Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ken Tobey was one of the pilots. Craig Hill was the other. Ken isn't around any more but Craig is... I think I read he is living in France.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whirlybirds

I have a multi-DVD set of some of the shows..... horrible quality because they are all bootlegs or recorded off TV back in the VHS days. But they are all you can get... the show has never been re-released for some reason. There was some really exciting flying in that series and it was all real. There was one where they hovered the heli down so one skid pressed on a log being used as a lever to free a guy's leg. No special effects.

My bird flies very well. Kinda scale like. It is noticeably heavier and I can still get 4 minute flights from Hyperion 250mAH 25C cells but I think the batteries are being stressed getting there. If I remove the scale bubble and interior it flies a lot better, but they look SO COOL.

Unfortunately, I crashed it today. I think what happened was the shim I was suing to prevent the frame from rubbing the right servo output arm shifted and the servo jammed and blew one half of the motor driver. The motor gets very hot and after a while the servo stops responding and just wiggles back and forth. When it failed in flight, it went full deflection and the heli rolled and hit the ground. The only damage was a broken skid and the tail cage popped off. I'm in the process of building stronger skids that actually look a bit more scale and with a new servo it should be in the air again tomorrow.

Paul
pgoelz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 06:54 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Paul.....
Glad to hear you didn't suffer any major damage!!!! It'd be tragic if you lost a heli that cool!!
Thanks for the "other" pilot's name!! I remember a lot of old TV shows - and their stars -- and it irks me when I suffer a brain and CRS (Can't Remember S---!)....
Probably not enough $$$ to be made putting the show into syndication....there are a LOT of legal hoops to jump through to make that happen, it seems....Maybe with the mounting interest in r/c helis......the real thing may once again be in vogue.....!!!
Thanks again, Paul.....and keep us posted on the exploits of "Seven-Five Bravo"!!!
dasBlade450 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

No worries. I've built a new set of skids that look better than the originals. And they plug in so they can be easily replaced. I re-did the tail to let the CF tail boom sit at the right angle to be a more convincing tail shaft. The glue and paint are drying. A new aileron servo (the cause of the crash) and it will be better than new. Pictures to follow.

The beauty of this whole project is that if I destroy it in a crash, for $12.99 I can build a brand new one. And MUCH faster because I have the kinks worked out. The original was painted with enamel, which takes forever to dry. Next one will be acrylic.

I think the real reason The Whirlybirds is not syndicated is that it is old, dated, doesn't have a "classic" following and worst of all, is black and white. I am grateful that I have the DVDs that I have. Got them on Ebay.

Paul
Old 02-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK, as promised..... version 2.

I re-made the skids so that they are replaceable and simply plug in. The skid itself is small diameter aluminum tubing, the verticals are 1mm CF rod and the cross members are CF tube. The crossmembers are split at the edge of the fuse so that the skid assemblies plug onto 1mm CF rods through the crossmembers.

I added a short 2mm CF rod on the tail cage and the tail motor carrier plugs onto it.

The rest of the "tail boom" is used as a rear support for the mechanism as well as a simulation of the tail shaft.

I heated the plastic frame in the vicinity of the servos and bent them outward to clear the servos. I need a more controlled method of heating a small area... I used a small flame and almost melted the frame.

The tanks are press fit mounted on the rear canopy support rods using 2mm ID CF tube stubs.

So that is how she stands today. Now that I have the kinks worked out, it will be MUCH easier to build another if I need to. Now to look into some home made decals.....

Paul
Old 02-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is very cool pgoelz! I'm trying to find a model kit of the Bat Copter from the 1960's Batman tv movie pictured below that I can put either MSRx or MCPx mechanics into.
Shawn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Batcopter.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	290056  
2 Bld SR's 1 w/ MH Upgrades, 1 Nite Fly, MCPx V2 Walkera V100D08 rtf Composite-Arf 2.3m Extra 330l w/ DA85 H9 Tango w/ O.S. 55AX, Top Flite Flite Streak and Nobler Control Line, Fly Zone DR1 RTF. new owner of a DX8
R_C Addict is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, the Bat Copter looks like a stock Bell-47G with bat wings. Should not be hard to make from the Revell kit. Just keep the wings light!

Paul
Old 02-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default MCPX - MD-500

Here are a few photos of my MCPx with a couple different MD-500 bodies.

The bodies are scale outlines of the MD-500 printed on glossy photo paper, folded
and assembled.

More details over in the other thread:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...288157&page=45
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	USArmyCamo1.jpg
Views:	1302
Size:	440.5 KB
ID:	290983   Click image for larger version

Name:	USArmyCamo2.jpg
Views:	805
Size:	457.1 KB
ID:	290984   Click image for larger version

Name:	USArmyCamo3.jpg
Views:	827
Size:	456.6 KB
ID:	290985   Click image for larger version

Name:	USnavyMD500-1.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	290986  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MCPxUSNTIPS.pdf (621.2 KB, 202 views)
File Type: pdf MCPxUSARMYcamo.pdf (664.2 KB, 198 views)
File Type: pdf MCPXMD-500outline.pdf (12.0 KB, 205 views)
TDMModels is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK, I am about finished with the Bell 47 conversion and I've created a photo album with some better photos.

I installed the cockpit controls, painted the blades, installed a white tail rotor and generally cleaned things up a bit.

With a Nanotech cell, it flies for three minutes with decent head speed and reserves. Really turns heads too. I keep trying to tell people that it was MUCH easier than it looks but I don't think they believe me in this RTF day and age

The only thing that remains is to find some inkjet water slide material and do some decals. I'd like to at least put N975B on the sides of the cabin and the Whirlybirds logo on the front of the canopy to hide the glue dot that holds the canopy to the cabin interior. But I think the blades would look cool with some tiny Bell logos on them too.

I was thinking of lights but if you look at N975B in the TV show, it doesn't have any lights except the landing light under the cabin.... right where my battery goes.

Paul
Old 02-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Paul, That is "WAY TO COOL"!!!
Drev is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks! I am pretty pleased with it myself. Best $12.99 I have spent in a while. That is on a par with a replacement MCPx canopy

Paul
Old 02-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great Job, Paul. Very impressed. :thumb up:

I am hoping I will be able to show something soon. Not as nice, but still.

Fly Safe!

Erwin

Edit: Hmm... the Thumb up icon isn't working for me... oh well.

Last edited by Erwin Landau; 02-21-2012 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: Trying to insert a Thumb Up
Erwin Landau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

that looks totally awesome!
JT_Amain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's a link to a pdf of write up I did for our club newsletter with a bit more detail.

Paul
Old 03-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

And for those of you who wanted to see it fly.... and especially those of you who remember the 1950s TV show The Whirlybirds, here you go!

The Micro Whirlybird(s) (better audio) (1 min 57 sec)

You have no idea how hard it is to be the pilot and the videographer at the same time.... and fly low and accurately

Paul

Last edited by pgoelz; 03-09-2012 at 09:11 AM..
Old 03-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
And for those of you who wanted to see it fly.... and especially those of you who remember the 1950s TV show The Whirlybirds, here you go!

http://youtu.be/_weSctgar7M

You have no idea how hard it is to be the pilot and the videographer at the same time.... and fly low and accurately

Paul
Look Out!! It's Godzilla!!!

cool video, dang giants wandering the place must make it hard to fly sometimes.
MikeMT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

By the way, in a related vein.... I switched to Turnigy 300mAH 35C cells to handle the added weight. They were fine for a couple weeks but just the last couple days have dropped off very noticeably. Just as others said they do. They would still be OK at the stock weight, but in the Bell, they are falling off fast. They are now just a bit better than the stock 250mAH cells.

So on to Lightning Power cells.... they claim to be even better. Should be here in a day or two. We'll see

Paul
Old 03-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMT View Post
Look Out!! It's Godzilla!!!

cool video, dang giants wandering the place must make it hard to fly sometimes.
I thought it was cool when the guy walked through the scene and passed behind the heli instead of in front like the perspective suggested.

OOH, that reminds me of that creepy Twilight Zone episode with the flying saucer and the farmhouse

Paul
Old 03-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by questerng View Post
HAHAHAHA.. I don't think there's any multi-blade out there to convert..

I got inspired by a TURBINE Mi-24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STdAr1JNXIU

Like what badfrog say.. weight will be an issue and the narrow chassis will be a challenge to fit as well..

In fact after my Snowwolf.. I pick up a few other kit.. cost of kit is too good to reject

This is too addictive..

Daddy wants!!
KableGuy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Multi Blade sneak peak...

Hi guys,

Here are two of my babies. The Four Blade will be dressed up as a OH-6 and the Three blade will eventually become a Schweizer 300C.

Just have to get them so far that they actually fly nice and true... still work to be done...

Fly Safe!

Erwin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6623.jpg
Views:	1394
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	299317  
Erwin Landau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 04:49 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default compliments + fuses

Hi Erwin.
My compliments for the heads!!
Did anyone try these fuselages from Germany?

http://www.heli-scale-quality.com/co...art/Itemid,43/

I am working on a M*A*S*H Bell following pgoelz's style..

Regards,

--Federico

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in