Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Bell 47G conversion

After reading in the other forum about using a Revell 1:35 scale Bell 47G as a fuselage for the MCPx, I decided to try it. I did mine in black and yellow in honor of N975B, the Bell 47G in the original "Whirlybirds" TV show from the 1950s.

It isn't quite finished yet... still have to add the tanks (or at least the outer halves). Came in at 52 grams empty and 64 grams with battery. A tad heavy, but I think 3 to 3.5 minute flights are possible without stressing the battery.

I sandwiched the 3 in 1 board between the back of the cabin and the seat cushions. The seat bottom, back and clear bubble canopy are all one unit and held in with a super magnet. I had to cut the original canopy mounts short to get them in the frame. That is the only permanent change required to the mechanics. The mechanics are held in place in the Bell with two short pieces of 2mm ID CF tubing slipped over the stubs of the canopy rods. To convert back to pod and boom, I'll just make up adapters consisting of a short 2mm ID tube with a 1.5mm rod sticking out. Slipped over the canopy mount stubs, they will replace the cut off ends.

It flies fine but you can tell it is heavier. But it look WAY COOL in the air.

BTW, the LHS here has these for $12.99. I bought two.

Oh, I used the skids from the kit but found they are too soft to hold the weight without taking a set, so I reinforced them with a length of 1.5mm CF rod and they are fine.

Paul
pgoelz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

That looks freak'n awesome . I want one!

LouP
LouP is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

You should see it in the air..... aside from the insanely non-scale head speed, it looks pretty danged real.

I actually toyed with trying to fly it with the kit blades since they are scale length and chord and actually have a decent looking symmetrical airfoil. I figured that if I added some thin CF mat to the underside they might actually be stiff and strong enough to fly at a lower head speed. But in the end I opted against it because I could not come up with an easy way to make the root strong enough.

I've been told on the other forum that switching to 300mAH cells brings the flight time back up to a reasonable length.

Paul
Old 02-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like it alot Paul, nice work!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Awesome job!!!! I love these scale MCPx's! be sure to post it in the scale MCPx sticky! Post a video when you can...

Scale MCPX sticky thread...
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=357249
Old 02-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is Friggen Sweet!!! You just inspired me to find a model of the BatCopter from the 1960's TV series for a future conversion.
2 Bld SR's 1 w/ MH Upgrades, 1 Nite Fly, MCPx V2 Walkera V100D08 rtf Composite-Arf 2.3m Extra 330l w/ DA85 H9 Tango w/ O.S. 55AX, Top Flite Flite Streak and Nobler Control Line, Fly Zone DR1 RTF. new owner of a DX8
R_C Addict is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 05:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Unless you are brushless, weight is a major concern. I suspect the Bell-47G might be the only doable conversion because it is probably the lightest of them all with its skeleton boom structure. I don't think I'd want to fly at much more than my current 64 grams AUW on a stock MCPx.

Paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in