Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > X5

X5 Discussion and support of the Gaui X5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

If you look at the pictures above one of them has the holes actually marked with red lines.
Do you work for or with Gaui?
Tower is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Extra holes

Deleted double post
Old 01-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower View Post
If you look at the pictures above one of them has the holes actually marked with red lines.
Do you work for or with Gaui?
Sorry - no idea what those are for, no I don't work for Gaui, I have had a Gaui 550 for about 4 years and followed the X4 and X5 with interest
Mikej is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ah - to bad - I was hoping for an inside track to a fix
Old 01-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Head update

The initial response from FH technical support has been unhelpful so far and I have begun trying to gather more information for GAUI.. (email to FH and Gaui)

"I continue to work on the problems with the head and shaft of the X4.
I baked the head in the oven and then used extra long hex keys and was able to get one grip off (bolt). I have not been able to get the second (bolt) one off. I will likely need a new feathering shaft but will keep trying.

There is a clear change in diameter of the inside bore of the head. At this point I am wondering if there is an error on the drawings? It shows the shaft bolt going through the lower hole on the shaft. The head will go down just far enough , if forced, to reach the top hole as shown below. I have removed a lot of material from inside the head but with a drill press and by turning the drill manually, the change in inside diameter is significant however and I do not have a drill that will fit it perfectly?

I have also attempted to remove any burs on the main shaft that are causing a possible problem with 600 grit emery paper this does not appear to make any difference."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Head and shaft.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	284223  
Old 01-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Really sad to hear as the most expensive 500 (425 blades) heli on the market.
rotaryguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 01:54 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower View Post
The initial response from FH technical support has been unhelpful so far and I have begun trying to gather more information for GAUI.. (email to FH and Gaui)

"I continue to work on the problems with the head and shaft of the X4.
I baked the head in the oven and then used extra long hex keys and was able to get one grip off (bolt). I have not been able to get the second (bolt) one off. I will likely need a new feathering shaft but will keep trying.

There is a clear change in diameter of the inside bore of the head. At this point I am wondering if there is an error on the drawings? It shows the shaft bolt going through the lower hole on the shaft. The head will go down just far enough , if forced, to reach the top hole as shown below. I have removed a lot of material from inside the head but with a drill press and by turning the drill manually, the change in inside diameter is significant however and I do not have a drill that will fit it perfectly?

I have also attempted to remove any burs on the main shaft that are causing a possible problem with 600 grit emery paper this does not appear to make any difference."
That sounds like a maufacturing fault to me - there is no way that you should need to attack a new kit with a drill bit. Personally I would push the supplier for a replacement head block - or even buy one myself just to check that it really is wrong and so that I could get on with the build, real shame
Mikej is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gaui X4 Canopy

The canopy looks really good. And I like the three attachment point system (trex 500ESP) with a capture at the front of the canopy at the forward bottom edge. Unfortunately GAUI left out the forward capture point and any form of securing mechanism other than the two canopy pins at the top of the fuselage. Without the battery in place the nose of the canopy moved up and down more than 1 inch. With a gentle squeeze (AKA air pressure) it flips right up. Worth a video below

It also moves side to side about an inch. A 3000ma 20c battery would not fit. With a 2600ma 40 c battery I could position it so that most of the play was gone but it still moves up and down and side to side and rubs the wires. Its good looking but may not be useable without some modification? It seems that heli manufacturers occasionally turn canopy design over to artists or someone else with limited technical skill. This is the 4th heli I've built (from 3 different manufacturers) that the canopy and its mount do not make good design sense.

Last edited by Tower; 01-29-2012 at 04:38 PM..
Old 01-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gaui X4 Tail

The tail went together very well. The pictures tell the story. The only minor change I made was to glue the bearing to the torque rod as you do with that other manufacturer - when I tried to insert it (as is) the bearing slid on the rod. 2 Drops of CA on the rod fixed that.

Everything turns smoothly and there is zero slop. The assembly leave the impression of being high quality, strong, light and simple. I really like the gear housing. It is one piece with a few attachments. I also like the the antirotation mechanisms - there is a solid screw and a rugged clamp that keep the mechanics from rotating on the boom.

The grips gave me a bit of concern at first because I was not sure how to get that lock nut off the shaft. I do not have a socket wrench that will fit down inside the grip. A pair of haemostats did a fine job. The bearings were dry and needed lubrication. They felt very smooth and lubricated before I took them apart - as always check everything!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tail 2.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	284717   Click image for larger version

Name:	parts.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	284718   Click image for larger version

Name:	grips.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	284719  

Last edited by Tower; 01-29-2012 at 04:41 PM..
Old 01-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

It just looks like the holes on the canopy are too far back... I have seen this before on other birds.
irishmatt18 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default CAnopy holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmatt18 View Post
It just looks like the holes on the canopy are too far back... I have seen this before on other birds.
I was thinking the same thing. The battery space inside is tighter than I would have thought and I wonder if they did it on purpose so it would fit an average battery?
I am thinking of adding an extension to the bottom plate and have been experimenting with some carbon fiber pieces. I'd like to widen the contact point as well to spread the load a bit.
This project is becoming a bit of an experiment and adventure. I may take the head to a machine shop to have it bored out if I don't hear from Gaui early in the week.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:24 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Are u able to weigh yours yet? Specs list 1800g or so, without packs. That's a heavy friggen 500 class if that's correct. Lol. Most 500s are in the range of 1500-1700 WITH packs.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am really disappointed seeing all your problems with this kit. I had high hopes to get my hands on one but giving your laundry list of problems and the price it just gets pushed further back.
Keep us posted on your problem resolution with the build.
Also, can you measure the clearance between motor and servo? Really interested in if you will be locked in to a 3026 size motor. Thanks!
rotaryguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default The Head - no stopping!

I am not good at waiting - so - I scoured the Annapolis Valley and finally located an 8mm drill bit at Fastenall - thanks guys!! I can confidentially say there is not another place within 30 kms (and likely 100) that has one. This is a rare bird.

I locked it in my bench top drill press and very carefully rotated it by hand. I was worried about it binding on the aluminum if I powered it up. I removed quite a bit of material (see photo) in small increments. The head now fits perfectly and construction is back underway.

As you can see from the pictures the head is being assembled. I have been unable to get the second bolt out of the feathering shaft but will make one more attempt before reinstalling the grips.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	drill.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	285110   Click image for larger version

Name:	press.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	285111   Click image for larger version

Name:	filings.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	285112   Click image for larger version

Name:	head and arms.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	285113  
Old 01-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaryguy View Post
I am really disappointed seeing all your problems with this kit. I had high hopes to get my hands on one but giving your laundry list of problems and the price it just gets pushed further back.
Keep us posted on your problem resolution with the build.
Also, can you measure the clearance between motor and servo? Really interested in if you will be locked in to a 3026 size motor. Thanks!
Hey RotaryGuy

3mm / 120 thou is as close as I can get - hard to reach! There is enough room between the servo and the motor mount to slide a folded piece of writing paper.

It has been an adventure so far - I have some ideas using magnets and a piece of carbon fiber to secure the canopy.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdstudio View Post
Are u able to weigh yours yet? Specs list 1800g or so, without packs. That's a heavy friggen 500 class if that's correct. Lol. Most 500s are in the range of 1500-1700 WITH packs.
I will measure it when I get the rest of it together. I can say that it has the feel of being very rigid. We'll see. I will compare it with the 500EFL and post some stats and pictures.

Cheers
Old 01-31-2012, 01:56 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Update on Tech Support

An update on tech support for this product. Keeping in mind Chinese new year was last week and everything was shut down.

I have heard back from FH this morning and 2 days ago. I have had 3 emails from them and they are trying to help. They have forwarded my information to GAUI. FH has offered to send out a new Main Rotor Yoke Set. have asked them to hold until hearing from GAUI.

This is a new kit to the market and I was expecting some challanges. This is the list of issues I forwarded to GAUI. The ones in blue I believe are important to have resolved in the kit.

1. Minor error in the plans indicating the incorrect number of countersunk screws required.
2. Holes in the landing gear are too small for M3 bolts
3. The area where the motor mount bolts sit should be relieved a bit or provide an extra set of M3 bolts the scorpion motor bolt heads will not fit and had to be replaced
4. Tolerance on the slots for the gyro plate needs tightening up the gyro plate moves around and I guess will have to be glued in place?
5. There is no reference to the supplied servo arms in the manual (some nicer looking arms would be nice as well)
6. Supply bolts of the right length to mount the front servo assembly. The two 14 mm long bolts at the top are too short - I have cut longer bolts to fit.
7. There is no servo vibration isolation screwed directly to metal?
8. Blade grips are very difficult to remove I have only been able to get one bolt off the feathering shaft ( I have heated it with a soldering iron). I will try a blow torch?
9. The X4 FBL Head does not fit on the main shaft. I have purchased an 8mm drill (very hard to find here!) and reamed it out and sanded down the top of the shaft (sanding shaft was FH recommendation) it is not pretty but it worked.
10. Additional instructions would help in several places - especially around the angle of the tail (vertical stabilizer) with respect to the main shaft. What is the right angle?
11. The umbrella gears make a lot of noise is this normal?
12. The canopy is not secured at the bottom/front. It moves around I am trying to come up with a modification to hold it in place.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:29 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have had a good look at the feathering shaft now. The metal is flared at the end that was really stuck – I used a small butane torch to heat it and ended up using lock jaw pliers to get it off, the wooden bench vice grips would not hold it and it simply rotated in the ball link plier shaft clamps. The flare is quite noticeable but still fits through the bearing. Both ends of the shaft appear to be machined in some way?

One of the open bearings B6x13x3.5 was jammed in the grip. I had to use cylinder in the bench vice to press it out, when I pressed it out to remove it it must have damaged the inner race, although I pushed from inside against the thrust bearing inner washer? – the open bearing does not turn smoothly when reassembled.

I will need some parts now to finish this build - I am good and stuck Almost made it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shaft.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	285240   Click image for larger version

Name:	bearing.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	285241   Click image for larger version

Name:	drawings.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	285242  

Last edited by Tower; 01-31-2012 at 10:44 AM..
Old 02-01-2012, 05:18 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 500EFL - X4

Time on my hands until parts are secured, so; some early pictures attached.

Some very obvious differences;

- X4 is a lot narrower than a 500EFL
- The tail is bit longer and there is a lot more meat in it (check out the torque tube!)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	285475   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	285476   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	285477   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	285478   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	285479  

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	285480  
Old 02-02-2012, 04:39 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Customer service

Flying Hobby has stepped up, as always, and interfaced with Gaui who are sending out a new head. Gaui have not commented on the other issues and a fix for the Canopy is my responsibility. No worries - an interesting challenge - I will post what I come up with.

Interesting, pictures of parts like the feathering shaft on the website look different from the one I have. Just an early production run kit I suspect.

Tags
gaui x4 build

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in