Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > FMA/Revolectrix Product Support

FMA/Revolectrix Product Support FMA/Revolectrix Factory Product Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #861 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Speaking of flying it, you guys (beta testers) didn't seem to have the little funnel thing that the newly released manual stipulates.

Personally I am not very keen to have that thing dangle under the boom braces, so the question is what happens if you only install the tubing?
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 06:44 AM   #862 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I wasn't one of them, just for the record, but in another thread, just now, Tim, the chairman of FMA, said failure to install the streamer will result in HD failure, and likely a crash.

Possibly worse, you will have to lie to the set-up module, and my mother told me I should never lie.

Cheers

Sutty
sutty is online now        Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #863 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hmm, Ok. So what's the change from the beta units then? They definitely didn't have any streamers.
It looks ridiculous on the heli to have that thing dangle under the boom
Old 08-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #864 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hati View Post
Speaking of flying it, you guys (beta testers) didn't seem to have the little funnel thing that the newly released manual stipulates.

Personally I am not very keen to have that thing dangle under the boom braces, so the question is what happens if you only install the tubing?
Quote:
Hmm, Ok. So what's the change from the beta units then? They definitely didn't have any streamers.
It looks ridiculous on the heli to have that thing dangle under the boom
What and where did you get the impression of what was the included hardware?
To the best of my knowledge, no one gave any specifics..
What the difference is a smaller more compact unit

nightflyr is online now        Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #865 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Hi Guys
Yes the beta testers always had a static streamer on their helicopter. The plastic funnel is to reduce weight so it will weathervane correctly. The only way to get accurate barometric pressure/altitude readings at the static port is to have the air flowing at 90 deg to the holes in the static pressure tube and a weathervane type static pressure tube is the only way to accomplish this feat.
Jack
PowerLab 8
jdd1 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #866 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

I'm not thrilled about the idea, but I went back and looked at the videos again full screen. Yes, the static streamer was in the videos.

I've got a brand new Century e640 that looks great. Was not crazy about messing up the look by installing the IR sensors, and am less thrilled about installing the streamer. However I'm pushing myself to learn some soft 3D and that new heli will not be new for long without it. Guys at the field will probably laugh and point...ha ha... he has got his training wheels on
Old 08-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #867 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by distructor View Post
I'm not thrilled about the idea, but I went back and looked at the videos again full screen. Yes, the static streamer was in the videos.

I've got a brand new Century e640 that looks great. Was not crazy about messing up the look by installing the IR sensors, and am less thrilled about installing the streamer. However I'm pushing myself to learn some soft 3D and that new heli will not be new for long without it. Guys at the field will probably laugh and point...ha ha... he has got his training wheels on
As long as it floats your boat and you're learning and having fun with it... who cares! Some guys at my field made fun of me when I showed up with a canopy big enough to drive a semi under... they laughed when I struggled to set it up. But as soon as the temps hit over 95, they were all huddling up under it like if it was a YMCA reunion!
AMA #934662
caralmar is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #868 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

You can always spend the extra money get a hc3sx if you don't want to turn your Heli into a nightmare of wires and modules, you don't need a module to flick a switch at 50 feet and nothing saves a Heli faster than a hc3sx one easy to flick gear switch and the heli shoots level and skyward. and you can get used to using it at any height not just 50 feet up. Its stupidly easy and fast to do while trying new 3d stuff.
Sambuka is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #869 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambuka View Post
You can always spend the extra money get a hc3sx if you don't want to turn your Heli into a nightmare of wires and modules, you don't need a module to flick a switch at 50 feet and nothing saves a Heli faster than a hc3sx one easy to flick gear switch and the heli shoots level and skyward. and you can get used to using it at any height not just 50 feet up. Its stupidly easy and fast to do while trying new 3d stuff.
You have yet to provide data proving your claim to this ..."and nothing saves a Heli faster than a hc3sx".

If you wish to promote the SX unit ..please do so in the HC forum.

If your attempting to derail the FMA HD thread,It would be appreciated by all those who are trying gathering information on the FMA HD unit if this thread can stay on topic.

Thank you

Old 08-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #870 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
If all I wanted was the bailout function, I'd have gone with the MSH Brain. Yes, the hc3sx provides a bit more, but its not really what I wanted. My natural reaction when in trouble is to fight the helicopter till it hits the ground, and I don't think that is a bad thing. Finding and hitting the bailout switch usually occurs to me about 3 seconds to late.

Forcing myself to flying above 50 feet is something I should be doing anyway. I'll guess live with extra clutter, and I will try to be disciplined and fly the heli like it does not have the Hard Deck. Maybe someday I'll be good enough that I wont need it.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #871 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Many pilots do need a module to flip a switch for them when in a disoriented, stressful situation. With CPII you can still manually flip the switch as with a hc3sx for below 50' recovery. Also nothing is quicker than an emergency recovery than CPII with the HD module. Also when CPII HD has completed an inverted ER, the helicopter is now upright and level, an orientation that any pilot can relate to. The helicopter is also in a super stable mode that prevents the pilot from inadvertently fighting or over-controlling the helicopter into an inverted or extreme steep and dangerous orientation that could result in a crash. With hc3sx the helicopter is now level but still inverted after the ER. Inverted is still a disoriented orientation for many and may not help the pilot.
PowerLab 8
Old 08-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #872 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post
You have yet to provide data proving your claim to this ..."and nothing saves a Heli faster than a hc3sx".

If your attempting to derail the FMA HD thread,It would be appreciated by all those who are trying gathering information on the FMA HD unit if this thread can stay on topic.

Thank you
Quote:

Thank you
It's a discussion thread on a forum, not your private thread for promotion of your new product, he mentioned he didn't like the idea of all the modules so I mentioned another option he may of found useful. Doesn't do harddeck but IMO is far better.

I bought a co pilot ii, as a customer I dont see why I can't comment in here on my experiences with co pilot ii or other units that do similar things.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #873 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdd1 View Post
With hc3sx the helicopter is now level but still inverted after the ER. Inverted is still a disoriented orientation for many and may not help the pilot.
The Hc3sx has many options, new pilots can have the Heli level upright only and auto climb same as you mentioned the co pilot2 does during it's harddeck bailout. No worries of disoriention, that inverted leveling option is for more advanced fliers to turn on at a later stage.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #874 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
It's a discussion thread on a forum, not your private thread for promotion of your new product, he mentioned he didn't like the idea of all the modules so I mentioned another option he may of found useful. Doesn't do harddeck but IMO is far better.

I bought a co pilot ii, as a customer I dont see why I can't comment in here on my experiences with co pilot ii or other units that do similar things.
Your quite correct this isn't a private thread...
But if I read it correctly it is a thread who's purpose is to exchange and educate on the installation and function/use of the hard deck which is the title of this thread.

As to doing similar functions, As to switchable bail out function, I agree on both platforms. But all the HC3-SX units I own do not have a HD feature which is the basis of this thread.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #875 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
What and where did you get the impression of what was the included hardware?
To the best of my knowledge, no one gave any specifics..
What the difference is a smaller more compact unit
Re-read my post please. Special mention to the newly released manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdd1 View Post
Hi Guys
Yes the beta testers always had a static streamer on their helicopter. The plastic funnel is to reduce weight so it will weathervane correctly. The only way to get accurate barometric pressure/altitude readings at the static port is to have the air flowing at 90 deg to the holes in the static pressure tube and a weathervane type static pressure tube is the only way to accomplish this feat.
Jack
Yeah I get the reason, just don't recall seeing it on the videos posted.

Quote:
:
Like above, don't recall that part at all.

Quote:
Missing the point. No other unit on the market today (for helis, not multirotor toys) does the emergency recovery automatically, WITHOUT interference to your flying above the set altitude.

I am flying for quite a while now (2 years plus), never got the CPII because I didn't want the stabilising effect and I didn't want to learn bad habits like letting the sticks go when you loose the plot, instead of trying to save the heli. As for the "hit a switch to activate", almost the same as hitting throttle hold.

However the hard deck takes out the "wall" from the learning process of flying a heli. Lets face it, unless you are a Curtis, Nick, Kyle and co, you will never stop learning with a heli. I periodically hit the wall, that stops progress for longer then necessary. I fly big air mostly so the 50' minimum height doesn't bother me at all. It is just the tool for me really, except the looks of that funnel.

Back to the beta testers: is there an alternative for helis other than that funnel? The tubing I can live with, like the plane option. The funnel is a royal eye sore!
Old 08-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #876 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As has be stated by the President of FMA,
The streamer is required for proper operation of the HD unit.
Without it install excessive errors in altitude will happen.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #877 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Back to the beta testers: is there an alternative for helis other than that funnel?
Hi Hati,

No there is no alternative. We test flew helicopters for over a year trying to find a location or locations for static pressure tube and many apparatuses that would consistently and accurately read barometric pressure. We found no point or location on a helicopter that will do this while flying a helicopter in a multitude of directions and orientations and speeds. FMA through exhaustive R&D eventually developed a way to obtain accurate barometric pressure readings regardless of the orientation or direction or speed of travel. That way, was the weathervaning static pressure tube. That works. Nothing else we ever tested did.

Please reread page 5 of the Hard Deck user manual for further exclamation of the need for the static pressure tube to weathervane.

Just a thought to ponder. No one ever thought fly bars looked good either but we accepted them and used them for years and many still do. Why, because they made the helicopter fly better. WOW, what a mess of parts and linkages that encompassed.

Jack
PowerLab 8
Old 08-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #878 (permalink)
Registered Users

It may look funky but if it does its job I am so going to love it. I have recently been flying my 450 at 50' high and it is no problem with seeing it as I fly it horizontally 150' or more away a lot.
Since the CPII is on a 700 I am so awaiting its arrival. I think I ordered soon enough to be in the first batch.
In the mean time I am awaiting parts to repair the 700 from a mechanical failure.
The mCPx is one thing to learn on but learning on a 700 without fear. That is going to be huge!
MichiganFlyer is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 01:48 AM   #879 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Jack. Bit of a bummer, but no deal breaker ( I have had my order in since the videos were first released).

I want it as an advanced learning tool, so the looks on my Logo 400SE will have to make do.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:24 AM   #880 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks Jack. Bit of a bummer, but no deal breaker ( I have had my order in since the videos were first released).

I want it as an advanced learning tool, so the looks on my Logo 400SE will have to make do.
+1. Not a deal breaker. It's a learning tool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in