Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

View Poll Results: Which do you use?
Velcro and velcro straps 29 82.86%
Strapping Tape 4 11.43%
Other method(please post and explain) 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Velcro or strapping tape?

What do you use?

Velcro and straps or just strapping tape?

Do you use another method?

Post pics of your setup..
AndrewAZ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used all of them on my recent 700 build. Because I mounted the ESC and all of the electronics up front, I have to slide the lipos farther back in the frame to get the CG correct. Unfortunately, this causes the rear lipo to only be supported by about half of the battery tray. I thought making the lipos into a "stick" with strapping tape would help the rear lipo out.

My foray into 12s territory is definitely a work in progress.
NRPY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRPY View Post
I used all of them on my recent 700 build. Because I mounted the ESC and all of the electronics up front, I have to slide the lipos farther back in the frame to get the CG correct. Unfortunately, this causes the rear lipo to only be supported by about half of the battery tray. I thought making the lipos into a "stick" with strapping tape would help the rear lipo out.

My foray into 12s territory is definitely a work in progress.
Are you using the Align battery trays? The KDE v2 trays add about 23mm to the length of the tray and helps support larger/longer batteries. I also have almost all my stuff up front but have not balanced for CG yet. I plan on using smaller packs though, so We will see..
AndrewAZ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use velcro to hold the batteries to the plastic tray and then strapping tape to secure them. In the helicopter I use velcro on both sides of the tray to secure them to the helicopter.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Both,

Wide Strapping Tape to tie the batteries together. Velcro on the lipo and tray to hold them into the tray. and Velcro Straps.

Synergy N5C sitting in Box...
Mystic3D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
HF Support

I use the packs for my Logo 500, so I use velcro to stick the packs together and velcro to hold it to the tray. Then velcro straps to hold it all together.
ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any one heard from the thread starter recently or know of any other forums he is on
gmoneyhobbit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Question

I have the V2 latch mount receiver upgrade, and Align's aluminum battery trays. Is it safe to just "click" the battery tray in place and fly, or should I also use Velcro straps on the frame like recommended for the original V1? Seems like the lipo tray isn't going anywhere when clicked in place. Then again, the lipo tray is a heavy SOB.
NRPY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 11:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRPY View Post
I have the V2 latch mount receiver upgrade, and Align's aluminum battery trays. Is it safe to just "click" the battery tray in place and fly, or should I also use Velcro straps on the frame like recommended for the original V1? Seems like the lipo tray isn't going anywhere when clicked in place. Then again, the lipo tray is a heavy SOB.
I use a velcro strap around the front after I click the pack in ... just for good measure.
ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 01:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use a strip of velcro to keep the battery from sliding and velcro straps.

I have the 700E and the 7HV and have to be able to easily swap the batteries from one machine to the other (the trays are entirely different).
Old 12-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use velcro on the bottom to prevent sliding and 2 straps per battery to hold them in place (CHP tray - my favorite).....that being said i'm thinking about switching over to strapping tape as i recently had my first crash and the batteries actually broke the the straps and sheared (not sure on the order) the velcro resulting in them coming out the front and sustaining some damage.
bengrier is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Guys,
I'm looking for some good tips in this area. I know there are other threads about battery tray installation methods, but I haven't been able to find a situation like mine yet. I fly Zippy 5000 40c batteries in my 700e. I'm not sure if my issue is caused by my batteries' width or what, but I sure have a heck of a time getting them in and out of my machine. I have the stock setup with the Align velcro straps and adhesive sections attaching my batteries to the tray. Again, maybe my Zippys are abnormally wide (haven't tried any other brand yet) but there is so much binding between the velcro straps and surrounding frame when I slide the tray in and out that the straps are starting to fray where they rub the frame. Do others see this too? The in-flight performance is fine, with about 40 flights using this setup with no problems. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well with mine I use just Velcro... that being said I also use alot. The whole tray and bottom of battery are covered in it. As for it being a pain to install/remove battery I had the same problem and after a little inspection I saw that the adhesive from the Velcro on the tray had squeezed if you will its way out from under the Velcro and made its way into the track in the frame of the Heli... and it only got worse over time so I carefully cleaned all the gunk outta the track and trimmed 3/¹6 inch more velcro off the battery tray cleaned up the sticky residue .. and perfect slides like a dream. Just my. 02

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1096cm2 View Post
Well with mine I use just Velcro... that being said I also use alot. The whole tray and bottom of battery are covered in it. As for it being a pain to install/remove battery I had the same problem and after a little inspection I saw that the adhesive from the Velcro on the tray had squeezed if you will its way out from under the Velcro and made its way into the track in the frame of the Heli... and it only got worse over time so I carefully cleaned all the gunk outta the track and trimmed 3/6 inch more velcro off the battery tray cleaned up the sticky residue .. and perfect slides like a dream. Just my. 02

So you don't use any straps at all? Interesting.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nope I don't use any straps it all. I slide the battery in from the back there's a stop in the front to stop the battery at the exact point for perfect c g, then I have holes drilled in the middle of the slides in the frame of the helli itself. In which I use a piece of all thread with a nut on both sides to hold the tray holding the batteries in place. It has worked perfect for me for 2 years

Old 02-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Super Velcro

Well,
I voted "other" just to be contrary, for both velcro and strapping tape have their uses. But I do use something else, maybe others would be interested in this "5x stronger than velcro" tape:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...E:L:OC:US:1123
It's pricey, and maybe too thick if you've clearance problems. But when you click in a battery with a piece of this stuck to the mount and another to the batt it durn well stays put. (Maybe add one reg vanilla velcro strap around the battery for tradition's sake).
salience is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.