"sing along with bob"
Deet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default ESC Programming for Stock EFL 500 Pro

Well ,If you started with the standard Align ESC, then the default settings will be sufficient for the set-up. Check the Manual for the settings. Also listen to the ESC startup beebs when you plug in a battery ( I use a 3S) and count the tones and you will be able determint the actual settings. The Voltage is set at 5.5 V default.

I just finished my build but am waiting for a swash leveler before I set up my 3GX

Go at it !
BigEddie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

you still need to do the ESC setup so the ESC learns the hi and low stick points from your radio
Old 01-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Should I stick with the 5.5v, or up it to 6v? It looks like the servos that came with the kit will be able to handle 6??

Also, should I be running heli with soft start, or heli with soft start and governor?

Lastly, nobody has any insight to the 3gx settings?????
Old 01-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I run the bec at the default 5.5V...you wont see any difference in performance with .5v and its easier on the bec at lower V. Yes run with soft start and gov if you want to run a consistent HS. Lastly check out the 3GX forum and plug in Leon's settings for a 550E. He has 2 different threads...one for V 1.1 and one for 1.2 so just check out which ever version your running.

Chris_M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

run 6v if the servos can handle it, they and the BEC will be happier

DO NOT USE THE ALIGN GOV, it will do bad things to your heli
Old 01-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Haha... Ok, 2 conflicting replies... Anyone wanna chime in and be the tie breaker??
Old 01-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Architect of Ugh

Don't know about breaking a tie but I'll chime in with what works for me.

I'm running everything at their default settings. Just made sure they were set correctly to the defaults when doing esc setup.

I am not using the Align governor. Just a slight v-curve in st1 and flat 100 in st2. Flies nice for me like that.

The default voltage seems to work just fine with the stock servos.

I'm approaching 80 flights with this configuration and no issues at all.
Phoenix Sim, DX8, Gibson Les Paul, AMA #987871
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal." Thomas Jefferson
Maypole is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Power is volts times amps. Higher voltages will require less amps to do the same work. Run the highest voltage your electronics are capable of.

Regarding the BEC.....it is stepping down the voltage from 25.2 volts. Less of a step down is less work albeit a minimal difference.

You won't see much difference though from 5.5 to 6.0 volts.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Im sorry I did not mean to imply that you should run the align gov in my post. I have my esc setup with default settings across the board and run flat curves of 85 and 90% in my TX. You can run the bec at 5.5 or 6V its up to you but .5 of a V is not going to make much if any difference in higher amp pulls or performance i can guarantee you that.

Chris_M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 02:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

What is everyone running for the voltage cutoff, high or low, I'm getting sub 5min flights in with the high cutoff, packs come in at about 3.8v per cell, and I'm putting back in about 1700mah back into the pack. Hoping to get a little more run time out of her, btw running an 11t pinion with a flat throttle curve, gens ace 2600mah 25c packs.
Sowa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 04:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The Power is volts times amps. Higher voltages will require less amps to do the same work.
This is simply not the case when it comes to the electronic components. It is true when discussing how many watts are required to run the motor.

If you have a 100ohm resistor and you put it across a 5.5volt battery it will draw or consume 55mA. Now if you increase the voltage to 6 volts the same resistor will draw 60mA.

Only if the bec is of linear design would it be more efficient to run it at its highest voltage. For switching mode I cannot see it making any difference what voltage you set it to.
Andy from Sandy is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You run the highest voltage because the servos will have more torque and work faster at the higher voltage, read the specs...
Old 02-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You run the highest voltage because the servos will have more torque and work faster at the higher voltage, read the specs...
Running the bec at 6 volts because the servos can take it is not the same as running the bec at 6 volts because it will be happier as you stated in your earlier post.

I agree about the servos but disagree about making the bec happy.

The bec is of switching mode design so I don't think for its well-being it makes any difference what voltage you set it to.
Andy from Sandy is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 03:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

the greater the difference between input and output voltages, the more heat is generated by the BEC as well

everything is so much happier at 6V
Old 02-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
the greater the difference between input and output voltages, the more heat is generated by the BEC
Accurately describes how a linear regulator works not a switch-mode regulator.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

And yes. i have measured the difference... it is cooler at 6V

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in